Playing dungeons and dragons with a dragon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So as a few of y'all might know already, I'm a humongous nerd. And I love to play dungeons and dragons with my family, and we almost always bring a Beardie along for the ride, so I figured it'd be fun to share some photos of Daisy hanging out with us at our last Session. :lol: View media item 60531View media item 60647View media item 61146

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

I have a friend who plays too. Maybe you'll find a way to incorporate daisy into the gameplay :) might add a fun element.

-Brandon

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
"You turn a corner and face... a bearded dragon."
"A giant bearded dragon?"
"No, a normal sized one."
"Awww, that's cute. I bend over to pick it up."
"Roll for outcome, please."
<Rolls a 2>
"There's a puff of dust-colored smoke and suddenly you're looking UP at the bearded dragon. You've been turned into a cricket."
"RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!!!!!"

:D

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
ComicBookMama":15tupvza said:
<Rolls a 2>
"There's a puff of dust-colored smoke and suddenly you're looking UP at the bearded dragon. You've been turned into a cricket."

????

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
claudiusx":1i01vodo said:
Hi there,

I have a friend who plays too. Maybe you'll find a way to incorporate daisy into the gameplay :) might add a fun element.

-Brandon
Oh yes, my character's Familiar often takes the form of a Beardie. Or a duck. Lol
ComicBookMama":1i01vodo said:
<Rolls a 2>

LOL! That's awesome!! :laughhard:

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
ComicBookMama":1nyeqag9 said:
<Rolls a 2>

I Recently started Dungeon Mastering my own campaign and I actually had this be a random encounter, in which one of the players was nearly eaten by a rather friendly but hungry Beardie. It was fun, my players enjoyed that little round. :)

It went a little something like this:

"Roll a perception check, You see in the bushes a small lizardlike creature basking in it. Despite the fact that the shadowfell has no sun, it appears to be happily basking. What are you going to do?"
"It's giant I'm guessing?"
"Nope! It's a normal sized, adorable little Beardie."
Lyklore (a eladarin-elf cleric) "well then," he walks up to it and pets it "aww, what a cute little harmless lizard! You're so cuuuute!".
The Beardie gives a sideways head Glare at you.
"Then When you petted it, a huge puff of smoke erupted from around it. The dragon is now 50 feet tall it seems, but wait, the rest of your party is also giant! You are now 2 inches tall!."
"The dragon starts eyeing you hungrily, you wonder if 2-inch tall elves are a staple food for ShadowFell Beardies."
Lyklore Panics and scurries up his friend's boot.
The Beardie follows and jumps up to grab the tiny elf with its tongue.
It head bobs in triumph.
My character, a shadow mage (sorcerer subclass) eventually casts a spell that regains Lyklore's size, now at normal size, but with a adorable Beardie gnawing on his arm.

I loved playing out that encounter. :lol:

Another encounter in my campaign was when a NPC mentioned they had a Animal that they needed to rehome, and that animal was the same Beardie from before.
Another PC decided to adopt the dragon and make him her familiar, Named Loki, toootally not based off of any existing animals or anything....
View media item 61041

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
I would love to try bringing my girl for a game. I've never had a regular D&D group, the one group I do people bring pets (i.e. dogs). Maybe when it's summer next year I can try to bring Devlyn along. It could be nice to have a game outside in the shade for humans and a sunny spot for a dragon on a leash.

MariosDad

Hatchling Member
That's amazing! I love it when real world stuff gets incorporated into a game.

What a fun twist to that encounter, too! I'm the DM most of the time, so I appreciate clever encounters for players to deal with, and that was neat!

And DorgEndo, maybe we'll all have to play over Discord or something sometime!

HippieLizards":2df83s4l said:
Oh yes, my character's Familiar often takes the form of a Beardie. Or a duck. Lol
Classic! Sounds like some fun RP in your group :D

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Man, I haven't DM'd a game since Gary Gygax was still with his wife and it was TSR :lol: , though I still have all my old (and very battered) guides and a couple of modules that are in pristine condition. I miss that & having matured into a fantasy writer in the meantime, I might not torture my players with my story-telling as much now. Torturing them for other reasons? Yeahhhh, still gonna do that :lol: :lol: :lol:

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
MariosDad":3acysud8 said:
That's amazing! I love it when real world stuff gets incorporated into a game.

What a fun twist to that encounter, too! I'm the DM most of the time, so I appreciate clever encounters for players to deal with, and that was neat!

And DorgEndo, maybe we'll all have to play over Discord or something sometime!

HippieLizards":3acysud8 said:
Classic! Sounds like some fun RP in your group :D
Thanks! And yeah, I Love it too!

Thank you! My Players loved it, This is my first ever campaign and I've been doing since October I believe. My Dad is the DM for the other games. But Thanks, I Love to make up some weird and fun encounters for my players.

Another one of my favorites was when a Corgi ran out from the bushes and was just being all cute with the players going "Bork", All fun and dandy right? Well then when they gave him tummy rubs and said his name wrong (one of them called him a Bark accidentally, Which incidentally was the same PC who got nearly eaten by a beardie), The dog suddenly grew to a huge size and went "NOW I AM A HALFBORK!"
Half orc, But better. He just Barked at the party and sent them back in time 5 minutes if he licked any of them.
But then the stonehearted guide that I play threw one of his rotten goat sandwiches at the HalfBork and scared it off.

That was a fun encounter.

And Indeed. The RP is the best part. :D

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Aaradimian":az63mpdr said:
having matured into a fantasy writer in the meantime, I might not torture my players with my story-telling as much now. Torturing them for other reasons? Yeahhhh, still gonna do that :lol: :lol: :lol:
I Still need to read those books lol.

And Yes, Torturing your players is the best part!! :lol:

I, too, bring my dragon to Dungeons & Dragons (she pops out of my fleece where she is tucked in, to say hello to my brothers I play with over Roll20.net)

But I was so inspired, I even created a creature in my game world called a "bazilikar" which is basically a giant bearded dragon that can be semi-domesticated and used as a mount for long treks along the desert trade routes (and for protection against giant Colony Ants -- bazilikar are their natural predators)

101399-8855584417.jpg

Bazilikar
STR: 14
DEX: 15
CON: 12
INT: 6
WIS: 10
CHA: 6

AC: 12
Speed: 50
Attacks:
Bite - 1d4+4, has advantage against Colony Ants
Claw - 1d4 damage; if successful, opponent is knocked to the ground and pinned (grappled with escape DC 12)

MariosDad

Hatchling Member
karmakollector":3elgsrg0 said:
I, too, bring my dragon to Dungeons & Dragons (she pops out of my fleece where she is tucked in, to say hello to my brothers I play with over Roll20.net)

But I was so inspired, I even created a creature in my game world called a "bazilikar" which is basically a giant bearded dragon that can be semi-domesticated and used as a mount for long treks along the desert trade routes (and for protection against giant Colony Ants -- bazilikar are their natural predators)

101399-8855584417.jpg

Bazilikar
STR: 14
DEX: 15
CON: 12
INT: 6
WIS: 10
CHA: 6

AC: 12
Speed: 50
Attacks:
Bite - 1d4+4, has advantage against Colony Ants
Claw - 1d4 damage; if successful, opponent is knocked to the ground and pinned (grappled with escape DC 12)

Oh wow, I'm yoinking that for my campaign for sure!! Nice homebrew, love the advantage again their natural prey!

My players are on a ship right now heading to the Pirate Isles...maybe a mishap on a desert island is in their future...meet a friendly Bazilikar rider who figured out how to tame them to cross the wastes...for the archetype I'm thinking Kuiil from The Mandalorian...
http://www.myconfinedspace.com/wp-c...aracter-posters-e28093-kuiil-the-ugnaught.jpg

What a coincidence... my crew just passed through the Pirate Isles (whereupon they got mixed up in the dirty politics of the Seven Rogues of Crescent Bay, and eventually found themselves ambushed by orcish pirate Terry the Gray -- formerly known as Terry the Terrible, when he was in his prime -- and set to be auctioned as slaves in the Slavers Square of Iz-Khalij on the sprawling desert continent of Az-Kahar.

(Work-in-Progress map of the Pirate Isles)
101399-9192151767.jpg

But a mysterious cult, the Greyscales, rescued them, and have tasked them with a trek across the treacherous red desert to assassinate the Chancellor of Iz-Tanin (hence the need for a bazilikar in their employ. Definitely came in handy in the colony ant encounter, but I forgot to mention they spend a few rounds feeding on the carcass when they get a kill, and there were quite a few failed Animal Handling rolls to rein in the stubbornly-feeding beast)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom