One year old going nuts

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

Re: One year old going nuts

Postby MrSpectrum » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:45 am

NelsonBernard wrote:I moved him on to locusts full time when he stopped chasing/eating crickets. He has the occasional servings of waxworms. He had one fruit beetle grub and refused more and he did the same with roaches. He usually eats his salad but again, probably not enough. Maybe ill try him on crickets again.

Perhaps a different species of roach? (Depending on where you are & what's legal/available).
Sorry I don't have a good list or nutritional chart handy, but there are many species/varieties.
Perhaps others have more info(?)
User avatar
MrSpectrum
Sub-Adult Poster
 
Posts: 775
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:10 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: One year old going nuts

Postby NelsonBernard » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:09 am

MrSpectrum wrote:It might, but there are other possibilities. Mine glass surfs around meal time; afterward, he basks it off.

If it is a reflection reaction, it might also be accompanied by other stress indicators--bearding, bobbing, stress spots... Here are some POVs on possible reasons & solutions:
bearded dragon glass surfing

One possible remedy is to put some light-colored, busy-patterned wrapping paper on the outside of the glass (facing in); this should break up the reflection/make it more difficult for him to see it. If the glass is only in the front of the enclosure, you can still try this; the paper doesn't need to cover the entire glass--just high enough that he can't see his reflection.

Right now I'm more concerned about the weight loss; it's possible--depending on the reason for it--that the surfing is related.


So the vet said he is not too concerned about his weight right now as he is still quite muscular and because hes not eating he will drop weight.

I stupidly forgot to take a poo sample but i dont think the size would have bern good enough.

Vet said to increase his baths, and put some reptoboost in, electrolyte powder to try and stimulate him.

I need to try and feed him out of his viv to get him to hunt naturally - i dont usually do this in case he doesnt go after the bugs.

Vet commented on how i use a CHE for heat and if both that and lamp are on itll be too hot but they rarely are on together. Didnt really have an answer about the glass surfing - said to make sure he is getting 12 hours of light a day which he does.

So until i get a sample from him to send to the vet...the worry goes on
NelsonBernard
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:17 pm

Re: One year old going nuts

Postby NelsonBernard » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:28 am

Vet found worm eggs in his poo sample and has gave me two doses of medication. Half of the first dose went down his chin and the second is due in 10 days.

Ive taken all the sand out. Turned the CHE temperature down. He's been eating again but very small amounts so isn't putting on weight but he is having bowel movements every other day.

I'm also bathing him every other day with reptoboost in it so hopefully he has taken some of that in whem drinking.

STILL

he is glass surfing and wanting to be out of his viv most of the time until he gets tired. Currently, he runs around the room and ends up in the christmas tree.

I'm really struggling and I don't know what to do anymore.
NelsonBernard
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:17 pm

Re: One year old going nuts

Postby KarrieRee » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:23 am

Have you tried feeding him butter worms or super worms? What about BSFL---? I would get a glass bowl that bugs / worms cant get out of and put your greens in that and add the super worms like 3 and some BSFL on top of salad -- make sure he sees you do this and the movement will get him to the bowl --- it could be the hormonal thing going on as some have mentioned w/ the constant glass surfing-- it drives me crazy too -- does he settle down after you have gotten him out for like 1-2 hrs -- mine does -- the medication might affect his appetite so I would beware of that for now- hopefully the meds will clear that up -- what are you using for a substrate now?
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict
 
Posts: 5212
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am

Re: One year old going nuts

Postby NelsonBernard » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:30 am

KarrieRee wrote:Have you tried feeding him butter worms or super worms? What about BSFL---? I would get a glass bowl that bugs / worms cant get out of and put your greens in that and add the super worms like 3 and some BSFL on top of salad -- make sure he sees you do this and the movement will get him to the bowl --- it could be the hormonal thing going on as some have mentioned w/ the constant glass surfing-- it drives me crazy too -- does he settle down after you have gotten him out for like 1-2 hrs -- mine does -- the medication might affect his appetite so I would beware of that for now- hopefully the meds will clear that up -- what are you using for a substrate now?
Karrie


I'll try a glass bowl asap. Today he went after a cricket and then let me feed him 8 waxworms.

He will happily sit in the xmas tree for ages but when he's cold I put him back and he will bask for a little before going to the window again. The later it gets, he just sits at the window rather than surfing.

The 2 local exotic shops have a limited stock. Pretty much crickets, locusts, waxworms and mealworms. I think they have superworms but nelson didnt digest mealworms so I have been reluctant to try. He had 1 fly grub but turned his nose up at more. I could try him on superworms to see. As for BSFL, I've never seen that in store.

He has no subtrate at all now. Just the wooden floor of the viv.
NelsonBernard
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:17 pm

Re: One year old going nuts

Postby KarrieRee » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:41 am

Please order BSFL from here https://symtonbsf.com/ they are another staple feeder that does not need to be dusted --- please order large ----- I also got 2 of their white bowls from them -- they are nice --- my two do not like waxworms and my oldest one does not like super worms - my baby does - I have never fed them meal worms -- they do like horn worms and butter worms -- I order most of my feeders on line -- they are also fed dubia roaches - I order them from www.dubiaroaches.com and also get butter worms and hornworms from them as well - they do charge shipping but if you order enough its worth it --- I usually order 200 roaches at a time as they do last and will keep for long periods of time - they are kept in a 10 gallon aquarium and fed dubia food and carrots for hydration --
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict
 
Posts: 5212
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am

Re: One year old going nuts

Postby NelsonBernard » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:45 am

KarrieRee wrote:Please order BSFL from here https://symtonbsf.com/ they are another staple feeder that does not need to be dusted --- please order large ----- I also got 2 of their white bowls from them -- they are nice --- my two do not like waxworms and my oldest one does not like super worms - my baby does - I have never fed them meal worms -- they do like horn worms and butter worms -- I order most of my feeders on line -- they are also fed dubia roaches - I order them from http://www.dubiaroaches.com and also get butter worms and hornworms from them as well - they do charge shipping but if you order enough its worth it --- I usually order 200 roaches at a time as they do last and will keep for long periods of time - they are kept in a 10 gallon aquarium and fed dubia food and carrots for hydration --
Karrie


I'm in the UK so those websites aren't viable options but I coulr always look for similar over here.
NelsonBernard
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:17 pm

Re: One year old going nuts

Postby KarrieRee » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:15 am

Ok did not know that --- you can try finding the BSFL over there I dont know what they would call them over there but you could google them to see what they look like and go from there - here in the states they have several names like calci worms nutri grubs BSFL- so see if you can find them there -
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict
 
Posts: 5212
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: One year old going nuts

Postby NelsonBernard » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:20 am

KarrieRee wrote:Ok did not know that --- you can try finding the BSFL over there I dont know what they would call them over there but you could google them to see what they look like and go from there - here in the states they have several names like calci worms nutri grubs BSFL- so see if you can find them there -
Karrie


Thank you!!

Ive just been to the store and got locusts, crickets and morioworms for now 🤞

I got the little bugger to help with loneliness but he's definitely keeping me occupied!
NelsonBernard
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:17 pm

Re: One year old going nuts

Postby KarrieRee » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:30 am

Ok so your morioworms are the super worms here --- you can try and find some butter worms -- they are good to feed as well ---
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict
 
Posts: 5212
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am

Re: One year old going nuts

Postby NelsonBernard » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:24 am

KarrieRee wrote:Ok so your morioworms are the super worms here --- you can try and find some butter worms -- they are good to feed as well ---
Karrie


I woke up today to find he had done another poo. He has since eaten 2 superworms and a locust. However he is still gping wild around his tank climbing and running and going up the side of his viv.

I got him out of his tank for a but and once again straight into the christmas tree. He was settled when he was sat on me. As soon as I go to put him back in his viv, he tries to climb up my arm to stay out
NelsonBernard
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:17 pm

Re: One year old going nuts

Postby KarrieRee » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:37 am

I am wondering if hes going thru a hormonal thing -------------- he likes it out of his tank -- and hes in a 180 gallon tank approx??? the tank conversion gave me this for gallon size is this correct? I cant imagine why he would be wanting out of that tank like he is --- can you post a pic of the tank please --
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict
 
Posts: 5212
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am

Re: One year old going nuts

Postby NelsonBernard » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:57 am

KarrieRee wrote:I am wondering if hes going thru a hormonal thing -------------- he likes it out of his tank -- and hes in a 180 gallon tank approx??? the tank conversion gave me this for gallon size is this correct? I cant imagine why he would be wanting out of that tank like he is --- can you post a pic of the tank please --
Karrie


I'm not home to measure again but it was the biggest option when I got him so I didnt have to buy a bigger one at some point.

Its so bizarre because this started as soon as he turned 1 as if it was by a switch!

[Click image to enlarge]
NelsonBernard
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:17 pm

Re: One year old going nuts

Postby AHBD » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:34 am

He may just be reacting to his reflection. BTW, are you sure he's a male ? And the tank is definitely not a 180 gallon, more like 50-60 at the most. It's a bit small make sure the temps are not too hot. Reptaboost bath will do nothing for him, he'd have to be drinking quite a bit. He does look healthy though, just going through the hormonal thing. :) Oh, what type of parasites does he have + meds. is he on ?
AHBD
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 23557
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:20 am

Re: One year old going nuts

Postby KarrieRee » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:40 am

What kind of UVB are you using and is it on top of the screen or inside the tank? I cant see it --- and the tank almost looks to small for him --- that could be why he is surfing the walls all the time but I need to know what your using for a UVB--- lighting plays a big role in their behavior --- so if we can get that ruled out --
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict
 
Posts: 5212
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

PreviousNext

Return to Health

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users