Hand tucked backwards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I be concerned? My beardied was basking on his log and his hand was tucked in just like you'd think it would look. Sorry I don't have a picture now because he moved. But once I let him out he runs around perfectly with no issues whatsoever. He moves around his tank perfectly also. I've seen others report that it's a sign of MBD or meningitis but is it always the case? Is he just resting weirdly because he's lazier? I know people say not to worry when they tuck their hands in while they're asleep, so does that apply to when they're awake?

Setup
40 Gallon
Reptisun 10.0 T8, mounted inside 8 inches away from basking spot
Basking Spot is 105°F
Humidity is 40%-50%

Feeding
10-15 Dubias a day
7-10 Mealworms a day
10-20 Phoenix Worms a day
4-6 Waxworms a day

Dubias are calcium dusted 6 times a day, I leave the rest of the bugs alone

Should I replace my UVB bulb? I can get a new one in 8 days, do you think my beardie can hold out until then? Please let me know what I can do and your inputs, thank you!

ChrisKim1010047

Original Poster
Edit: Dubias are dusted 6 times A WEEK, not day
With Repticalcium with D3

106660-827414128.jpg

Also, I caught him doing it again.

He is also about to shed if that helps. He just pooped today, solid poop, squishy white urate. Seemed like a perfectly healthy poop.

No swollen joints or fingers. I hope it's not too drastic.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sometimes they just lay like that since their hands are pretty flexible. If he is able to walk on it normally and it looks like it's oriented properly when he isn't laying down then it's probably not cause for concern. When my dragon falls asleep like that sometimes I just untuck it in case it's not comfortable for him.

ChrisKim1010047

Original Poster
Well that's reassuring, he seems to love climbing. I have him out right now and he is all over my shelf right now. Just in case, I have a brand new Reptisun 10.0 t8 coming in a few days ao I don't have to worry about this old one. I plan on switching to T5's in January when I have a bit more saved up. I will still be checking on him daily to see if his hand persists. If it does, should I then take action and see a vet?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It doesn't hurt to have a new bulb in place. If he keeps sleeping on the hand like that I wouldn't worry about it much as long as he has strength in it and it isn't curling under when he walks and tries using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom