Semi hard urates

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

Semi hard urates

Postby ChrisKim1010047 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:13 pm

Hello all, just a question about my beardie's urate.
First of all, he is about 9 to 10 months old and is about to shed, I see his skin dulling. His basking spot is 100-105°F and I have a Reptisun 10.0 UVB bulb with tinfoil reflector mounted inside his tank (only used for about a month), about 8-9 inches from his basking spot. Humidity hovers from 40%-50% because it's naturally high in California. He eats a diet of Dubias, Phoenix worms and Mealworms. He'll eat about 15 1/2 inch dubias, about 7 mealworms and 20 Phoenix worms a day. I dust the Dubia's in calcium every day, and leave the Mealworms and Phoenix worms alone. He also gets the occasional waxworm. He eats a few pieces of kale a day also, not sure exactly how much.

I had just picked up his poop and I always inspect it before I flush it. The poop was solid, and he was able to digest all his food. However, his urate was slightly hard, it took a little pressure to break it up with a Q-tip. It is all white, with no discoloration. I assume this is because he is not as hydrated as he could be. I've tried a lot to get him hydrated, right now I have a water bowl in his tank. Other than that, I give him baths about 2-3 times a week, I mist him maybe 3-4 times a week, and I try to give him water with a dropper, which he takes maybe 1 or 2 drops. Should I be concerned? I noticed his skin is a little wrinkly sometimes, but it's only been recent. Is it because of his shedding? Or too much calcium intake? Please let me know what I can do to help him out, I know passing hard urates isn't the best for them. Thank you!!
ChrisKim1010047
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Semi hard urates

Postby ChrisKim1010047 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:20 pm

Side note: I've done the "pinch test" on his back skin, and it takes about 1 1/2 seconds for it to flatten out again. It usually only wrinkles when I pick him up from the sides. Right now, he is basking and his skin has no wrinkles at all.
ChrisKim1010047
Newbie Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:35 pm

It could be the reflector on the hood beings its tin foil--- are you going to get a regular hood in the future w/ a reflector on it? How far is the UVB from his basking spot? I am assuming its a T 8? Is he drinking from his baths? I dont think you need to be bathing him as much as you are w/ you misting him and getting him to drink from a dropper / syringe --
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict

Postby ChrisKim1010047 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:39 pm

It's a Reptisun 10.0 T8 that is 8-9 inches from his basking spot as I said in my first post. I typically don't want him to drink too much from the bath as I just use sink water and I don't want him drinking all the chemicals.

I plan to switch to 10.0 T5 in January.
ChrisKim1010047
Newbie Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:54 pm

Sorry missed that part- I would try adjusting the distance to 6-8 inches-- see if that makes a difference-- the T 5 will need to be 12-15 inches inside the tank---
You can start washing his greens before you serve them and he will get moisture from them as well
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Health