How to know if a beardie is going to lay eggs

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

How to know if a beardie is going to lay eggs

Postby Gingerofthenight » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:52 am

My (female) beardie mushu has been very restless lately he has been frantically running around his tank and digging and glass surfing. if i take him out and let him run around he's content for a few hours but tends to get frisky again. he's completely healthy and is at least 14 months old. he's in a 40 gallon tank it's maybe 90f in his basking spot and i have both a heat lamp and a ubv lamp for him. i cannot think of anything that could be stressing him out, there have been no major changes to anything lately and he is my only pet. he's also still eating the normal amount. pretty much nothing has changed but he's really fired up and energetic. is it possible he is going to lay eggs? and how would i know and if he is? what do i do if he is

(note: i am pretty sure my beardie is a female but i call him "he" because i did not know that when i got him and i named him after the dragon in mulan)
Gingerofthenight
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:52 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: How to know if a beardie is going to lay eggs

Postby claudiusx » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:05 am

Look up some pictures on how to sex your dragon and posting up a picture like that of yours and we will be able to tell you what Mushu is.

However, maybe 90 in his basking spot isn't really acceptable. Firstly, there can't be a maybe. Temperatures are the most important thing for this creatures. You need to know what it is. And secondly, 90f isn't hot enough for a basking surface temp. You need a basking surface temp of around 100-105 for a dragon around 14 months old.

Either way, its most likely hormones one way or another. Either because mushu is gravid, or because mushu wants to find a female. Posting up a picture so we can sex Mushu will help.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
User avatar
claudiusx
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 16575
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California

Re: How to know if a beardie is going to lay eggs

Postby Gingerofthenight » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:22 am

claudiusx wrote:Look up some pictures on how to sex your dragon and posting up a picture like that of yours and we will be able to tell you what Mushu is.

However, maybe 90 in his basking spot isn't really acceptable. Firstly, there can't be a maybe. Temperatures are the most important thing for this creatures. You need to know what it is. And secondly, 90f isn't hot enough for a basking surface temp. You need a basking surface temp of around 100-105 for a dragon around 14 months old.

Either way, its most likely hormones one way or another. Either because mushu is gravid, or because mushu wants to find a female. Posting up a picture so we can sex Mushu will help.

-Brandon

i am about to check the temp with a more accurate thermometer here's the best pic i could manage to get [Click image to enlarge]
Gingerofthenight
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:52 pm

Re: How to know if a beardie is going to lay eggs

Postby claudiusx » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:27 am

It's a bit hard to tell with that picture, if you can try again but have the light source off to the side, or just use your rooms ambient lighting.

It appears that I see the shadows of two hemipenes in the tail, which would indicate male. But one more picture without the lighting facing the camera should help.

And great that you will be double checking the temps, it's probably ok since he's so active right now, but it is always best to know! :D

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
User avatar
claudiusx
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 16575
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California

Re: How to know if a beardie is going to lay eggs

Postby Gingerofthenight » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:41 am

claudiusx wrote:It's a bit hard to tell with that picture, if you can try again but have the light source off to the side, or just use your rooms ambient lighting.

It appears that I see the shadows of two hemipenes in the tail, which would indicate male. But one more picture without the lighting facing the camera should help.

And great that you will be double checking the temps, it's probably ok since he's so active right now, but it is always best to know! :D

-Brandon

here's another one and one without the flashlight [Click image to enlarge]
[Click image to enlarge]
also i checked with a more accurate thermometer and it's actually around 101f in there
Gingerofthenight
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:52 pm

Re: How to know if a beardie is going to lay eggs

Postby claudiusx » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:45 am

Gingerofthenight wrote: [Click image to enlarge]


That's the one. You definitely have a male on your hands. No more confusion for Mushu LOL

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
User avatar
claudiusx
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 16575
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: How to know if a beardie is going to lay eggs

Postby Gingerofthenight » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:49 am

claudiusx wrote:
Gingerofthenight wrote: [Click image to enlarge]


That's the one. You definitely have a male on your hands. No more confusion for Mushu LOL

-Brandon

so pretty much he's just.. "lonley" :lol: i also have another somewhat unrelated question about lighting could you possibly help me with ?
Gingerofthenight
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:52 pm

Re: How to know if a beardie is going to lay eggs

Postby claudiusx » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:53 am

Yup, he's at an age where Hormones are really kicking in, and he's probably just getting a little stir crazy lol. If you let him out to run around the room it should help burn off some of his energy lol.

And of course, ask away :)

Temperature and lighting are extremely important so it's always best to double check and make sure everything is good.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
User avatar
claudiusx
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 16575
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California

Re: How to know if a beardie is going to lay eggs

Postby Gingerofthenight » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:00 pm

claudiusx wrote:Yup, he's at an age where Hormones are really kicking in, and he's probably just getting a little stir crazy lol. If you let him out to run around the room it should help burn off some of his energy lol.

And of course, ask away :)

Temperature and lighting are extremely important so it's always best to double check and make sure everything is good.

-Brandon

[Click image to enlarge]

this is the uvb light i have been using for him for a very long time but i have read that it can cause problems because it is the coil kind i think it could possibly be hurting his eyes. i do not have the money/space/lamp for the long ones is there any other kind i can buy that will be better for him?
Gingerofthenight
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:52 pm

Re: How to know if a beardie is going to lay eggs

Postby claudiusx » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:17 pm

It most likely isn't bothering his eyes, that was mainly a bad batch of CFL's a few years ago. However, most CFL's still are not adequate as their output severely diminishes with distance, and unfortunately the one you have is one of those. Your dragon needs to be way too close to it to get proper exposure.

It really would be best to invest in a tube version.
However, Arcadia does make a decent CFL. Or they used to. I can't seem to find it at the moment. It still isn't as good as a tube, but it will suffice if you can't afford the tube and fixture at this point. The tube and fixture can be had for around 50 bucks.

This one is stronger:
https://www.joshsfrogs.com/exo-terra-re ... -watt.html
So it will be an upgrade but still not really best case scenario.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
User avatar
claudiusx
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 16575
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California

Re: How to know if a beardie is going to lay eggs

Postby Gingerofthenight » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:22 pm

claudiusx wrote:It most likely isn't bothering his eyes, that was mainly a bad batch of CFL's a few years ago. However, most CFL's still are not adequate as their output severely diminishes with distance, and unfortunately the one you have is one of those. Your dragon needs to be way too close to it to get proper exposure.

It really would be best to invest in a tube version.
However, Arcadia does make a decent CFL. Or they used to. I can't seem to find it at the moment. It still isn't as good as a tube, but it will suffice if you can't afford the tube and fixture at this point. The tube and fixture can be had for around 50 bucks.

This one is stronger:
https://www.joshsfrogs.com/exo-terra-re ... -watt.html
So it will be an upgrade but still not really best case scenario.

-Brandon

ok thank you i may be able to get a tube one, just not any time soon i just wanted to make sure it wont harm him while i try to upgrade.
Gingerofthenight
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:52 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


Return to Health

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot]