Anybody up for teaching their beardie to "speak"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Some of you dog alphas out there may have recently heard/read about Stella, an 18 mo. old mixed-breed who is being taught to "speak" by her speech pathologist alpha.
Google: dog 29 words

In a YT vid I just watched, the pathologist was asked if the technique might work with cats. She answered in the affirmative.

So why not try it with beardies? I figure somebody out there must be crazy enough to try it... :laughing6:

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
What do you mean? Our two beardies talk to my wife and I all the time. If only one of us is there when it happens, we relate what they say to the other person via text & the "eyes with no mouth" emoticon. It's a bit premature, but we captioned this conversation with Otto for the less beardie-attuned.

100140-970230094.jpg

As you said in your other post, viva la weird! :lol:

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Have you read/heard about Stella? It' a little more than anthropomorphization or doing Bullwinkle/Scooby-Do voices; it's more like Kanzi--the bonobo who communicates via a lexigram board.

But it sounds like you may possess the requisite stuff... you're crazy enough! :roll: :laughhard:

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
MrSpectrum":2ytzpfrh said:
Have you read/heard about Stella? It' a little more than anthropomorphization or doing Bullwinkle/Scooby-Do voices; it's more like Kanzi--the bonobo who communicates via a lexigram board.

But it sounds like you may possess the requisite stuff... you're crazy enough! :roll: :laughhard:
Hahaha, guilty as charged! No, I haven't heard about Stella though... just a sec...

What's that Otto? Lassie's down the well again? Sorry, I gotta go! :lol:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
They don't need to actually " speak vocally ", they simply use their telepathy skills to get their human slaves to do their bidding.... heck all skink , gecko , monitor and dragon keepers know this.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Dog & cat owners do too. It's been a while since we've had a cat (allergies) but dogs spend an inordinate amount of time studying their alphas/owners body language. That's one reason they seem telepathic.

Zardoz is catching on too; he gets excited when I take his bug bowl out of the enclosure, having learned it usually comes back filled with num-nums.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
MrSpectrum":28fbc65g said:
Zardoz is catching on too; he gets excited when I take his bug bowl out of the enclosure, having learned it usually comes back filled with num-nums.

Figment knows what the cricket shaker sounds like and comes running when he hears me unscrewing the top!

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Guinea pigs/cavies go nuts with the sound of crinkling cellophane (like the sound of a vegetable wrapper).

All the food-related stuff is basic Pavlov... I'm curious what the future may bring with other kinds of stimuli... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom