Yellow Fungus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexaak

My new beardie, Cheeto has some yellow patches on his tummy and near his vent. I’m assuming he’s about 6-7 months old, but I’ve only had him about a month and a half. Here’s some history. (Refer to pictures at bottom of post).

I work at PetSmart. We got him in and he had a small wound near his tail, which we assumed was tail rot. We took him to a specialty reptile vet who said it was a thermal burn with some retained shed. She said to do daily betadine soaks and use a shedding aid to help. I adopted him, and now he has yellow patches on his stomach, and the area that was only about a centimeter on his tail now covers majority of his tail and some of his back.

I took him to the vet today, and he said that his skin looks suspicious. We sent in a skin sample, and I’ll be hoping to get the results within a week. The veterinarian said that we shouldn’t start treatment until we know - but I bought some lamisil and some betadine. I gave him a betadine soak tonight, and put some lamisil all over his body. Some of his scales are rubbing off in chunks, revealing bloody looking wounds underneath. Some spots on him look waxy and shiny. I’m honestly terrified. I’ve been freaking out all day. I need advice, how can I help my baby? Is this yellow fungus?

He is in a 40gallon enclosure. 100w basking light and 26w UVB during the day. Temp ranges from about 90-95 degrees on the basking spot and 80-85 degrees on the cold side. This sometimes gets warmer depending on the temp outside. At night, I use a 60w ceramic heat emitter, the temp for the warm side stays at a out 80 degrees throughout the night and 70-80 degrees on the cold side. Humidity reads about 40-50%. He gets baths once or twice weekly, and gets fed crickets daily. He has had a decreased appetite for the last week or so. His eyes look great, nice and bright, not sunken in.

I would greatly appreciate any advice, tips, tricks, etc. Cheeto is my first beardie and I’m very attached to him already. I’ll do anything I can to make sure he’s comfortable.

Thank you,

Alexa

106618-589473322.jpg
106618-9588997517.jpg
106618-8802556018.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi Alexa boy I dont know about the yellow fungus --- one of the others are gonna haft to look --- and now hes got chunks of skin coming off??? Yikes ---- I would think the Betadine would help but hopefully the vet will find out what it is and advise on treatment -- you said you had the 26 watt UVB ? Is that in a reflector dome and 6-8 inches from his basking spot? I have not heard anything bad about those bulbs so far --- its the 13 watt you want to stay away from ---- well lets hope Tracie or AHBD or Brandon respond to your post here --- and see if they can help you
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Alexa, it does look like Y.F. but it's really good that you've been proactive + gotten the treatment started.The test will confirm what it is for sure but it's best to keep up what you're doing to be safe. Since some of the scales are coming off mix some raw [ unpasteurized ] honey with the Lamisil, it has a lot of healing properties and may benefit him as well as soothe the raw spots. To boost his immune system get his basking spot to 100. Other than that it sounds like you're taking great care of Cheeto and hopefully he will be around for a while. One thing to add though, there are different opinions on the betadine baths, some feel that it may spread it so you might just give a betadine bath every few days but on the other days just apply the watered down betadine to the bad areas and once it's dry apply the Lamisil + raw honey mix.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
And make sure there are no crickets in the tank or left in the tank if your feeding crickets --- they will bother the wounds and you dont want that
Karrie

Alexaak

Original Poster
Thank you both for your input. He would not eat crickets or waxworms today, and also didn’t eat his greens yesterday. I’m getting worried ? I will stop the betadine soaks and instead apply it to the bad areas. I will also buy some honey and apply that. He does not like me touching his back legs, back, or tail where the scabs and grey spots are...

I’m thinking it may be more severe than I’d like it to be. Is there any other kind of food I can feed him that might be easier for me to get into him?

Thank y’all again for your input,

Alexa

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Try dubia roaches -- maybe a few super worms is he eating salads? If you need websites for dubias let me know will post some
Karrie

Tfulton30

I’m so sorry your are having problems with your baby. I am also having some issues with my 5 year old and the vet can’t give me a straight answer as to what is going on. I do agree with one of the other posters you should up the temps especially since she/he (sorry can’t remember if you mentioned the sex) is still so young. When my girl was young it would usually be around 110 degrees. I hope everything is ok and please keep us posted.

Alexaak

Original Poster
Hi y’all,

Karrie, I work at PetSmart and my location sells Dubias, so I’ll try that! Thank you though ?

Tfulton30, thank you for your response. I’m sorry about your baby as well ? it’s really heartbreaking to see our babies go through sickness or anything.

To update y’all, it’s been a rough couple of days. I’ve been very sad and Cheeto just doesn’t seem his/herself (I’m not sure of the gender, I’ve been calling it a he!). He hasn’t ate for two days, so I bought some reptaboost and got some of that into him. He doesn’t like me touching the spots with yellow or the dark spots even. He’s sleeping in his cave tonight, which he has done once or twice before - so I’m not terribly concerned about that. I’m anxiously waiting on the results from the skin scraping... but for now I’m trying to treat him as if he is a normal dragon (that gets dabbed with betadine and rubbed with honey and lamisil, of course) and trying to make him feel as comfortable and loved as possible.

Thank you guys for caring about my sweet Cheeto, I’ll keep you posted.

Alexa

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing this evening?
It definitely looks like yellow fungus but hopefully you will get the skin results back soon.
Just do your best to keep him warm & comfortable & be sure his tank environment is spot
on for him.
Does he like the Reptaboost I hope?
I'm sure that the spots on the skin are sensitive & probably are somewhat sore, too. I hope
Cheeto is feeling better soon.

Tracie

Alexaak

Original Poster
Hi Tracie,

I called the vet today and they said I’ll most likely be getting the results back tomorrow evening. He ate four crickets yesterday and ate three today, but he’s very lethargic. He’s been laying on his basking spot with his eyes closed majority of the day - which is so out of the ordinary for him.

I raised his basking temp to 100 like suggested. He doesn’t seem to like the reptaboost much, but he’ll eat it. He’s still fighting me to get out of the critter tote when I feed him as well as trying to get out of my hands when I give him the reptaboost, so I see that as a good sign. It breaks my heart to see him so uncomfortable...

I’m nervous about the results but I’ve basically already convinced of what they will be...

Thank you for your thoughts,

Alexa

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Alexa,

That is very frustrating I know, when they are ill. I am so sorry, I hope you are able to get him
past all of this.
Are you giving a probiotic for him right now to try & help balance out his tummy?
Do your best & keep him warm overnight but no warmer than 80 or so. Let us know how
he is doing & when the test results come in.

Tracie

Alexaak

Original Poster
Hi everyone,

I got test results today, and Cheeto is positive for yellow fungus. It seems that the topical treatment I’ve been doing (betadine, Lamasil, and honey) seems to be working - as the yellow pieces of skin are falling off. I will be starting treatment for Cheeto tomorrow to hopefully get the fungus under control.

Does anyone have any tips to keeping him healthy while on treatment? I’ve heard it’s pretty aggressive treatment. I’m open to any and all suggestions. Thank you in advance!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ah, too bad Cheeto has yellow fungus, but I am not surprised by those results.
Which oral anti-fungal did they prescribe for him? The oral anti-fungals are hard on the
system so definitely keep him well hydrated to help out the kidneys. You can also consider
using a probiotic for him too for helping keep his tummy flora in check while on the meds.
I'm glad to hear that the lamisil & honey are helping out.
I hope he makes a full recovery!

Tracie

Alexaak

Original Poster
Tracie,

It’s definitely unfortunate that he has Y.F. but I wasn’t surprised either... I do not have any probiotics for him, what kind do you recommend?

Thank you,

Alexa

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Alexa,

How is little Cheeto doing today?
Are you wanting some powder or some liquid, for the probiotic?
Let us know which oral anti-fungal he is on, there are really only two substances that are used
for Yellow Fungus.
Let us know how he is doing!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom