Respiratory infection?

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

Respiratory infection?

Postby KamiSami » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:33 pm

I use to rescue bearded dragons, but as time went on I had to stop because situations change and I don't have the money for the constant vet visits. This has left me with three bearded dragons, 2 of which are healthy and well fed and housed. One of them though, was a difficult case. When I first got her she seemed to go in and out of sick phases. For as long as I could I kept bringing her back and forth to the vet. On two different occasions I needed to bring her in every three days(10 times) for injections because of... Something? And at the end of each session they'd say she's fine. In total she's been to the vet around 26 times) I went as far as putting off college so I could afford to do this. Now I think she has some form of respiratory infection. Reason being she'd have episodes where she'd breathe heavily and hack(like these loud wet gasps/coughs) and I just can't scrounge up the money to cover any form of vet costs. When I made a post in another reptile forum they said I should give her to someone who can afford to take care of her vet visits(and as much as it'd pain me to lose her, I agree) but I haven't been able to find anyone willing to take her. I try to be fully honest about her medical history so they'd know what they're getting into and sadly(but understandably) no one wants that kind of responsibility.
This has been going on for about half a year and aside from the hacking once in a while she seems okay. She's active and a good eater. My question is; is there anything I can do outside of a vet visit that would help her with this possible respiratory infection.
KamiSami
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:40 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Respiratory infection?

Postby KarrieRee » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:57 pm

Post pics of her please and is there mucous coming out of her nose or mouth -?
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box and post pics of her tank and lighting --- we need to see her husbandry
Karrie
KarrieRee
Extreme Poster
 
Posts: 4233
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am

Re: Respiratory infection?

Postby KamiSami » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:25 pm

KarrieRee wrote:Post pics of her please and is there mucous coming out of her nose or mouth -?
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box and post pics of her tank and lighting --- we need to see her husbandry
Karrie


Not sure if I did it right but...
KamiSami
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:40 am

Re: Respiratory infection?

Postby KarrieRee » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:36 pm

When you your pics come up click on it w/ message box up they should post in message
Karrie
KarrieRee
Extreme Poster
 
Posts: 4233
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am

Re: Respiratory infection?

Postby hmwyer » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:54 pm

I have been going through the exact same thing myself, but it's been on and off for 6 years and 4 different vets. All of which either say she's fine when she clearly isn't or just give me random meds to appease me. I've tried nebulizing with tylan 200 and it seemed to help, until it came back last week. So off to the vet I go again! Hopefully tomorrow! This is a newer vet who hasn't really seen her in a bad respiratory state yet. Sp hopefully he will do something....anyways, to insert and image....if you have uploaded them via the upload manager then you need to relly to the post and st the top of the screen you click on the button that says "ximg" and it will bring up your uploads. You just click each picture one at time to insert it. You can preview the message before posting to be sure it went through alright. Took me FOREVER to figure this out, so hopefully it helps! I will follow this thread and keep you posted if I find out anything useful that may help you too. I'm no expert compared to everyone else on here by any means, but if my Spyro is suddenly cured by something after all these years, I will for sure share that with everyone. :)
hmwyer
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:54 pm

Re: Respiratory infection?

Postby Drache613 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:14 pm

Hello,

I am sorry your dragon is having some trouble. It makes it really difficult when they have had
health issues for long periods of time.
What type of treatments have you tried so far?
We usually recommend keeping a dragon suspect of a respiratory infection warmer at night
so try using a ceramic heat emitter to keep the temps around 78-80 or so overnight. I would
also try increasing the basking temperatures to an optimal range if you haven't already. She
has been to the vets 26 times?
What is the humidity level in her tank?
What type of supplementation do you give her?
Post some pictures of her along with the setup for us too if you can.

Tracie
User avatar
Drache613
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 38860
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: May, Texas

Re: Respiratory infection?

Postby KamiSami » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:23 am

KarrieRee wrote:When you your pics come up click on it w/ message box up they should post in message
Karrie

I have no idea what you mean, this site is so confusing
KamiSami
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:40 am

Re: Respiratory infection?

Postby KamiSami » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:35 am

Drache613 wrote:Hello,

I am sorry your dragon is having some trouble. It makes it really difficult when they have had
health issues for long periods of time.
What type of treatments have you tried so far?
We usually recommend keeping a dragon suspect of a respiratory infection warmer at night
so try using a ceramic heat emitter to keep the temps around 78-80 or so overnight. I would
also try increasing the basking temperatures to an optimal range if you haven't already. She
has been to the vets 26 times?
What is the humidity level in her tank?
What type of supplementation do you give her?
Post some pictures of her along with the setup for us too if you can.

Tracie


I haven't tried anything so far. Before this site the only place I looked to for help was a reptile group and the only helpful thing they said was to give her away.
Keep the tank hotter at night? I can do that. And around 26,she saw them 6 individual times and then had to see them 10 times every 3 days on two different occasions for some sort of injection or vaccine. Temps fluctuate around 108 during the summer it was tethering at 115. No supplements. And I've been trying to figure out how to post pictures for the longest.
I hope this works
[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]
Last edited by KamiSami on Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
KamiSami
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:40 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Respiratory infection?

Postby KamiSami » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:37 am

[Click image to enlarge]
KamiSami wrote:
KarrieRee wrote:When you your pics come up click on it w/ message box up they should post in message
Karrie

[Click image to enlarge]
KamiSami
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:40 am

Re: Respiratory infection?

Postby KamiSami » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:12 pm

hmwyer wrote:I have been going through the exact same thing myself, but it's been on and off for 6 years and 4 different vets. All of which either say she's fine when she clearly isn't or just give me random meds to appease me. I've tried nebulizing with tylan 200 and it seemed to help, until it came back last week. So off to the vet I go again! Hopefully tomorrow! This is a newer vet who hasn't really seen her in a bad respiratory state yet. Sp hopefully he will do something....anyways, to insert and image....if you have uploaded them via the upload manager then you need to relly to the post and st the top of the screen you click on the button that says "ximg" and it will bring up your uploads. You just click each picture one at time to insert it. You can preview the message before posting to be sure it went through alright. Took me FOREVER to figure this out, so hopefully it helps! I will follow this thread and keep you posted if I find out anything useful that may help you too. I'm no expert compared to everyone else on here by any means, but if my Spyro is suddenly cured by something after all these years, I will for sure share that with everyone. :)


Thank you, I'd appreciate that so very much
KamiSami
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:40 am

Re: Respiratory infection?

Postby KarrieRee » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:36 pm

Repti-Sun 10 UVB Bulb? Is it the T5 or a T 8? If its the T 5 its fine on top of screen if its the T8 it should be inside the tank approx 6-8 inches from basking area --- is the cover off the bulb meaning is it exposed?
Karrie
KarrieRee
Extreme Poster
 
Posts: 4233
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am

Re: Respiratory infection?

Postby KarrieRee » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:02 pm

causes for RI---
Respiratory Infection Cause
Respiratory infections in bearded dragons occur if their environment is too cold, too humid or badly ventilated. Also, stress, bad diet, and overcrowding can also lead to respiratory disease.
Check to see if your tank has any of this going on----
Karrie
KarrieRee
Extreme Poster
 
Posts: 4233
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am

Re: Respiratory infection?

Postby Drache613 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:10 pm

Hello,

How is your girl doing this evening? She looks to be of good physical condition.
Did she eat anything for you today?
I hope she starts to feel better. Were you able to keep her tank around 80 overnight?
Let us know how she is doing, we are all pulling for her.

Tracie
User avatar
Drache613
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 38860
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: May, Texas

Re: Respiratory infection?

Postby KamiSami » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:14 pm

KarrieRee wrote:causes for RI---
Respiratory Infection Cause
Respiratory infections in bearded dragons occur if their environment is too cold, too humid or badly ventilated. Also, stress, bad diet, and overcrowding can also lead to respiratory disease.
Check to see if your tank has any of this going on----
Karrie

I asked the vet about her enclosure and they say it's fine. Her enclosure is basically the same as all the others minus peraonalized decor.
KamiSami
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:40 am

Re: Respiratory infection?

Postby KamiSami » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:18 pm

Drache613 wrote:Hello,

How is your girl doing this evening? She looks to be of good physical condition.
Did she eat anything for you today?
I hope she starts to feel better. Were you able to keep her tank around 80 overnight?
Let us know how she is doing, we are all pulling for her.

Tracie


I really don't think it's the set up because she basically has the same as all the others and they're fine. Still I tried using the ceramic heat bulb I already had for a few days before it stopped working and it'll be a while before I can afford another one. She eats well and sleep well, she seems healthy outside of those hacking fits she has every once in a while. 😔
KamiSami
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:40 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Next

Return to Beardie ER

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users