New bearded dragon won’t eat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, so I gotten my beardie at Petsmart. I am a new beardie owner. He looked overall healthy even his tank mates. He hasn’t eaten in a week ever since the day we got him. My temperature for his basking spot reads 100-105. His cooler side reads 80. He is in a 20 gallon long and is on paper towel substrate. He is also about 4.5 inches. The bulbs we have for him are the Reptisun 10.0 and the Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp (75 W). We bought him live crickets sprinkled with calcium and vitamins but won’t touch them. I was worried he won’t eat so I also bought freeze-dried crickets and put it on his salad but still won’t eat. I put him in the bath on Day 3 and he pooped but pooped out some blood. I resorted to baby food but he still won’t eat it! I would try and try again but he just won’t eat. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong or if it could be relocation stress. I stopped by the same Petsmart and the same tank mates look so much fatter and healthier compared to him. I’m so worried that he won’t survive.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's possibly just relocation stress. Keep an eye on the bloody poops though, you may want to have a fecal test done if that keeps up. Try offering some drops of water on his nose to lick up to try and keep him hydrated. Is he acting alert or is he lethargic? If he is alert and energetic he is probably OK.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They are all different. Sometimes it takes over a week, but they usually will start at least eating something.

Did you see blood? Or was the poo or urate just discolored?

What are you measuring your temps with?

-Brandon

I reckon he will be just fine. Mine did the same for the first month after I brought him home. I freaked out so much but he is a perfectly happy healthy boy. It will probably just be relocation stress, but if you are really concerned, get him checked at a vet. Good luck ?

sardemonlord

Original Poster
Hi guys, sorry for the late reply. I’ve been trying to do my best trying to get nutrients in him. He likes the chicken gravy baby food but refuses to eat it anymore. So he still won’t eat. It will be two weeks on Tuesday without eating. I am currently using the Reptisun 10.0 UVB Mini Compact. I am also using a temp gun I bought from amazon called Etekcity Infrared Thermometer.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Heat gun is good --- but please get rid of the 10.0 UVB Mini Compact--- they are basically no good and your dragon has not been getting any UVB so to speak ----------please replace w/ either a Reptisun 10.0 TUBE either the T 8 or T 5- the T 8 would need to go inside the tank 6-8 inches from basking or the T 5 is a stronger bulb and would need to go inside tank depending on screen mesh -- wide hole can be placed on top---- fine mesh inside tank approx 10-12 inches from basking---
Karrie

sardemonlord

Original Poster
Beardie still won’t eat. I will have to get the new bulb later today. I’ve noticed he’s been twitchy. Could it be the bulb I’m using at the moment? I’ve read it could be caused by a lack of calcium and vitamins. I’m really worried for him. I just want to see him improve.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If hes twitchy he might already be showing symptoms of MBD especially since he probably wasnt housed too well at the petstore.

So it's important to get him a proper uvb bulb so that he can absorb and utilize the calcium that he is ingesting from his food and supplements.

However, sometimes babies are just sick or unhealthy from bad breeding practices. That's really the only negative about buying from a petstore, you dont know the genetics or the breeder.

Hopefully your little guy turns around for you and starts doing better.

Can you post a pic of your tank and of him possibly?

-Brandon

sardemonlord

Original Poster
105687-210944079.jpg
105687-9347188314.jpg

I bought the T8, I’m not really sure how I will be able to mount it. If you guys could help with that it’ll be great!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
As long as the T 8 is 6-8 inches from basking area your good - you can get something higher so he can climb up closer - how far is it now from spot and does he seem to be enjoying the UVB? Do you have a screen for the tank ? If so you can use this
command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – plastic zip ties
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nylon-Cable-Tie-Ties-Black-2-5-3-5-4-8-7-6-9-X-100-150-200-300-370-530mm-UV-Good/332871964184?hash=item4d80b71618:m:m40KOkegiGiJeePUguhY5cQ&var=541991102297
Karrie

sardemonlord

Original Poster
I’m not sure what to use those for? I can adjust one of his logs so that it’s higher up. The T8 is not really directly on his basking spot because I don’t know how I would mount it. It’s going diagonally on his tank. Is there a contraption of some sort that I can use to have the hood light fixed on so that I don’t have it just hanging on top? And yes he very much likes it. The spot he’s sitting in is about 90 and is right under the T8. He seems to not really want to move from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom