IS MY BABY DYING

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyuksMama

Hatchling Member
I left for three days, my mom was supposed to watch my lizard but completely forgot about him in my room. I went in there, his beard was black, he eyes buldged out but closed he didn’t look like he was breathing and he didn’t respond to my touches. I turned his light on and picked him up, his eyes went to normal, and his beard went down. But he is weak, and barely responsive. I noticed he ate a large part of the paper towel in his enclosure. Is he sick? Is he dying? What do I do. Im terrified and a crying hot mess at 2 AM

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear this. How sad, he is probably very critical right now. How old
& big is he?
Do you have any pictures of him along with your tank setup?
If he is that critical, you will definitely need to intervene & get him warmed up slowly, overnight
so that he can boost his metabolism. Do you have a ceramic heat emitter to keep him around
80 or so overnight? Or, a heating pad, set on low you could put him on it to sleep? If you do
use a heating pad, be sure to place a towel in between him & the pad to keep it from getting too
hot.
Do you have any baby foods in the house? If not, I would recommend getting some chicken
or turkey baby food, mixed with sweet potatoes & squash baby food, to get into him. You can
use a dropper to drip some onto the end of his nose to see if he will lick that off.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

RyuksMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":13osjyw7 said:
Hello,

Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear this. How sad, he is probably very critical right now. How old
& big is he?
If he is that critical, you will definitely need to intervene & get him warmed up slowly, overnight
so that he can boost his metabolism. Do you have a ceramic heat emitter to keep him around
80 or so overnight? Or, a heating pad, set on low you could put him on it to sleep? If you do
use a heating pad, be sure to place a towel in between him & the pad to keep it from getting too
hot.
Do you have any baby foods in the house? If not, I would recommend getting some chicken
or turkey baby food, mixed with sweet potatoes & squash baby food, to get into him. You can
use a dropper to drip some onto the end of his nose to see if he will lick that off.

Tracie
He has made an incredible bounce back. Last night I heated him up with a heat pad and held him all night. Once warmed up he started eating a bit of his salad i made up. This morning he is very alert and jumping around his tank. It seems as if he is feeling a LOT better. But now I’m worried about impaction since he hasn’t pooped the whole time I was gone and he ate that paper towel I told you about. What can I do for this?

RyuksMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":jmk2d5my said:
Hello,

& big is he?
hot.

Tracie
He also seems very dehydrated but won’t take water from his nose. The only thing I can think to do other than that would be to give him baths?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's good that the heat helped him out. He probably just got really cold. Luckily metabolic functions decrease as they cool.

I would keep an eye on him for the next couple days. If hes eating salad that's great. You can mist the salad so there is more water content to it.

Hopefully all he needs is some TLC :)

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I dont think the paper towel will hurt him-- I have heard a lot worse things beardies have eaten like money coins etc.............. just watch for his poop - I am sure he will go soon--- are his basking temps around 105-110 or so ----------they tend to like it warmer
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It sounds like he is doing a lot better pretty quickly then once you got him warmed up
& his body started functioning more optimally, too.
How is he doing today?
That's a great thing he is eating his greens & salad. Were you able to get more oral fluids
into him?
Let me know how he is doing.

Tracie

RyuksMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":1au9ijsl said:
Hello,

It sounds like he is doing a lot better pretty quickly then once you got him warmed up
How is he doing today?
That's a great thing he is eating his greens & salad. Were you able to get more oral fluids
into him?

Tracie
He still hasn’t pooped in 5 days and he normally goes every day. I’ve been giving him baths but don’t know what else to do. Other than that he is great, and seems happy. Eating fine. But I’m afraid he might be impacted. My mom won’t let me take him to a vet because of how far it is.. what do I do?

RyuksMama":3sp2n67h said:
Drache613":3sp2n67h said:
Hello,

How is he doing today?
into him?

Tracie
He still hasn’t pooped in 5 days and he normally goes every day. I’ve been giving him baths but don’t know what else to do. Other than that he is great, and seems happy. Eating fine. But I’m afraid he might be impacted. My mom won’t let me take him to a vet because of how far it is.. what do I do?

You can gently massage your beardie's tummy. Warm baths are always good. How old is your beardie? My baby is about a year old and sometimes she doesn't go for up to five days at a time. When they get older they don't go everyday necessarily. Like others have suggested, misting salads with water helps get some hydration in them. I also give my beardie a blueberry every once in awhile if it seems like shes backed up. That always seems to help. Otherwise as I've seen suggested also, baby food works wonders or apple sauce.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your baby today?
Is he actively basking for a good portion of the day & does he have a clear beard, or, has it
been darker in color?
As suggested, a nice warm bath, letting him swim can promote GI tract motility along with the
extra hydration. The sugar free applesauce & canned pumpkin, mixed with a drop or two of
olive or coconut oil can help a lot also.

Tracie

RyuksMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":1onchbzp said:
Hello,

How is your baby today?
Is he actively basking for a good portion of the day & does he have a clear beard, or, has it
been darker in color?
As suggested, a nice warm bath, letting him swim can promote GI tract motility along with the
extra hydration. The sugar free applesauce & canned pumpkin, mixed with a drop or two of
olive or coconut oil can help a lot also.

Tracie
Thank you all so much for your great suggestions! Ryuk is doing great now. He is basking and moving around his cage like normal. He has eaten fine, and he has finally had a bowel movement. His beard is clear and he is alert and responding to stimuli. After two nights of staying up all night with an unresponsive beardy on my chest on a heating pad because I was sure he was going to die, now all he wants is cuddles. His tank is right next to my bed and he has a new behavior where he will sit and scratch at this side of his tank until I pick him up, then he makes his way to my chest and snuggles up falling asleep. Thank you all again, he is back to his normal self. He made his mama very scared!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is excellent news to hear! I am so glad that he recovered now. It sounds like he is on the
road to a full recovery too & really wants the attention.
Let us know of his progress & you can post pictures as well if you would like.

Tracie

RyuksMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":3vqyhtoc said:
Hello,

That is excellent news to hear! I am so glad that he recovered now. It sounds like he is on the
road to a full recovery too & really wants the attention.
Let us know of his progress & you can post pictures as well if you would like.

Tracie

101770-8090647468.jpg
He has been doing well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom