Sick baby!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TattooedZelda

Hi there.

We got a second bearded dragon from.... PetSmart. :/ On the 28 of June. I'll refer to the beardie as a he for easier writing sake. He was small. Maybe 4-5 inches from toe to tail. On the skinnier side but we figured we could love him. He was placed in a 40 gallon tank with basking log, substrate is carpet, with 150 watt basking lamp temperature at basking log is 110.F and cool area is 79-81F. He has a 10.0 UVB bulb and was eating mixed veg and mealworms or crickets.

Anyway. The other day he ate 6 mealworms. Great. The next day he did not eat. The following day he still would not eat. I called vet and they recommended a pack of leopard gecko diet just to help him gain weight and start eating again as well as regular ten minute soaks in warm water. Anyway. This little guy rarely moves now. He seems to sleep all the time and has become skinny. Vet within an hour and a half of our home said they aren't equipped to deal with reptiles and I've since found another vet who can't see him until Monday. I don't think he'll make it honestly. Anyway I try to feed and bathe him as recommended but he seems very disinterested. I'm at a loss here. Do I continue trying to keep him awake long enough to eat this stuff in the small amounts he will lick off of his nose or do I let him be. He's obviously too young to be brumating.

Any advice?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry to hear your new little one isn't doing well.
What type of thermometer are you using to measure his temperatures?
The mealworms are pretty hard on their tummy so they may have upset his system a
little bit. I would use some sugar free apple sauce along with some canned pumpkin,
mixed with a drop or two of olive or coconut oil to help move things along.
Since he is on carpet,I wouldn't think he is impacted by anything else other than possibly
the mealworms some. Were the crickets smaller than the space between his eyes?
The 10 bulb, is that a Reptisun tube? How far from him is it & is it mounted alongside of the
basking light too?
If you have any pictures of him along with his tank setup, feel free to post them.

Tracie

stareddy1

Hi, sorry that your baby is sick. I got a bearded dragon from Pets Mart my first one and they did not tell me any thing about the lighting I needed or educated me on what I needed.
I got my little guy home had him for about a month and he got real sick did not want to eat just not normal. Took him to my vet they xrayed him
and said he had MBD put him on calcium drops and we started feeding him by a dropper my little guy passed away a week later. I was heart broken and felt like I could of done more. Please make sure everything is set up correctly. The vet said he believes my little guy was sick when I bought him. I got a new one last week this pet store will NOT let you purchase one unless you bring your lighting in for them to test.
Take care

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes the lighting is crucial to their health ---- like Tracie said you need a TUBE Reptisun not a coil---- it is vital and the basking temps need to be 105-110 taken w/a Infrared thermometer- digital is good but the gun better-- I would also say like Tracie the meal worms may have upset his stomach and it is very hard on them -
Karrie

TattooedZelda

Original Poster
Unfortunately he did not make it. I went back to the store and they still exchanged him for the biggest healthiest looking guy they had. I have also changed all lights on all beardies to reptisun 10.0 tube lights and rechecked everyone's basking temperatures. Crickets are small. Would fit between their eyes. I will keep mealworms as a snack food to the crickets and feed only the smaller of them.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, I am so sorry that he didn't make it, how sad. :cry: I am glad he was not alone.
So they took care of him? I hope they disposed of him properly & all, I hate hearing that.
Pet stores are not the most dignified when it comes to things like that.
If you need help with your new baby, let us know.
I am very sorry for your loss.

Tracie

TattooedZelda

Original Poster
Thank you

I actually asked to take him home and bury him since they had their proof of his death. He's buried in my yard under a rose bush now. To answer earlier questions I use a temperature gun to read the on the basking area. I'm hoping things will work out better with this guy.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh ok, well, that is good he is with you & has a nice resting place at home with you.
I am so sorry he didn't make it. :cry:
How is your new one doing for you?

Tracie

TattooedZelda

Original Poster
This one is doing great, eating a mix of everything and eating three times a day. Very active. So far so good. Thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom