How should I check to see if my bearded dragon is healthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so my sister has a Guinea pig and on another forum it says she should do a weekly Heath Check. And I want to do anything and everything in my power to make sure my beardie lives a happy and healthy life. So should I do a weekly health check and if so how should I do it?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
For a beardie to have a healthy long life is all dependent on their husbandry-- the correct lighting and basking temps- please post a pic of your tank and lighting and we can help you w/ that
go to top of page in the banner click on user image uploader - download pics - click on reply at the top of message box click on XIMG pics should post
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What kind of substrate? And the UVB light is it a coil? If it is this is what you want for a UVB
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, etc.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- this is what most on this forum recommend--- the dial thermometers do not really give accurate temps- I would suggest you get a digital probe for the inside of tank and place it on your cool side - and get a infrared heat gun from Walmart Lowes or Home Depot for around $10 or so and take your basking temps w/ that - they are the most accurate--
giving a balance diet as well will keep him healthy- offer greens as a staple like mustard collard and turnip all 3 or alternating green beans are good squash like butternut yellow zucchini fruit apple mango strawberries etc there is a website for nutrition on the feeding board - and live bugs - I prefer and recommend dubia roaches - they are more filling and better for them and tend NOT to give parasites like crickets - plus they dont stink and chirp -- they need to be dusted w/ the calcium D3 powder and vitamins and how often depends on how old the dragon is --- babies 5 x per week w/ vitamins 2 x per week - adults should be offered bugs 2 x per week w/ the dusting alternating - also I would find a good reptile vet and have him in 2 times per year for a check up- once in the fall and maybe early summer- you dont want him going into brumation under weight- also hydration- you can wash his vegies before serving for water and make sure his bugs are good and fed they will get hydration from them as well - you can feed him horn worms as they are high in water content- you can keep a growth chart on him following his weight and height - a good kitchen scale will work that has grams- I just bought a old dial scale from a granmas kitchen that has the oblong bowl so I can put Hiccup in and it has the grams and ounces on it-- also what size tank? It looks like a 20 gallon- you are going to want to upgrade to a 75 or 120 gallon - that is what is recommended for a adult dragon - they need the floor space- you can go to a long 40 gallon but I would suggest getting a bigger tank w/ doors that open from the front - you and your dragon will be happier in the long run-
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom