Female dragon needs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
a few weeks back I got a bearded dragon I renamed Torrin. Her prior owners (I'm her third) believed her to be male and I took their word for it. But then I read the "Sexing Your Bearded Dragon" article and decided to check for myself. One bump in the middle of the tail directly behind the vent, less pronounced femoral pores, thinner head. Female.

I've read that females are a bit different than males in some of their needs. I've read that they may lay eggs and need a loose substrate to dig around in. Is that all? Can you provide me with a bit more information? What are the complications and things I need to watch for? Does she need to be spayed? Isn't spaying dangerous for a small animal?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes they can lay infertile eggs and will start doing a lot of glass surfing and digging in tank - if you see this behavior you can get a lay box for her and put a type of sand in it but I am not familiar w/ what kind others on here would know what to direct you to if this starts happening - they can also tell you other things to do as well -- you DO NOT want to get her spayed --- only unless it is absolutely necessary! Brandon ABHD and Cooper Dragon along w/ Tracie can answer questions about the laying eggs --
Karrie

lilyofsalen

Original Poster
When would she lay eggs? Will she lay eggs when she first hits sexual maturity? How do I tell when she has reached sexual maturity?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
They may lay eggs at 1 year of age or anytime after BUT, some never lay or may lay their first clutch as late as 8-9 years old. Try not to worry, most females have no problem. :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome. :) And I meant to say " some " but hit the D instead . I'll edit it so it doesn't say " dome ".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom