Unhappy Juvenile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Dezzy is 5yo 18" F, Percy is 8yo 19" M
My beardy is 7 months old as of yesterday and has been rather unhappy lately. Throws a fit in her tank, what she used to do to come out, but immediately wants back in her tank when taken out. When i go to place her back in, she tries to climb onto lid of the tank or up my arm. She has not been interested in crickets for at least a week or two, preferring her greens or simply not eating if I only give her crickets. She didnt poop for awhile but then she had a large dump two days in a row after a warm bath prior to the first day, that being said her belly still feels rather full even though she hasnt been eating. Her temps have been lower because I had to put the lid back on her tank after she made her first escape attempt ever, but idk what to do in those regards because temps are the same whether I use a 50W or 100W basking bulb for her 20G tank (its large enough for her, 30x12x12 and shes 11 inches).

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
A 20 gallon tank is not large enough for a 6 month old dragon, she is feeling boxed in. Sounds like she's telling you she's ready for a bigger house.
What kind of top are you using? A screen top shouldn't lower temps in a 20 gallon tank.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
The tank is nearly 3ft, she has plenty of room to move. The screen top drops temps about 5-7F.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What kind of UVB? And yes you are going to have to upgrade that tank to a bigger one--it is recommended a 75-120 gallon for a adult dragon to get to their potential
Karrie

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Deabrua":1z6x4qo6 said:
The tank is nearly 3ft, she has plenty of room to move. The screen top drops temps about 5-7F.
I have a 20g long setting next to me and, they are great for babies (1 to 4 months) but, my 4 1/2 month old "Charlie" wouldn't fit in it on a bet. He is 16" long and, loves to run and, play. I couldn't imagine putting him in a 30"x11" box, that is not enough floor space even for an 11" dragon. A 40g breeder is 36x18x18, dragons love to climb and run around exploring. Without this kind of enrichment, they get restless or, bored. Can you post a pic of her and, her viv?

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=248364&p=1883447#p1883447
When you posted about tank sizes in october last year, your dragon was 10 to 11 inches then, she has to be bigger now or the smaller tank has slowed her growth.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Deabrua":2ecv2rx6 said:
but idk what to do in those regards because temps are the same whether I use a 50W or 100W basking bulb for her 20G tank (its large enough for her, 30x12x12 and shes 11 inches).
What are you measuring your temps with?

Putting any type of top on a tank would keep the heat in, not cool it down. Unless putting the screen on causes you to now be placing your basking bulb up higher, or on the screen which I imagine is the case since your tank is only 12 inches tall.

I'm going to 3rd the notion that you should look into a bigger tank. A lot of times petco has a $1 per gallon coupon you can get. Then your looking at less than 50 bucks for a nice sized 40g breeder.
Realize that at 30x12 your tank has 360 sq inches of floor space. For 50 bucks a 40g breeder almost doubles that floor space to 648 sq inches. Thats a much worthwhile upgrade IMO.

-Brandon

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
She has a 22" T5 HO 10.0 UVB and currently the 50W basking bulb since the 100W burnt out in merely 2 months. I think the dome might be the problem. Each light is sitting about 10 inches from her fav basking spot on a log a couple inches above the floor of the tank.

She was only 5.5 inches in october when she was 2 months old. She is currently 7 months old and just over 11 inches.

Temps measured with acurite therm.

The 40G breeders are FAAAAR more expensive than $50 where I am. $120 minimum. The last time there was a $1/gal deal in my area, it didnt apply to any tank above 29G

My tank is 30x12x12 vs 40G at 36x18x18.

She is definitely getting a new tank, but I was holding off for another month or two so she could have a 48x24x24 instead of simply going to 36x18x18.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Petco or Petsmart are the ones that sell for $1 per gallon not sure which one- but you definitely want a bigger tank ---- -- that is a 120 gallon? that would be great----
Karrie

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
KarrieRee":d1h4pvi5 said:
Petco or Petsmart are the ones that sell for $1 per gallon not sure which one- but you definitely want a bigger tank ---- -- that is a 120 gallon? that would be great----
Karrie
Neither offer 40G breeder for less than $120 near me. I cant remember which one had the $1/gal sale but they wouldnt apply said sale above their 29G tanks.

Yes, I will be building the 4x2x2. That sale is in store only and not available at any of the ones near me.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Aaradimian":2s9rse2b said:
At 7 months, it could also be something akin to teen tantrums, which they get over eventually.

Teen tantrums. Yup. I get it now.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Deabrua":100g0tkz said:
20 US Gal = 75 litres.

Your dragon at 6 months old needs a tank at least 3x longer than it is and 2x wider than it is long to allow it room to move around and to thermoregulate.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Deabrua":33wbdara said:
She has a 22" T5 HO 10.0 UVB and currently the 50W basking bulb since the 100W burnt out in merely 2 months. I think the dome might be the problem. Each light is sitting about 10 inches from her fav basking spot on a log a couple inches above the floor of the tank.

She was only 5.5 inches in october when she was 2 months old. She is currently 7 months old and just over 11 inches.

Temps measured with acurite therm.

The 40G breeders are FAAAAR more expensive than $50 where I am. $120 minimum. The last time there was a $1/gal deal in my area, it didnt apply to any tank above 29G

My tank is 30x12x12 vs 40G at 36x18x18.

She is definitely getting a new tank, but I was holding off for another month or two so she could have a 48x24x24 instead of simply going to 36x18x18.

Your dragon will likely live for about 10 years unless there is a health issue. Do it a favour and buy a good sized tank for it's forever home now , I recommend a TIMBER tank 4ft x 2ft square with front sliding glass doors , I'd avoid those stupid glass tanks with mesh tops flogged by pet shops as they are hopelessly inefficient thermally and simply junk.

If a good timber tank sets you back a few hundred dollars - so what , consider it an investment .. If you aren't willing to spend the money to give your pet a good home , maybe you should not have a dragon.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes I recommend a bigger tank I am hoping you can get her in to the 4x2x2 tank that is a 120 gallon- Zen Habitats sells nice tanks too but they are now around $329 last I looked - I have one and got mine for $269 w/ shipping that was last Dec -- and there is no substrate shield on mine as I use tile for substrate - just another idea for you --- you want to get a tank w/ doors that open from the front - they are easier to clean etc
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom