Eyes stuck shut look bruised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chubchubsmommy

I took in my friends bearded dragon she had for 3 years because she couldn’t care for him. He is severally stunted and his eyes are stuck shut and look bruised on his bottom eyelids. His eyes still move around like he can see when he’s in the sun.
Her cage set up was really bad! He was in a small cage and she said she used normal Walmart reptile day lights and I believe a red light. So I’m pretty sure he has Metabolic bone disease.
I have him now in a tank big enough for two bearded dragons adult size. With a mercury uv bulb 100 watt. I haven’t gotten him to eat yet but he’s more active now than he was when she gave him to me yesterday.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Keep her quaranteened from the existing dragons for at least 2 months , if she's got any parasites and infections , you don't the others infected.
I'd have her in separate room for now so she's not stressed unduely by the others.

Photos , including good closeups of both eyes so we can see the issue.

I strongly suggest have a reptile vet so a thorough health assessment of her , including bloods , xrays, and fecals to get a base line of her current health and condition. This will mean that you and us are NOT flying blind.

Photos of the tank and the current lights will be helpful .

And a review of her diet and feeding and supplementation schedule.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
You might want to try some Repashy Grub pie for him to eat. It sets up like jello and you can cut it to look like worms. Easy on his system and made with bug protein.
Thank you for rescuing him. ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Definitely when you get a chance, please post pictures of the dragon along with your current
tank setup. Include the brand of MVB you are using along with the wattage, too. What kind of
supplementation do you plan on giving to him? What are the basking temperatures in the tank?
Since you just got him, as suggested, go slowly with the insects/protein intake for a few days to
be sure his kidneys are functioning properly.
Once he goes to the bathroom a few times, monitor his urate (white portion) output to check that
his kidneys are doing well.
You can get some sterile saline solution to help wash his eyes out with, daily right now. You may
want to consider taking him to the vet if you aren't able to get his eyes to clear up.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom