Shedding info for Newbies

Nykeri

I'm wondering how much shedding affects beardie's behavior... Rocco is going through a major shed right now - torso, legs, under head - and the poor little guy is miserable. He has no interest in his Dubia roaches, and I've been supplementing him with carnivore critical care...

102153-6055367105.jpg

I just gotta bearded dragon and I was wondering if it normal for them to be shedding every week? I got her a month ago and she has already shed 4 times!! And how can I make the shedding process easier on the poor little girl?

possumpeg

Really appreciate the photos and info. Chip shed his tail about a week ago, and his head started looking milky, he was digging at it pretty good this morning especially around his ears and scaly neck, so I gave him his first bath. He really liked that!

Lizardking509

I have a question. My beardie just finished shedding a couple of days ago. From the looks of it he is shedding again. Is that normal or should i be worried? He is 7-8 months old. I have had him 6 weeks now.

Lizardking509":7p2nxqke said:
I have a question. My beardie just finished shedding a couple of days ago. From the looks of it he is shedding again. Is that normal or should i be worried? He is 7-8 months old. I have had him 6 weeks now.
Honestly mine does the same thing, as long as shed isn’t building up on her/him and he/she doesn’t look too tired he/she should be perfectly fine. If your really worried just stick her/him into a warm bath for about ten minutes everyday untilbthe shed comes off.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
I'm starting to get concerned my dragon is not shedding enough.

Got her Feb 9th, within 2 weeks at 6 months age she shed her toes. That was it.

Now she is 8 months old ( I'm counting the 1st of each month as new age as best guess). The past 2 weeks she shed her toes, forelegs, sides of mouth, side of face, and snout. I have never seen her she'd the top of her head, back, belly, nor tail. She has gone from 13 inches to 13.25 inches length. Weight is up from about 194 grams to 216 grams today. I know growth tends to slow down after 6 months age. But I never got to see her shedding when she was younger so I'm not sure if she is shedding enough. Anyone have an opinion to help me out with this?

So glad to see this thread, I have been curious about some of the shedding details since my beardie is in his first shed since bringing him home.

My question is, about how long does it usually take once they begin looking ashy for them to actually shed? He shed his tail earlier this week, Monday night-ish, but he has looked like this since then. This picture is from Wednesday, after he was watered down, so he does not look as dry as he has. It is his entire torso, arms, legs, head, everything but the tail looks like it wants to shed, but hasn't yet. I am wondering when it should cause concern if they haven't shed yet. I will try to get a fresh picture today.

full

rking02

traildrifterphalanx":3qcuak51 said:
Hey all,
While being a member of this forum for a few months I've seen quite a few posts concerned for their dragons that turned out to be shed. While holding Richter tonight, I noticed he is shedding basically all his extremities to various degrees and thought maybe some visuals would help those starting out. Below are some photos of sheds in progress with flash and no flash.

I am unsure how helpful this would be to anyone, feel free to add your own shed photos as a resource.

Enjoy the dragons, all!

Thanks for the reference! I was unaware that they shed in "stages". Now that I look at my baby I notice parts of him that are different colors than the rest. I heard shedding is basically like getting a sunburn, new skin and all the irritation!
104529-2490862860.jpg

Tfulton30

Good info. Mine is doing the same. The top of her torso is grey as well as her head and her back legs. Lol. She shed all around the rest of her body. The other day it looked like she was wearing leg warmers.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, beardies can dress themselves in all sorts of interesting little costumes when they're shedding. In addition to leg warmers, I've seen booties, mittens, T-shirts, and once even a little Roman toga that turned into a loincloth a couple of days later -- I'm sorry I didn't take a picture of that one. I could have posted it on here under the title, "Shedding as an Art Form." :mrgreen:

I have a 7 month old beardie that consistently shed pretty much every 3 to 4 weeks. He shed off one arm and hasn't started to shed his head or back. I thought maybe I wasn't feeding him enough dubia roaches or superworms so I have been giving him more insects. He gets his vegetables every day and I have calcuim that I give him 6x a week and a vitamin 1x a week. He is eating well and is very active his shedding just seems to have stopped. Is there something that I am doing wrong? Thanks

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Nope, as they grow bigger, they will start to grow slower. And this means shedding starts taking longer and that more time goes in between sheds. They can shed certain parts of their body only, not every shed will be full body.

-Brandon

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom