beardie going crazy??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krw7454

I recently put my 8yo male in a new tank and he keeps running around it like crazy. He has a few hours where hes happy and basking but suddenly he freaks out and starts sprinting around the tank, so I take him out and he practically jumps out and seems really stressed like hes seen a ghost or something

does anyone know whats causing this almost bipolar behaviour??

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your sure hes male? Could be hormones as it is mating season-- what about the lighting in the tank -- ? Has it changed? Is he freaking when hes out of the tank? What about black bearding?
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Could also just be the charge of environment. How long has he been in the new tank?
Are there other dragons in the house?

-Brandon

Krw7454

Original Poster
hi Karrie and Brandon,

yep he's a boy, I had him sexed by a vet at about 2 or 3 years old.
Ive still got a white and red bulb - same as the other tank
he isnt blacking up at all and showing no signs of aggression
when i did take him out he flipped out and jumped right off me (about 2ft) after he calmed down I checked him over and he seems uninjured
hes been in this new tank for 3 days, he was completely fine on the first day.
basking areas showing about 30C ive got a heat tile there too so the temp would be fine
ive got no other dragons but i have covered the tank with a towel just incase there are any outside triggers
this morning i gave him some new leafy greens and freaked out pretty much as soon as he saw me :-(
he ate fine last night and the night before and had a normal poop yesterday - im running on australian time to avoid confusion haha

thanks for your help guys!
-Kate

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Red bulb? That is the issues-- colored bulbs hurt their eyes and can cause long term damage-- the only bulbs that should be used in their tanks should be a bright white basking bulb and a good UVB NO COILS! if you need extra heat a CHE w/ no light-- extra lighting for tank you can use a regular house hold bulb white day lamp -- there should be no lights on at nite--- they need darkness like us- slows their metabolism so they sleep better
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No heat rocks please--- beardies heat from the top not their tummies--- a CHE is a ceramic heat emitter - they go into a dome like the basking lights and are solid white coil looking bulb but have no light--- its just heat - you can get them in 75 watt and 100 watt I believe - if you need one to keep the temps about 65 at night invest in that --- please post pics of your tank and lighting so we can see other issues that could be causing this kind of behavior
Karrie

Krw7454

Original Poster
hi guys just a little update
burnies back to his old self! he must've just been stressed from moving house haha
i also replaced the red with a white bulb

thanks for all your help Karrie!

Kate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom