Too many beardies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vexasaur

Hi guys! Not an owner myself but I know someone that has 4 adult bearded dragons. All male, she is also co habiting at least 2 of them together in a 40 gallon. She just got another (totalling 5) and it's a baby. Aside from this, she just got a baby ball python, owns a cat, a corn snake, a tarantula, and 4 leopard geckos.

My question: is there something I could/ should do about the situation? (is call animal control) is this abuse? Should I just let her figure it out? I'm not really sure how to move forward with this. Thanks for your help!

P.s. we are both college students

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I see no issue with it if she has the time to take care of them all properly.
Yeah a dragon being housed with another dragon is risky, but there is no way animal control would ever take your pets away because you have two dragons housed in 1 tank. They'd probably think that's normal.

What is your concern here? Are the animals not being taken care of?

-Brandon

Vexasaur

Original Poster
claudiusx said:
I see no issue with it if she has the time to take care of them all properly.
Yeah a dragon being housed with another dragon is risky, but there is no way animal control would ever take your pets away because you have two dragons housed in 1 tank. They'd probably think that's normal.

What is your concern here? Are the animals not being taken care of?

-Brandon[/quote

In my opinion no. To my knowledge, they are kept in the tank always and she seems to be more concerned with the novelty of having them as babies or as new than the care of her older ones. I have no specific examples of any mistreatment other than the small housing situations that I believe are causing stress

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well I'll be honest, I feel like you don't really have the whole picture, and taking someone's pets from them is a horrible thing to do if they honestly care and love their pets. While your intentions are good, I wouldn't be considering having someone's pets removed based off very limited information.

Actually I'd go so far as to say that is wrong.
Clearly you have some type of contact with this person. Your relationship with this person is unknown to us but I can probably guarentee you wouldn't have any type of positive relationship with this person after calling a service to forcibly remove their pets.

If you are concerned, why can't you talk to the person? Wanting them taken is not a first step and acting on it as a first step is morally wrong imo and begs the question if there is an ulterior motive at play on your part.

Like i said, I dont know the whole story here but that's just my perception, outside looking in. I'd talk to the person and see if your concerns are well founded or not.

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
At the very least we need to see photos of the animals and how they are housed.

And know a lot more about the husbandry she provides to the animals.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I haft to weigh in on this subject--- first it sounds like your friend has done NO research on caring for bearded dragons--- if she had she would know you dont keep 2 bearded dragons housed together in a 40 gallon tank --- for one it is too small of an enclosure for just one--- second bearded dragons are territorial and will end up fighting and either killing one or severely maiming it ---- you might want to ask her if she has read any information regarding the care of these animals --- so w/ that being said my guess is she doesnt have the proper husbandry going as well --- all I can say is I feel for the dragons because it is inevitable shes going to have some hurt dragons on her hands in the near future ---
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
KarrieRee":3b6tk4bs said:
I haft to weigh in on this subject--- first it sounds like your friend has done NO research on caring for bearded dragons
Karrie
Completely disagree. You cant say someone has done no research on something because they are doing 1 thing you dont agree with. 10 years ago every book you could read on bearded dragon care would mention the possibility of housing dragons together. It's not a practice I really believe in for the average hobbyist but you can not say that someone hasn't done any research based just off of that. There are countless people who house dragons together. I've never met a breeder who hasn't housed dragons together. But clearly you wouldn't say they've not done their research.

Like I said, I dont agree with the practice fully, but using that as a basis to take someone's animals away is evil in my opinion. Housing together is NOT a reason to assume someone doesnt know what they are doing and its NOT a reason to have someone's pets forcibly removed from their care.

OP, like I said earlier, you should talk to this person first. See if your concerns are well founded or not.
Curiously, do you own dragons or know about their care? Or did you just see something you thought was potentially wrong?

-Brandon

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
I'd say that you should talk to them first being trying to take her animals away from her. The fact that she has so many animals, to me, sounds like she just loves taking care of them. Yes, two males being housed together may not be the best idea, but if it works for the dragons, then it works. If you are concerned for the beardies' well being, or any of her other animals for that matter, then talking to her would be the best option.

IMO, don't let your personal feelings or thoughts about this person, make you think she has bad judgment and/or is a terrible owner of her animals.

Vexasaur

Original Poster
You guys are right that I don't know the situation well but what I do know is that she doesn't get them out of the tank so they are limited to that small space day in and day out. I believe that she isn't caring for the animals very well but they are being fed and taken care of to the minimum. However when she gets a new animal, that's when she takes care of them. After they're adults or the novelty of having a new pet wears off, she does the minimum for them to my understanding.

I have tried to talk to her about it but she sees no issues with what she's doing or that the number is concerning. I will see if I can get pictures of the husbandry

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Everyone! Just a friendly reminder to keep your cool on this subject matter. I know how good intentions can go wrong so try not to judge & get too worked up.. Let's just try to help with the situation as best we can. Thanks,

Tracie

Hiimwes

You have absolutely no grounds to do anything here. I house two beardies together in one cage, (Got them both as babies, and raised them together.) One boy, one girl, no problems at all. The only time they kind of fought was when I was petting one of them, and the other one ran up all angry because it wanted to be pet as well.

I'm going to be honest here, you sound like someone with malicious intent, so I'd say keep your mouth shut, and don't you dare harass this poor woman. Seriously what is with some of you guys, and trying to act like vigilantes? You probably know nothing about bearded dragons anyway. Searching something on google doesn't necessarily give you the most valid information.

Let me ask you this, do you actually know she is improperly caring for these animals? Because you don't sound like you are concerned for the beardies, you sound like you want to get her in trouble because you don't agree with what she's doing, or have a grudge against her. You sound stupid.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
This thread is a few months old at this point, I am sure the issue has long passed so this thread will be locked as further discussion serves no purpose.
Despite how pasionality you feel about a matter, it's never ok to attack another member or make rude comments. That helps neither side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom