Beardy Diet

Discuss topics of food for your beardies here.

Beardy Diet

Postby Deabrua » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:49 am

I know a lot of posts talk about switching dragons to mostly veggie diets when they get older but i assume thats not until at least a year or two. Lately Ive noticed that even when my beardy going on 6 months has crix available, she might eat a few then go to eating greens. Should I offer her more greens and less crix already? Or try to get her to eat more insects some how? She used to go through close to 100 1/4" crix per day and was eventually switched to 1/2" and ate around 30-40 per day.
Deabrua
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Beardy Diet

Postby KarrieRee » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:02 am

You might try switching her over to dubia roaches- but its great that shes eating vegies now- her diet still should be mostly protein if shes 6 months old - the dubias she will eat maybe 5-6 at a time as they are more filling and actually alot better for her
Karrie
KarrieRee
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby Deabrua » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:20 pm

Land lord will definitely not let me bring roaches into the house. They hardly accept crickets being in the house as it is. Another thing thats concerning me is she's been keeping her head under her basking log while the rest sticks out. I think its a dislike of lights. Shes always trying to hide from lights whether in or out of her tank, she'll burrow into somewhere dark or simply face away from the light.
Deabrua
Hatchling Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:36 pm

This hiding under stuff all the time does not sound good-- can you please post pics of her tank and lighting? Go to top of page click on User Image uploader - down load pics -- click reply at top of message box click on XIMG -- pics will post
thanks Karrie
KarrieRee
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby Deabrua » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:35 pm

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

She still spends the better portion of her time basking while shes in her tank. Ive never seen her like that before until today. But outside her tank, shes generally burrowing into something. Im assuming its a dislike for lights or shes trying to keep warm. PS: the temps where she is laying is 100C and increasingly warmer on top of the log. Idk why the drop off in temp is so steep towards the thermometer. Also the top of the tank is generally not kept on.
Deabrua
Hatchling Poster

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:39 pm

The issue is the inadequate UV setup.

Too far away.
Trying to shine UVA & UVB though a fine mesh which is blocking over 45% OF THE UV.
Inadequate UV source.
UV source too old (?) , is it over 6 month old ?

At the very least the UV source needs to be relocated so it's mounted UNDER the lid and positioned to give about 200 microW UVB / sqcm at the basking spot.

See this for guidance : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611

Diet : two feeds of live insect per day , offer salad later in the day AFTER the insects have been eaten, wont fill up on veg and have no room left for the insects this way.
Last edited by kingofnobbys on Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CBDs: Puff (M)(RIP 10Dec2015),Rex (F)(RIP 16Mar2017),Toothless (M)(RIP 26Nov2017).Peppa (F) (born 15Nov2015).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Lucky (M)(wild juvenile), cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.Wriggles (F)(rescued injured),thought she was a big lizard, over 8 yrs old, died in her sleep, RIP 2Feb2016). Fluffy (F) 4y old when rescued 14Nov2017 my little livewire , ubertame, thriving and very happy .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Addict

Postby Deabrua » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:42 pm

The mesh top is only there at night now. Last sentence of my last message stated it wasnt really kept on anymore. That pic is old, only one i had offhand though. The UVB is probably 2-3 months old.

She is fed crickets some time between noon to 1pm for first feeding and 5pm to 6pm for second feeding. The greens have been left in there 24/7 and replaced each morning.

Its a T5HO with reflector and roughly 12 inches from her most common basking spot and the mesh top is off.
Last edited by Deabrua on Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deabrua
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:50 pm

Deabrua wrote:The mesh top is only there at night now. Last sentence of my last message stated it wasnt really kept on anymore. That pic is old, only one i had offhand though. The UVB is probably 2-3 months old.

She is fed crickets some time between noon to 1pm for first feeding and 5pm to 6pm for second feeding. The greens have been left in there 24/7 and replaced each morning.

The mesh top/lid is TOTALLY useless : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=236332&p=1816614#p1816614
CBDs: Puff (M)(RIP 10Dec2015),Rex (F)(RIP 16Mar2017),Toothless (M)(RIP 26Nov2017).Peppa (F) (born 15Nov2015).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Lucky (M)(wild juvenile), cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.Wriggles (F)(rescued injured),thought she was a big lizard, over 8 yrs old, died in her sleep, RIP 2Feb2016). Fluffy (F) 4y old when rescued 14Nov2017 my little livewire , ubertame, thriving and very happy .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Addict

Postby Deabrua » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:52 pm

Its not there to keep heat in, its there to keep her in. I wouldnt be able to take a new pic of her tank for at least 8hrs from now otherwise I would use an updated pic. While the top was still kept on 24/7, her lights sat on the top. The lights were raised and that pic was taken when it was finished, soon after the top was never kept on during the day.
Deabrua
Hatchling Poster

Postby Deabrua » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:02 pm

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]
Deabrua
Hatchling Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:33 am

Has her behavior changed since you moved the UVB?
Karrie
KarrieRee
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby Deabrua » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:26 am

The only thing that changed after moving her UVB/heat was where she basks. She used to climb higher on the long but now tends to stay near the bottom (where it's warmer).

That was a long while back. In the past week is when she's not been eating many crickets (primarily devouring her greens) and shes laying like in the above pic partially under her log.

Update: aside from being under her hide hut for the first time last night, she's acting her usual self today. Found out a lot of the crickets that have been given to her found a place to hide in the tank, so she hasnt been getting to them. Dozens of crickets that i didnt know were still in there.
Deabrua
Hatchling Poster

Postby Deabrua » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:39 am

I took away her 24/7 greens and only leave them in there after her second feeding. Shes back to eating more crickets.
Deabrua
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Feeding