Is it bad to build a habitat from whitewood and poplar?

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Is it bad to build a habitat from whitewood and poplar?

Postby Frawsti » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:02 am

My little buddy needs a new tank, and I was thinking of disassembling his aquarium to build a larger tank from whitewood and poplar around it. Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this before I commit? The front would still be glass but the base and walls would be untreated poplar/whitewood.

Thanks and any opinions would be nice!
Frawsti
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Is it bad to build a habitat from whitewood and poplar?

Postby Frawsti » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:21 am

And as a side note- I have everything planned out already. I'm wondering though how I should route wires, I can't seem to find a sort of seal/gasket/grommet that I can run them through if I drill holes in the side of the tank.
Frawsti
Newbie Poster

Postby Gormagon » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:43 am

No cedar or pine is the rule. Not sure what you are calling "whitewood", if it is any type of pine....NO!!!
The wonderful world of bearded dragons is a magical land of mystery, enchantment, cuddles, love and, worry! A mysterious realm where things always seem to change in an instant and, the moment you think you have it all figured out, the rules change! You think you own your dragon, guess again. You are now a slave!!!
RIP Peaches 10-1-18 Forever in my Heart
Gormagon
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby Frawsti » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:05 am

Gormagon wrote:No cedar or pine is the rule. Not sure what you are calling "whitewood", if it is any type of pine....NO!!!

It's this:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/-Common-1-in-X ... 1000052627

No mention of pine so hopefully im fine lol
Frawsti
Newbie Poster

Postby Gormagon » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:23 am

Frawsti wrote:
Gormagon wrote:No cedar or pine is the rule. Not sure what you are calling "whitewood", if it is any type of pine....NO!!!

It's this:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/-Common-1-in-X ... 1000052627

No mention of pine so hopefully im fine lol

It's white pine, do not use it unless it is sealed and/or painted with a nontoxic paint or sealer. If you do, let it air out for at least a couple of weeks or until the smell is gone.
The wonderful world of bearded dragons is a magical land of mystery, enchantment, cuddles, love and, worry! A mysterious realm where things always seem to change in an instant and, the moment you think you have it all figured out, the rules change! You think you own your dragon, guess again. You are now a slave!!!
Gormagon
Gray-bearded Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby Frawsti » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:39 am

Gormagon wrote:It's white pine, do not use it unless it is sealed and/or painted with a nontoxic paint or sealer. If you do, let it air out for at least a couple of weeks or until the smell is gone.

Okay, sounds good. I'll just use the poplar then in replacement, I didn't take that route initially just because of how expensive it was lol
Frawsti
Newbie Poster

Postby Frawsti » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:40 am

While I have the topic open, will 66"(L) x 13"(W) x 15"(H) be enough space for a full grown beardie? I'm sure that the length is plenty but wasn't sure about the width or heigh
Frawsti
Newbie Poster

Postby Gormagon » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:34 am

Frawsti wrote:While I have the topic open, will 66"(L) x 13"(W) x 15"(H) be enough space for a full grown beardie? I'm sure that the length is plenty but wasn't sure about the width or heigh

Length is good but the width and height need to be a bit bigger. Optimum width and height is 24", though you may get by with 18" in height as a minimum.
Gormagon
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby Frawsti » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:55 pm

Gormagon wrote:
Frawsti wrote:While I have the topic open, will 66"(L) x 13"(W) x 15"(H) be enough space for a full grown beardie? I'm sure that the length is plenty but wasn't sure about the width or heigh

Length is good but the width and height need to be a bit bigger. Optimum width and height is 24", though you may get by with 18" in height as a minimum.

I simply couldn't fit that in the area of my apartment if it we're 24" lol
Frawsti
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Enclosures