Something is stuck in my bearded dragons vent plz help

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

Something is stuck in my bearded dragons vent plz help

Postby Percival » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:31 pm

Yesterday night I noticed my breaded dragon was trying to poop but she was struggling thought nothing of it but when u went back to her a couple of hours later she was still straining. I put her in a bath of warmish water for about 20 min her vent seems to be pertruding? I can see something there but it's not passing bathed her twice today she is moving fine but does seem agitated what should I do plz
Percival
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Something is stuck in my bearded dragons vent plz help

Postby Drache613 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:34 pm

Hello,

I hope that it isn't a prolapse! Are you sure that she is female & not male, with a possible
sperm plug, etc? Can you post some pictures of her just so we can see?
Please review your tank setup with us, such as your type/brand of UVB, supplementations
given, temperatures, etc just so we can be sure everything is all correct?

Tracie
Drache613

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:39 pm

photo will help .

in the meantime read this and if it looks even remotely like a prolapse treat it like one and seek immediate vet assistance.
http://www.anapsid.org/prolapse.html
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Fluffy - 4yr rescued lawnmowing accident victim 14Nov17.
Lucky - cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
Wriggles - rescued injured ,thought she was a big lizard, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16. .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Addict

Postby Drache613 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:47 pm

Hello,

How is your dragon this evening?
I was also wondering about egg issues too, has she ever laid any infertile eggs?
Please let us know how she is doing.

Tracie
Drache613

Postby Percival » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:55 am

[img]
hi we got a salad leaf out yesterday she looked quite ill afterwards she went very flat and started puffing put her back in her viv she layed very still got her into the vets and he said he didn't no much about dragons but it didn't look like a prolapse to him? he gave us some lucatose as he said she was still blocked i'm more worried about the discolouration on her back end been feeding her unsweetened pure prunes puree and bathing her is there anything else i could be doing plz
Percival
Newbie Poster

Postby Percival » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:55 am

[Click image to enlarge]
Percival
Newbie Poster

Postby AHBD » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:54 am

Are you sure it's a female ? I'm wondering if that's a hemipene . So for now , put some honey on it + gently try to push it back in. Don't feed him/her anything [ probably won't eat anyway ] If you can get it in, bathe her in warm water later but apply the honey again afterwards. The honey can draw out the inflammation + help it to reduce so it may go back in. Keep her hydrated and make sure the tank is warm. Can you post pics of the tank + lights ? Do you know what the temps. are ?
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby AHBD » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:08 am

If you don't have honey, soak her in lukewarm sugar water, mix a lot of sugar until it's dissolved, then soak her in it . After that, apply a bit of vaseline.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby Percival » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:23 pm

Thank u for the replys put her in sugar water and tried to manipulate everything back in its not wking but will keep trying how long would yous suggest before taking her back to the vets?
Percival
Newbie Poster

Postby Drache613 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:30 pm

Hello,

The vet feels that she is impacted? What could have impacted or blocked her up, what types
of foods, etc does she eat?
I wouldn't give it too long before trying to get her back to the vets. The lactulose is used for
impactions, etc so depending on what is going on it may or may not work.
The raw unpasteurized honey is very helpful, so go ahead & try that first. Is her beard black at
all?

Tracie
Drache613

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:10 pm

Percival wrote:Thank u for the replys put her in sugar water and tried to manipulate everything back in its not wking but will keep trying how long would yous suggest before taking her back to the vets?

IMMEDIATELY . If the tissues die you will likely loose her.

This needs to be URGENTLY dealt with by a reptile vet surgeon , it should have been correctly yesterday at the latest . I'm flabbergasted that no one else has here has advised this.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
Wriggles - rescued injured ,thought she was a big lizard, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16. .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Addict

Postby AHBD » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:40 pm

They've been to a vet, didn't seem to be much help other than giving Lactulose to try + get the dragon to pass a possible impaction. Tracie already advised going to the vet again but a vet that has more knowledge is needed. Sugar soaks often reduce the swelling but so far has not done so. No need to agitate this owner.

O.P. can you find a reptile vet ? Ask the current vet for a reference.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby Percival » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:39 am

Just a quick update on percival she's doing great a friend of ours came and was able to put everything right lol she was so much happier obviously she toileted and is moving great thank u for replys and advice just as a side note we did get her to a vet wen we realised it wasn't going to right itself and took her to a exotic pet shop owner for advice too but thank u all
Percival
Newbie Poster

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:40 am

Percival wrote:Just a quick update on percival she's doing great a friend of ours came and was able to put everything right lol she was so much happier obviously she toileted and is moving great thank u for replys and advice just as a side note we did get her to a vet wen we realised it wasn't going to right itself and took her to a exotic pet shop owner for advice too but thank u all

I strongly suggest if the vet didn't already advise this , nor the experienced helper , NO SOLIDS for a week or two to allow all the solids currently still in her intestines to pass through or be metabolized and to avoid any risk of this happening again while things down below are settling and healing. So sloppy foods for now would be a very good idea.

She might not be so lucky or as easily "fixed" non-surgically next time.
Last edited by kingofnobbys on Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Addict

Postby AHBD » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:58 am

That's good to hear ! I know you [ and she ] are relived. :) And I agree, no solid food for a while and plenty of water. This will keep her from pushing too hard to eliminate. Make sure her basking temp. is 100-105 so she can digest properly.

Hope she stays in good health, post more pics of her some time. :)
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Next

Return to Beardie ER