8-12 crickets/day - baby/juvie *NEWBIE OWNER*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdie

Hi all,

We adopted a baby/juvenile Beardie, Franklin, on Friday last week. I’ve posted in other places that I’m concerned about his eating. He’s not interested in food generally. I offer him fresh salad every day (collard greens, which I must and add a bit of fruit, and which he never eats except for an actual nibble this morning), and crickets 3 times a day. I’ve only ever seen him eat crickets in the afternoon. And he only eats about 8-12 at a time. Sometimes even seems freaked out by them.

Some other facts:
- I got him at Petsmart. My feeling is he was getting crickets only once a day and then had those dried pellets (which I still offer just to make him comfie).
- he’s about 8” Long from nose to tail tip. I notice what look like black stress marks.
- he’s pooping regularly.
- he’s shedding pretty seriously on his feet
- our enclosure is 36x18x18. I have a basking lamp (temps between 105 and 112) in the basking spots and down to 75ish on the cool side. I currently have the crap UVB coil bulb, but have on the way the Arcadia 12% set up.

Any other suggestions? Is this normal for a slow down in food intake? Is it due to shedding or new environment?

I would really really love any advice or reassurance! There has been a steep learning curve for me and I really want this little guy to be happy.

102336-1089847335.jpg
102336-3621590315.jpg

RarestDragon

Hatchling Member
Sounds pretty typical of a newly re-homed beardie. He's likely feeling a little stressed from the move. They tend to lose their appetite a little during the first two weeks. If he's eating and pooping normal poops then he's fine.

Just give him about two weeks to settle in. Within that time, don't handle him any more than necessary. Let him get used to the idea that his enclosure is his space. Babies his size tend to be skittish, so it's no surprise that the crickets spook him sometimes. Eventually he'll become more confident and his appetite will grow. After that, you can start interacting with him more. Try and find out what treats he might like and hand feed them to him every now and then. He'll then associate you with good things and recognize you as his caretaker.

Birdie

Original Poster
Thanks, RarestDragon!!

RarestDragon":3nc9sqzg said:
Sounds pretty typical of a newly re-homed beardie. He's likely feeling a little stressed from the move. They tend to lose their appetite a little during the first two weeks. If he's eating and pooping normal poops then he's fine.

Just give him about two weeks to settle in. Within that time, don't handle him any more than necessary. Let him get used to the idea that his enclosure is his space. Babies his size tend to be skittish, so it's no surprise that the crickets spook him sometimes. Eventually he'll become more confident and his appetite will grow. After that, you can start interacting with him more. Try and find out what treats he might like and hand feed them to him every now and then. He'll then associate you with good things and recognize you as his caretaker.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I suggest that you hold off on the salad stuff until his last feed of the day.

So essentially offer live insects about 1 hour or so after his lights have turned on (timer is very useful), then 2nd feed of live insects about lunchtime and 3rd feed of live insects late afternoon, then give him the salad to nibble on if he gets peckish (leave it in the tank for him until you are ready to go to bed - my observation is hatchlings often get up over night and soon learn where to find the rogue insects (that are raiding the salad)).

I posted this for someone else a little while ago - think you'll find it helpful in selecting the best feeders for you new little family member : viewtopic.php?f=45&t=244111&p=1859195#p1859195

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom