Beardie Eyes Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsmackle

Hey we are looking for some help.

Symptoms:
We noticed our beardie Han been closing his eye most of yesterday and today although he has still had a very healthy appetite. He is about 3.5" snout to rump with tail about 9" he is young. We have only had him about 2 mo's.

Actions Takes:
Removed MVB yesterday about 16hrs ago and now using just a 100w (UVA) basking light and heat emitter. No improvement yet.

Ask
How concerned should we be? Should be taking him to the vet? is it the MVB? Aghhhh!

Background:
We another beardie (Chewy) they're housed separately eat the same food and close to the same age on the same diet. We separated them once we noticed Han was not getting enough food our other Beardie Chewy is a chunk. It has been about 3wks since they separated Han is now house in a 20 gallon tank (Yes, we know already planning on replacing it). Since separation Han has been thriving and doing far better. We recently switched from Crickets to Dubia Roaches last Saturday. Also, on last Sunday we switched Hans cage to a MVB. The only differences between the beardies is Chewy is a fattie and they have different tank setups.

Han's Tank Setup:
1) 125W Sun GLO MVB
2) 100W Ceramic Heat Emitter
3) Substrate Newspaper
4) 20Gal Tank

Chewy's Setup:
1) 40Gal Breader
2) 100w (UVA) Basking Light
3) 5.0 CFL (UVB)
4) 100w Ceramic Heater
5) Substrate repti sand

Routine:
10-20 sm-med Crickets /day or 4-6 dubia roaches /day
Kale every day with mango 2-3x
Carrots on occasion
Repti Calcium w/d3 every meal
Fluckers Repti boast 2-3x /wk
Repti-safe for water treatment
Bathtime - Treated Every Saturday
Handled: Close to everyday or every other at least. Take our regularly for 30-60 minutes.

Is he breathing well? Is it winter in your area? How young is he?

If you’re truly worried, take him to a vet. My own lost her appetite because of pinworms, then went into brumation after she’d been treated.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
jsmackle":3ilk10rf said:
Hey we are looking for some help.

Symptoms:
We noticed our beardie Han been closing his eye most of yesterday and today although he has still had a very healthy appetite. He is about 3.5" snout to rump with tail about 9" he is young. We have only had him about 2 mo's.

Actions Takes:
Removed MVB yesterday about 16hrs ago and now using just a 100w (UVA) basking light and heat emitter. No improvement yet.

Ask
How concerned should we be? Should be taking him to the vet? is it the MVB? Aghhhh! An MVB is very hard to get the right distance for proper UVB and heat combination, I will not use them at all, not to mention Sunglo is not a good brand of light period. I use an Arcadia 12%d3 in conjunction with a basking bulb to achieve a proper UVB to heat ratio

Background:
We another beardie (Chewy) they're housed separately eat the same food and close to the same age on the same diet. We separated them once we noticed Han was not getting enough food our other Beardie Chewy is a chunk. It has been about 3wks since they separated Han is now house in a 20 gallon tank (Yes, we know already planning on replacing it). Since separation Han has been thriving and doing far better. We recently switched from Crickets to Dubia Roaches last Saturday. Also, on last Sunday we switched Hans cage to a MVB. The only differences between the beardies is Chewy is a fattie and they have different tank setups.

Han's Tank Setup:
1) 125W Sun GLO MVB
2) 100W Ceramic Heat Emitter
3) Substrate Newspaper
4) 20Gal Tank

Chewy's Setup:
1) 40Gal Breader
2) 100w (UVA) Basking Light
3) 5.0 CFL (UVB) 5.0 is no where near strong enough for a dragons UVB needs, nothing less than a 10% bulb and make sure it is NOT a coil type UVB as they can cause EYE IRRITATION eye infections and/or blindness.
4) 100w Ceramic Heater
5) Substrate repti sand This stuff has killed more dragon's than you can imagine

Routine:
10-20 sm-med Crickets /day or 4-6 dubia roaches /day
Kale every day with mango 2-3x Khale is ok once in a while but not for everyday consumption, it binds with calcium and, runs it straight out the back. Feed mustard, collard or turnip greens daily
Carrots on occasion
Repti Calcium w/d3 every meal
Fluckers Repti boast 2-3x /wk
Repti-safe for water treatment
Bathtime - Treated Every Saturday
Handled: Close to everyday or every other at least. Take our regularly for 30-60 minutes.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The Sunglo is essentially just a basking bulb thath provides heat & UVA but no UVB. You will
need the Solarglo. That is the Exoterra brand. It is an ok bulb, is nice & bright & emits decent
UVB but not a lot. So, if you did change to the Solarglo MVB, I would recommend using one of
the T5 tube bulbs in conjunction with it to even out the UVB to UVA ratio.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom