Distance for Arcadia bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Hi everyone,

I’m upgrading my dragon’s enclosure because he’s outgrown his tank. It’s a DIY and he’ll have about 4’ wide by 3’ deep, but I’m trying to decide whether to convert the wall unit into one or two enclosures. The height would be 20” if I made it into 2, or 40” if one. I bought a 36” Arcadia 12% “Desert” bulb + a T5 HO fixture with a reflector. I know that this is a strong bulb and was wondering if there’s a minimum distance requirement, especially since he will have a perch. Also, does this fixture or bulb support the use of a dimmer? Thanks!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

If you are going to be using the Arcadia D3 12% T5 tube bulb, then the minimum distance is
recommended to be no closer than 10 inches, for safety, especially with a reflector. Will it be
mounted on top of or underneath of the screen top?
I don't use dimmers but I don't think it is a good idea to use a dimmer on a UVB tube bulb. A
dimmer wont work with a mercury vapor bulb, either if you were to use one. They will, however,
work with any basking bulb.

Tracie

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Drache613":1lk337p5 said:
Hello,

If you are going to be using the Arcadia D3 12% T5 tube bulb, then the minimum distance is
recommended to be no closer than 10 inches, for safety, especially with a reflector. Will it be
mounted on top of or underneath of the screen top?
I don't use dimmers but I don't think it is a good idea to use a dimmer on a UVB tube bulb. A
dimmer wont work with a mercury vapor bulb, either if you were to use one. They will, however,
work with any basking bulb.

Tracie

Thanks! I kinda figured that a dimmer wouldn't work given how tube bulbs operate. This is a picture of the enclosure so far. If I go with 2 sections, I'll be putting a piece of plywood horizontally to subdivide it, so there won't be anything obscuring the bulb. The three back panels are plexiglas but the two sides are fine mesh aluminum screen so there should be plenty of ventilation.
100140-51854505.jpg

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2efn9a1f said:
https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611 is a guide I put together .

Aim for 200 microW UVB / sq.cm at the basking spot.

Do you have any recommendations on a UV meter? Also, do you know about how long this particular tube lasts? I have been marking the existing Reptisun 10 ones so I remember to change them out on time, but this is a new setup for me.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Aaradimian":1lrfkjm7 said:
kingofnobbys":1lrfkjm7 said:
https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611 is a guide I put together .

Aim for 200 microW UVB / sq.cm at the basking spot.

Do you have any recommendations on a UV meter? Also, do you know about how long this particular tube lasts? I have been marking the existing Reptisun 10 ones so I remember to change them out on time, but this is a new setup for me.

The most important measurement is microW UVB / sq.cm so I'd recommend a Solarmeter Model 6.2 as the most useful to have, this will give a direct measure of UVB flux rather than the inferred UV intensity by measuring UVI.

There has been an issue with the phosphors in the Zoo Med T5ho tubes decaying sooner than expected over the last year or so (they changed manufacturers and the phosphors used in their tubes) , I'd recommend an Arcadia T5ho 12% UVB tube or maybe even their 14% UVB version if there will be 16" or so to the basking spot.
Arcadia recommend replacing their T5ho tubes annually.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Original Poster
The most important measurement is microW UVB / sq.cm so I'd recommend a Solarmeter Model 6.2 as the most useful to have, this will give a direct measure of UVB flux rather than the inferred UV intensity by measuring UVI.

There has been an issue with the phosphors in the Zoo Med T5ho tubes decaying sooner than expected over the last year or so (they changed manufacturers and the phosphors used in their tubes) , I'd recommend an Arcadia T5ho 12% UVB tube or maybe even their 14% UVB version if there will be 16" or so to the basking spot.
Arcadia recommend replacing their T5ho tubes annually.
Thanks king!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
What an awesome enclosure! I hope you don't split it, it would be so great to have one giant lizard palace like that.

I have a 22" 14% bulb that I've easily gotten 2 years out of, and it's still strong enough I just lower it periodically. It have a good gradient throughout my 4x4x2 cage. As as mentioned 10" is as close as you want to get with a 12%, but with a meter you can set your furnishings so you aren't over exposing. The further away you can keep any lights the better, which is another reason having more overhead space is good.

UVI is a much more practical and comkkn used way of measuring the effectiveness of UV lights. I'd recommend you go with a 6.5 meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom