Basking Bulb Bliss - How long do your bulbs last??

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Basking Bulb Bliss - How long do your bulbs last??

Postby launpalm » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:00 pm

Hey All,

Question for yalls. What kind of basking bulbs (brand) do you use? I have been going through about 6 Zoo Med 100 Watt Basking bulbs a year, and I'm finally fed up with how often they break. I usually buy them out of convenience on Amazon, but i'm looking for something that is more durable.

Does anyone have any recommendations for brands that last for more than 2 months? Plus where to buy them? I was looking into switching from the incandescent lights to the halogen lights, did anyone have any luck with that?

Thanks!
Drogo's Mom
launpalm
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Basking Bulb Bliss - How long do your bulbs last??

Postby Scion19801 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:12 pm

I use GE 38 watt par 38 halogen bulbs in my 4x2x2 tank on a dimmer. I get them in a 2 pack at home building supply store. I originally stared out with 75 watt units but they were too hot. I know others on here also use these bulbs a well.
Scion19801
Hatchling Poster

Postby Peach » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:06 am

I use flood lights from the hardware store too. Set up the tank at the end of July and finally replaced the flood light 2 weeks ago. My T5 light (set up at the same time) I just replaced mid-October when it burned out. That was a little short-lived I thought. The lights re on a timer and are on from 8AM to 9PM.
~Peach
Peach
Hatchling Poster

Postby Blackenedsabbath » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:29 pm

I use the Exo Terra Intense basking light, I've been using the 100W bulb for 7ish months and it still puts out a decent amount of heat. However, I've found these bulbs to be a lot warmer than the Zoo Med ones so if you consider trying it, keep that in mind when picking the wattage.
"*blep*"
- Pancake
Blackenedsabbath
Hatchling Poster

Postby Xanelic » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:34 pm

I use a halogen 60W bulb from Home Depot :wink:
>>Chien is 5 months old<<
Xanelic
Hatchling Poster

Postby AHBD » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:38 pm

Most long time owners, myself included, don't bother with pet store bulbs. Just go to Walmart or home improvement store + but a 4 pack of 75-100 watt halogen or other incandescent bulbs. It's all I've ever used for heat in over 20 years. They last for months, and if one blows out early you have 3 more . The 4 bulbs generally cost less than 1 pet store bulb.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby JessPets » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:19 pm

Yep, halogens are the way to go! Mine was actually already used when I started with it, and it has lasted for over two years now, and is still going strong!
Loki The Beardie
JessPets
Gray-bearded Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Enclosures