Bearded buddy has a broken shoulder

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

Bearded buddy has a broken shoulder

Postby Shieldwolf » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:02 pm

Somehow our bearded dragon had broken his shoulder. The vet who specializes in dragons said there's no splint we put on it and not much we can do. Either it will get better or it won't. Well that devastated my son. It's his front left leg. He move's around but pretty much just drags his arm. I was wondering if anyone had built or knows of a way to build a little cart for a beared dragon so he could keep his arm still and kind and wheel himself around with with his other three appendages.
Shieldwolf
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Bearded buddy has a broken shoulder

Postby AHBD » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:14 am

Hi there, a cart will never work and your beardie will probably recover. I've seen them lame like that + heal up as long as they are not handled roughly + the tank is set up so they don't have high areas to jump or fall from. How did it happen ? If he has a hammock, take it out because they can snag a nail + twist a leg . Good uvb + calcium are also essential. Can you post pics of the set up, the baby [ close ups ] + the lights ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby Shieldwolf » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:23 am

No Idea how it happened. We just noticed that he wasn't moving a lot and then when he did it was without the use of his arm. That said, we've removed his branch he likes to climb. I've replaced his water dish for top of a container so he doesn't have to try and lift himself over the the top of the dish. I'm trying to feed him crickets out of my hand so he doesn't have to try and chase them down. He's mobile and will move if needed, but trying to cut down on that.
Shieldwolf
Newbie Poster

Postby AHBD » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:54 am

How's the little guy doing ? Can you post any pics ?
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:10 am

Exactly what bones in the shoulder are broken ?

Did the vet provide you with the xrays of the injury ? …. can you upload them.

I would think full shoulder and arm cast to immobilize the shoulder and arm while it's healing would be an option alone with a course of pain relief (injections) and oral vet grade liquid calcium.
I'd be remodeling the tank , no more climbing at least until the dragon's shoulder has set / healed.
Maybe be permanently disabled but so long as pain can be managed no reason while he can't have happy and active and long life.

BTW : I know of case where a vet glued a small specially made plate on a lace monitor's broken shoulder blade (involved exposing it surgically under a general).
CBDs: Puff (M)(RIP 10Dec2015 @ 3.2 yrs old (aneurism)),Rex (F)(RIP 16Mar2017 @ 4.6 yrs old,Toothless (M)(sudden unexplained death RIP 26Nov2017) @ 2.1 yrs old.Peppa (F) (born 15Nov2015).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Lucky (M)(wild juvenile), cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.Wriggles (F)(rescued injured),thought she was a big lizard, 7-8 yrs old, died in her sleep, RIP 2Feb2016). Fluffy (F) rescued 14Nov2017 about 4 yrs old . .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Addict

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Beardie ER