New Baby Looking/acting sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissBean

Hello,

I recently purchased a baby from a local reptile store. She is 6 weeks old tomorrow.

Her enclosure:
20 gallon
10.0 reptisun bar
75watt heat lamp
Paper towels as substrate
Water dish (took out water dish yesterday thinking there may be humidity causing symptoms. No change in behavior.)
(Don’t have current temps, as I am waiting for the temp gun to come in the mail)

Her first week home:

She ate great. Ravenous appetite
Left her alone. Only went in her tank to drop crickets, provide greens, and change paper towels. When I noticed she wasn’t going in her water dish to hydrate I placed her in it. But left her alone if she wanted out.

The past three days (starting exactly one week in new home)
Will not eat crickets when I put them in her tank.
Have given her a bath every day thinking she was dehydrated.

Today:
Looks very thin. Sunken in towards hips and belly.
She ate two dubia roaches. Refused crickets.
Gave her two baths.

While handeling her over the past three days (which has only been to give her a bath):
She vibrates.

While handeling her today:
Vibrating, head shaking, whole body shaking. This was all taking place from the time I picked her up for her bath, during her bath, and after her bath.

(Gave her two baths today because the woman I bought her from said she is dehydrated. When I called her back to let her know about the shaking she said it was due to dehydration.)

Also...she has had bowel movements everyday. They are solid, and have a ring of moisture around them. Not sure if the ring of moisture is just because it’s on paper towel or not.

Thanks for all of the help!

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Is the reptisun a t8 or t5,? Also do you dust the feeders with calcium? I use a dropper to give my dragons water.

MissBean

Original Poster
T5. I was dusting them, but because I was buying so many in the beginning I just used gut loader because they were getting gross inside the cricket keeper.

Yesterday I dusted her salad but she didn’t eat any of it.
And now she is sitting only on the cook side of her tank.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
hi Miss bean how are the temperatures on the basking side?maybe time for a vet visit.baby beardies can go downhill very fast when there sick.

MissBean

Original Poster
Hello.

I’m still waiting for the darn thermometer to come in the mail. I should have it tomorrow morning. Rush delivery isn’t so rush these days ?

I brought her to the reptile store I purchased her from. She gave me a syringe feeder and some baby food looking nutrients to feed her. It’s so hard! I know it’s stressing her out, but I also know she needs it. Force feeding is not easy for either of us. She also said she thinks that the problem is probably lack of heat.

But I do have her lights on from sunrise to sunset and her night lamp on as well. She chooses not to sit as close to the heat lamp as possible and when I place her there she moves within a few seconds.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
ok baby beardies can have a basking spot of 110 but no more then that the cold end try to get it 80 to 83f you can also use the thermometers you buy at the grocery store for cooking the infra red is ok but for basking spots they can be off a few degrees or get a probe thermostat you can buy those online at the petstore or walmart baby food syringe you can also buy that at a pharmacy or walmart turkey and chicken is good you can mix veggie baby food as well likesweet potatoe,squash or green beans if they have it 1 baby food is like 1 dollar and lasts a few days.i dont recommend night lights if you room gets cold get a ceramic heat emitter an off and on will do i bought a few of these thermostats and i love them i use one on my beardie for hes heater https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KEYDNKK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
i forgot to mention the thermostat you can put it on a timer and will keep it settings very nice you need to calibrated with the infra red thermometer you are getting you can set the temp 0.1 degrees if you like.if you get one of those there a bit confusing to operate but i can help after you get the hang of it there easy.

MissBean

Original Poster
Thanks everyone so very much for the info. So I got the temp gun. Her basking spot is 111, and cool side is 90

That’s at our hottest point of the day in the house.

I’m still feeding her the reptile “baby food” as she still won’t eat on her own. She just had a bowel movement and it was cloudy liquid with loose urate. Thinking it’s due to the food, but I’m not for certain.

She has perked up a little more today. But she still shakes when I pick her up. ???

Also...went to a feed store and purchased extra small dubia roaches for her, kale, cabbage, and carrots. Fingers crossed she eats on her own today.

MissBean

Original Poster
Beardeddtagonlover":2pmqvf7v said:
ok baby beardies can have a basking spot of 110 but no more then that the cold end try to get it 80 to 83f you can also use the thermometers you buy at the grocery store for cooking the infra red is ok but for basking spots they can be off a few degrees or get a probe thermostat you can buy those online at the petstore or walmart baby food syringe you can also buy that at a pharmacy or walmart turkey and chicken is good you can mix veggie baby food as well likesweet potatoe,squash or green beans if they have it 1 baby food is like 1 dollar and lasts a few days.i dont recommend night lights if you room gets cold get a ceramic heat emitter an off and on will do i bought a few of these thermostats and i love them i use one on my beardie for hes heater https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KEYDNKK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Definitely going to look into those. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom