Wrinkly beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gretchen

Hatchling Member
Hey guys. So not sure if it's normal when a beardie is turned to the side and wrinkles appear (probably is but paranoid mom here). She's bathed every other day and misted on days she's not bathed. Recently she's not finishing her veggies but does eat quite a bit of them (1/2 of her dish more or less) She's active and eats her crickets like crazy. Worried she's dehydrated ?? should this be something to worry about??
full

This is her right now.
full

Savora

Hatchling Member
I've also worried about my beardie's wrinkles!! Haha, glad I'm not the only one. I think she looks fine, she definitely looks very happy and healthy! (At least, I'm hoping she doesn't look dehydrated because my beardie winkles out when she bends too!)

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Same here... my beardie gets that too. For now I'm calling it wrinkle abs :lol:

Here are some signs if beardie is dehydrated:

Sunken eyes
Your dragon perks up after drinking
Wrinkled skin
Lack of appetite
Lack of energy

One way you can test to see if your bearded dragon is dehydrated is by gently pinching their skin with your fingers (where the skin is generally lose). If the skin holds its shape after you let go for a few moments (instead of immediately going back to place) then your bearded dragon is most likely dehydrated.

If you suspect your bearded dragon is dehydrated then you need to try to coax them into drinking water, Pedialyte, or sports drinks like Powerade (diluted 1:1 in water). You should try to get them to drink first by giving them fresh water, but if that doesn't work you can try using an eye dropper or a small syringe without the needle.

Source: http://www.thebeardeddragon.org/bearded-dragon-health.php

Gretchen

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you all sooo much. I think I'd go insane without this beardie forum. Gretchen very rarely drinks water even if I drop it on her nose but she's always in or sprayed with it and eats her veggies. That's why I thought maybe she could be dehydrated. I've done the pinch the skin and it goes back to normal. Some days (like yesterday she ate i swear 70+ crickets
Lol) she's a freaken pig when it comes to eating and some days she's not like this morning. She ate whatever crickets crawled up to her basking spot. Her laziness is starting to come through like mine lol. You guys are all awesome. Thanks again ❤??

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Your welcome. I know the feeling... when you watch your beardie eat and still waiting like "more protein mom please"... its like really?!? More.....!? :shock:
Glad the pinch test went back to normal. They are also getting the water from their greens/veggies/fruits :) My beardie hates water with a passion i even try dripping water on nose and as soon as a little water drop hits part of the body ... runs like a bat out of hell :lol:

If your bearded dragon is Young that would be the reason to why he or she would be eating more crickets and less vegetables. But either way there should be no worry. Also with the wrinkles yes that just happens when they turn to the side like that, a good way to see if your beardie is dehydrated is to take a little bit of their skin and pinch it together gently and see how fast it goes back into place if it goes fast your bearded dragon is fine if it goes slow then he or she is dehydrated and needs a little bit of water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom