Beardy might be getting MBD

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

Beardy might be getting MBD

Postby bjacksy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:41 am

Hi, my baby bearded dragon, Delta, is starting to become very weak. She won’t walk and her front right foot is limp, along with her back left foot. She hasn’t been eating, and is shedding. This just now started to happen. Most times she is a happy little dragon eating tons of crickets and has the willingness to bask. Another thing along with it, she can’t get any fat pads as much as I feed her. She poops on a daily basis and everything and I’m super worried about her. I’ve never had luck with bearded dragons in the past because I never knew about uvb bulbs and how they’re essential to their growth. I would really appreciate a response and any help possible. Thanks!
bjacksy
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:43 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Beardy might be getting MBD

Postby bjacksy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:41 am

Another update- she now is not walking at all and her back legs have gone limp too. Her back legs seems a little tough to move along with it. Need help ASAP
bjacksy
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:43 pm

Re: Beardy might be getting MBD

Postby destiny1998 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:21 pm

Hi. Sorry your baby is having issues. Can you give a rundown of the set up? Lights? Brands? Temps and how you take them?
destiny1998
Extreme Poster
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:08 pm

Re: Beardy might be getting MBD

Postby Drache613 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:07 am

Hello,

If your dragon is developing metabolic bone disease this rapidly, then you may not be using the
correct UVB light. How old is Delta & how long is she?
Please review your tank setup with us, such as the type/brand of UVB lighting, basking light &
the temperatures, substrate used, foods given, supplementation types & frequencies used along
with some pictures of your dragon & the setup.
That is the only way we can determine what could be going on.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie
User avatar
Drache613
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 36961
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: May, Texas

Re: Beardy might be getting MBD

Postby bjacksy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:03 am

destiny1998 wrote:Hi. Sorry your baby is having issues. Can you give a rundown of the set up? Lights? Brands? Temps and how you take them?



First I have to say is, thank you so much for responding. I have the reptisun 10.0 t8 uvb bulb over her screen top. My dad and I are planning on propping it inside her tank this weekend or tonight. I use a digital thermometer with a probe at the end. And I think I have the zoo med basking bulb, not too sure. The main reason I think she is getting MBD is because she has became lethargic and has a lack of appetite and I’m afraid her back legs are paralyzed, but not fully. Last, The temps are about 90-95 sometimes even 99 degrees. Do you think if I put the uvb bulb inside the tank she can get support back?
bjacksy
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:43 pm

Re: Beardy might be getting MBD

Postby bjacksy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:09 am

Drache613 wrote:Hello,

If your dragon is developing metabolic bone disease this rapidly, then you may not be using the
correct UVB light. How old is Delta & how long is she?
Please review your tank setup with us, such as the type/brand of UVB lighting, basking light &
the temperatures, substrate used, foods given, supplementation types & frequencies used along
with some pictures of your dragon & the setup.
That is the only way we can determine what could be going on.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie



Thank you so much for responding! I am so thankful to get some help, because you people seem very knowledgeable. Delta is about 7-8 months old. She is about 11-12 inches long. I use a reptisun 10.0 t8 uvb bulb but above a screen top. I am planning to prop the bulb inside her tank and hope for her to get bone support once again. I think we have the zoo med basking bulb. Not to sure but I think so. Temps range from about 90-99 degrees and I use repti carpet. She eats crix and I use the reptical calcium with vitamin d3. She gets calcium every other day along with collard greens. I will try to post a pic
bjacksy
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:43 pm

Re: Beardy might be getting MBD

Postby bjacksy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:11 am

[Click image to enlarge]



I know I posted this pic, but I don’t know how to upload other photos because I used the XIMG
bjacksy
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:43 pm

Re: Beardy might be getting MBD

Postby Pastella » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:23 am

What kind of substrate are you using?
Impaction can cause paralysis and many of the other symptoms you describe. I'm sorry this is happening to your beardie :(

Edit- Just saw your picture. Looks like you're using tile, so impaction is far less likely.
User avatar
Pastella
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:04 am
Location: California
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Beardy might be getting MBD

Postby bjacksy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:15 pm

Pastella wrote:What kind of substrate are you using?
Impaction can cause paralysis and many of the other symptoms you describe. I'm sorry this is happening to your beardie :(

Edit- Just saw your picture. Looks like you're using tile, so impaction is far less likely.



I am using repticarpet but it is the kind that is frilled, I guess you could say. It kind of is like it can be used with shedding. To be honest, I really think that she is impacted because she has been eating really big crickets(bumped the size up, but not bigger than her eye space) lately. What do you think I could do to “treat” or help her? Any suggestions, and when impacted can you help them?
bjacksy
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:43 pm

Re: Beardy might be getting MBD

Postby Pastella » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:28 pm

Has she pooped any since symptoms started?

Looking at the picture, are those a bunch of mealworms in one of the bowls? Feeding mealworms to younger beardies is not recommended and controversial as there are impaction concerns. Overfeeding or feeding insects too large are other causes of impaction.

"Impaction in the bearded dragon is highly unlikely to go away on its own, and can ultimately prove fatal. If you know or suspect that your dragon is impacted, there are a couple of things that you can try at home to help your pet to clear it, but if this proves ineffective, your pet will need to see a vet straight away.

The best way to try to clear an impaction at home involves using a natural, reptile-safe laxative such as pure, unsweetened pureed prunes, fed to your pet through a small syringe. Generally, using the syringe to dab the pureed prunes onto your pet’s nose will encourage them to lick it off.

Then, place your pet in a warm bath up to their shoulders, and keep them in it for up to half an hour, keeping the water temperature constant for the duration. Gently stroking your pet’s flanks from the chest downwards may help to move things along, but do not apply pressure or massage this area.

If this proves ineffective, you should take your dragon to the vet ASAP, as there is nothing else you will be able to do for them at home."
-Source
User avatar
Pastella
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:04 am
Location: California

Re: Beardy might be getting MBD

Postby bjacksy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:00 pm

Pastella wrote:Has she pooped any since symptoms started?

Looking at the picture, are those a bunch of mealworms in one of the bowls? Feeding mealworms to younger beardies is not recommended and controversial as there are impaction concerns. Overfeeding or feeding insects too large are other causes of impaction.

"Impaction in the bearded dragon is highly unlikely to go away on its own, and can ultimately prove fatal. If you know or suspect that your dragon is impacted, there are a couple of things that you can try at home to help your pet to clear it, but if this proves ineffective, your pet will need to see a vet straight away.

The best way to try to clear an impaction at home involves using a natural, reptile-safe laxative such as pure, unsweetened pureed prunes, fed to your pet through a small syringe. Generally, using the syringe to dab the pureed prunes onto your pet’s nose will encourage them to lick it off.

Then, place your pet in a warm bath up to their shoulders, and keep them in it for up to half an hour, keeping the water temperature constant for the duration. Gently stroking your pet’s flanks from the chest downwards may help to move things along, but do not apply pressure or massage this area.

If this proves ineffective, you should take your dragon to the vet ASAP, as there is nothing else you will be able to do for them at home."
-Source




I don’t give her mealworms because I had already found out that that can happen. One of my beardies only lived for four days because of it. But do you think that if I put the uvb bulb inside her tank and feed smaller foods that it can go away? But give her baths too?
bjacksy
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:43 pm

Re: Beardy might be getting MBD

Postby bjacksy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:01 pm

She pooped yesterday when we gave her a bath. The mealworms I have ate dried up mealworms and do you think that if she poops a whole bunch that she can get better? Sorry and thank you
Last edited by bjacksy on Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bjacksy
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:43 pm

Re: Beardy might be getting MBD

Postby bjacksy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:12 am

Mealworms are dried up*
Last edited by bjacksy on Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bjacksy
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:43 pm

Impaction?

Postby bjacksy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:23 am

Bearded dragons front right and back left leg isn’t “working.” And hasnt pooped for like two days. Can I stick the uvb bulb inside her tank and give baths to help? We will take her to the vet soon.
bjacksy
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:43 pm

Re: Impaction?

Postby Drache613 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:42 am

Hello,

What is your dragon's size, did you feed too large of an insect? Which substrate are you using
for him?
You can place the UVB inside of the tank, strategically. Which UVB light are you using? It would
need to be mounted directly overhead to give the best exposure & at a safe level.
Baths can help an impaction, but if she is truly impacted, you can start giving some softer foods
such as sugar free applesauce, canned unspiced pumpkin & a few drops of coconut or olive oil
to help move things through better. Be sure her basking spot is optimal temperatures, also.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie
User avatar
Drache613
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 36961
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: May, Texas
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Next

Return to Beardie ER

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users