Basking spot temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyronee

Hi guys

I am soon to be getting my first beardie and I have been trying to ace my enclosure to give it the best life i can. I am all set to go but I am currently having trouble with the basking spot. The basking spot which it would sit on is a polyresin hideaway which the light sits about 6 or 7 inches away from it. Im using a 100w solar spotlight bulb connected to a high temperature microclimate dimmer with the temp at about 100-110F. I have two thermometer one at the cold end showing around 75-80F and the other at the hot end right next to the basking showing 100-110F. But when i use my infrared digital thermometer on the basking spot its showing up at 140-150F! Which i know is way to hot but when i turn the bulb down by the dimmer then everything else is getting too cold. When i touch the basking spot it feels hot yes but not too hot. Im clueless what to do atm which is why i am putting off getting my beardie till i can sort this problem sorted. Shall i get a different basking stone or completely remove it and let it bask on the reptile carpet? Or anyone reccomend something to replace it. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks you guys!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's quite a difference in readings. Are you getting a proper read from the temp gun? Perhaps it's reading some hot spots which aren't good to have. I prefer using PAR38 halogen flood lights with my thermostat. They dim well and tend to provide a nice wide even beam. I would move it a bit further away though if you can. That will help make the beam wider and keep the light well out of reach to avoid burns. You may need to test out a few different wattages/brands before you get it just right but once you do you can keep several on hand as replacements.

Tyronee

Original Poster
Thank you for the info! I've ordered some wood for it to bask on to see if it becomes just as hot. If it does then I will invest in a lower wattage bulb like the one you reccomended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom