Liquid Calcium w/o Vitamin D3

Status
Not open for further replies.

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
So kingofnobby's recently suggested in another thread using Calcivet, but unfortunately, it contains Vitamin D3. My Bearded Dragon gets plentiful amounts of that as it is and I'm worried he might overdose otherwise, but for the meantime, he hasn't been getting any calcium in plentiful amounts in his diet. He refuses to eat any protein other than meal/super-worms and refuses to eat veggies that are dusted. Basically, he has gone without a dusting of food for two and a half months now. I can see things like his under-jaw jutting out from underneath ever so slightly nowadays, so I'm worried. He is a little over a year old.

What ways can I administer calcium to my Iggy, when it seems that all the Liquid Calciums contain Vitamin D3? I really don't want to buy the chemistry equipment (volumetric flasks, precision scales, etc.) to make up the solution myself (one of my degrees during my time at university included a major in Applied Chemistry). Advice would be helpful, thank you.

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Original Poster
destiny1998":36hgtlmc said:
Hi. I ordered some calcium that dissolves in water. I ordered it off bearded dragon.co.

Hmm, it must be salted as a chloride then. Thanks, I'll use that site if I can't get pure calcium chloride anywhere else ^ ^

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I found a product that fits my needs! It's `JurassiCal Liquid x 250ml` and contains no such Vitamin D3 or phosphates, only the goodness of calcium ions :) If anyone has any experience with this product then please, share your thoughts on it. I'd like to hear what others think of it before I start to use it myself once the delivery arrives!

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":15hnrcvn said:
Your vet can supply a bottle made up for your dragon .

Alternatively , contact http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/ by phone or email and ask what they carry.

I think Reptile One Liquid Calcium is NOT fortified with vitD3 but I've never used it.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Calcium-Liquid-Reptile-Reptile-One-150ml-Scientific-Formulation-Easy-Absorption-/272770843036?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Oh awesome! I didn't know the vets would be willing to supply a bottle made up for you. I had already contacted VetnPet Direct before you mentioned them though and they had only products which were fortified with Vitamin D3. Thanks for the eBay link too! It looks like I might need it since my delivery of the JurassiCal hasn't showed yet, and I'm not sure if it will :( I've gotten no email from the seller or anything.

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Okay, so the JurassiCal did show up after all and Iggy HATES the taste of it! He shakes his head repeatedly and fusses enough to make it impossible to get anything into his muzzle at all. So I diluted it 1:2 with some tap water and added a few grams of sugar to sweeten it, and he seemed much more accepting of the solution after that. I think the bottle said there's 800 mg of calcium for every 5 mL of straight up solution. I basically gave him 5 mL of diluted stuff that was mixed up as per above, which should mean he received 400 mg of calcium if I am remembering correctly with what the bottle mentioned.

So my question is, am I doing everything correctly? Or is there something wrong and/or disagreeable with what I am doing? Thank you.

EDIT: For those who don't understand, I gave Iggy the solution by syringe :) So yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom