Baby Beardie Going Stiff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptogal

Original Poster
He is doing a lot better, but I would like to get the best uvb lighting as possible, could somebody send me a link for the right one with a fixture as well because it’s kind of confusing buying the right light and right fixture. He has a long 75 gallon tank. I think it’s 48x24x24 or around there.
He has gone off crickets for some reason but he will eat other live food

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Well, the best type of UVB light you can possibly buy for a Bearded Dragon is a T5-strength fluorescent UVB tube, inside a tube fixture that has a reflector that sits behind the UVB tube to ensure that adequate UVB light is reflected throughout the tank. The T5 UVB tubes can sit on top of the mesh lid to the tank just as long as your dragon's basking spot/platform is within at least 10-11" of the tube itself (unlike the much weaker T8 UVB tubes, which must be strapped to the underside of the mesh lid and be within at least 6" of the tube). The T5 UVB tubes must be replaced once every 12 months, as that's about the age that they stop emitting any UVB light (the weaker T8 tubes must be replaced once every 6 months).

The 2 brands that are considered the highest quality that most of experienced owners and breeders use are Reptisun 10.0 and Arcadia. The T5 UVB tube has to be at least a 10% UVB tube, or at least a 10.0 (not a 5.0, 3.0, 2.0, etc.).

So the most popular choices are the Reptisun 10.0 T5HO UVB tube, which comes in lengths of 16", 22", 34", and 46"; or the Arcadia 12% T5 UVB tube, which comes in lengths of 18", 24", 36", and 48"...For your size of tank you need at least a 22"/24" at the shortest, and a 34"/36" would probably be better. The Reptisun 10.0 T5HO tubes are going to be a bit cheaper than the Arcadia tubes, but both are just fine for your Dragon. I've been using the Reptisun 10.0 T5HO tubes for years with nothing but great results.

As far as I've seen, the cheapest place to buy them is on Amazon.com; if anyone else knows of a cheaper place, please post the link...

Here's the page for the Reptisun 10.0 T5HO UVB tubes on Amazon.com:

22": https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00K2BN7HK/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

34": https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01BB6334G/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Here's the pages for the correct length of T5-rated Fixture, this is the cheapest T5-rated Fixture that includes a Reflector:

24": https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00J3TR60Q/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

36": https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AKKUNIY/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp_2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3341940462&pd_rd_wg=0xyt0&pf_rd_r=3RQKGMZ1MQERTY79B4SQ&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-bottom-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B00AKKUNIY&pd_rd_w=tBxYa&pf_rd_i=36%22+t5+light+fixture&pd_rd_r=84fba608-9e7e-4999-aa07-d238fc4ea717&ie=UTF8&qid=1518986801&sr=2

******EDIT: I forgot to point out that the 22" and the 34" Reptisun 10.0 t5HO UVB Tubes fit into 24" and 36" T5-rated Fixtures, respectively, so both of the fixtures I posted the links to will fit the 22" and the 34" tubes I posted the links to, respectively.

Reptogal

Original Poster
EllenD":jcxxshy8 said:
Well, the best type of UVB light you can possibly buy for a Bearded Dragon is a T5-strength fluorescent UVB tube, inside a tube fixture that has a reflector that sits behind the UVB tube to ensure that adequate UVB light is reflected throughout the tank. The T5 UVB tubes can sit on top of the mesh lid to the tank just as long as your dragon's basking spot/platform is within at least 10-11" of the tube itself (unlike the much weaker T8 UVB tubes, which must be strapped to the underside of the mesh lid and be within at least 6" of the tube). The T5 UVB tubes must be replaced once every 12 months, as that's about the age that they stop emitting any UVB light (the weaker T8 tubes must be replaced once every 6 months).

The 2 brands that are considered the highest quality that most of experienced owners and breeders use are Reptisun 10.0 and Arcadia. The T5 UVB tube has to be at least a 10% UVB tube, or at least a 10.0 (not a 5.0, 3.0, 2.0, etc.).

So the most popular choices are the Reptisun 10.0 T5HO UVB tube, which comes in lengths of 16", 22", 34", and 46"; or the Arcadia 12% T5 UVB tube, which comes in lengths of 18", 24", 36", and 48"...For your size of tank you need at least a 22"/24" at the shortest, and a 34"/36" would probably be better. The Reptisun 10.0 T5HO tubes are going to be a bit cheaper than the Arcadia tubes, but both are just fine for your Dragon. I've been using the Reptisun 10.0 T5HO tubes for years with nothing but great results.

As far as I've seen, the cheapest place to buy them is on Amazon.com; if anyone else knows of a cheaper place, please post the link...

Here's the page for the Reptisun 10.0 T5HO UVB tubes on Amazon.com:

22": https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00K2BN7HK/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

34": https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01BB6334G/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Here's the pages for the correct length of T5-rated Fixture, this is the cheapest T5-rated Fixture that includes a Reflector:

24": https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00J3TR60Q/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

36": https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AKKUNIY/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp_2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3341940462&pd_rd_wg=0xyt0&pf_rd_r=3RQKGMZ1MQERTY79B4SQ&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-bottom-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B00AKKUNIY&pd_rd_w=tBxYa&pf_rd_i=36%22+t5+light+fixture&pd_rd_r=84fba608-9e7e-4999-aa07-d238fc4ea717&ie=UTF8&qid=1518986801&sr=2

******EDIT: I forgot to point out that the 22" and the 34" Reptisun 10.0 t5HO UVB Tubes fit into 24" and 36" T5-rated Fixtures, respectively, so both of the fixtures I posted the links to will fit the 22" and the 34" tubes I posted the links to, respectively.

Okay first of all thank you so much for giving me all that info and the links, I did end up ordering the longer one that you suggested. But I do have one problem... Stupid me returned the other UVB light thinking that this one that I knew I would be ordering today would be here in a day or two, but its not coming until the 21st.... what do I do until then?

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Oh my, well, do you live in a place where the outside temperature is at least up over 60 degrees F? If so, then an hour or two every day under natural sunlight is just as good as 13 hours under a UVB tube...otherwise, I'm not sure what to do except wait...they can typically go a few days without UVB light when they are healthy and not suffering from any type of calcium deficiency, so hopefully he'll be okay with just having his bright-white colored Basking Bulb on each day for at least 13 hours, that's all you can do until the new UVB tube/fixture arrives. He should be okay, but if there is any way you can get him outside for direct sunlight it would be good...And no, UVB light does not at all penetrate any type of glass or clear plastic, so sitting him in the window sill will not provide any UVB light at all. I've seen people do this meaning well, but it doesn't work...

Reptogal

Original Poster
Okay I will have to check and see what the temps for this week are going to be :) Thank you so much for your help, also totally off topic but my username is silly, should I change it to my name :lol:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He should be ok until then, while you are waiting for the new light. He is going to love the
new T5 light, the emissions are very good.
How is he doing, is he eating very much? Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Reptogal

Original Poster
Drache613":2ik76sop said:
Hello,

He should be ok until then, while you are waiting for the new light. He is going to love the
new T5 light, the emissions are very good.
How is he doing, is he eating very much? Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

He ate a lot yesterday, but not anything yet today, but I have ordered some Phoenix worms and I’ve also just gotten some dubia roaches to give him more of a variety since he doesn’t want crickets right now :/ he is very picky when it comes to veggies, any suggestions on that? And he has gone poo yesterday and the day before, not yet today, thought that was an important thing to mention, he is moving a lot better as well, a little slower than usual still though

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
As far as the greens/veggies go, most dragons don't eat many, if any, before they are up close to a year and a half/2 years old, when they typically switch themselves over from tons of bugs to tons of salad. But you're right, offering a variety of not only greens/veggies and bugs is key, as a lot of Dragons do get bored eating the same thing every day (can't blame them)...

Healthy, fresh greens for Dragons include Collard Greens, Mustard Greens, Turnip Greens, Dandelion Greens, Bok Choy and Pak Choy, Escarole, Endive, Arugula/Rocket, and Chard...For fresh veggies, try any types of Squash, like Butternut, Spaghetti, Acorn, Yellow, and Green/Zucchini, all colors of Bell Peppers (red, green, orange, yellow), green beans, pea pods, and then a little broccoli and carrot in moderation.

As far as his bowel movements, it's fine if he doesn't go every day, or even every couple of days. Usually babies and juveniles that are under a year old go more often than sub-adults and adults over a year old, but there is no set rule or pattern as to how often they need to go. A good rule of thumb is don't get excited or worried until 10 days has gone by without a bowel movement, at that point you can assume that he might be a bit constipated/impacted, and at that point you'll want to mix a jar of Prune Baby Food mixed with 2-3 tablespoons of plain, raw, canned pumpkin (not the canned pie mix, lol, just plain old canned pumpkin, it's all fiber), and a little water or unflavored Pedialyte, mix it really well, and drip it on his snout for him to lick off, then let him bask for an hour or two, then give him a nice, warmer than average bath for 15-20 minutes. Usually they'll go after one or two cycles of this laxative slurry protocol...But you don't need to do anything until the 10 day mark goes by. If he goes 2, 3, 5, 7, 9 days without a bowel movement it's okay.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope he did well today! Hopefully he will like the phoenix worms you ordered for him,
most tend to. They definitely are picky sometimes! LOL
Just keep trying with the greens & veggies, it does take time for them to get used to it
being a regular food source. Give him time, eventually he will get better at eating them.
Just keep a variety for him.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Reptogal

Original Poster
Thank you so much everybody! He is doing way better, I have just found out that he likes to play dead lol, especially when he knows it’s bath time, so I think that was part of the issue with him going stiff, because he does move around really good, I never knew they played dead until I saw a post about it. He has eaten a lot today again! I had to leave him for a few hours while I went to work but he did great and ate almost all the worms I had left for him in his bowl :D the UVB will be here tomorrow so that is also great

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is wonderful to hear he is doing so much better now! So he is scared when he goes into
his bath? Do you keep your hand in the water with him, or putting a towel on the bottom of
the plastic bin for comfort? Be sure not to make the water too deep as well.
I am happy to hear your light is coming soon also, that should help him out quite a bit.
At least he ate his worms today, hopefully his appetite will continue to pick up.

Keep us posted on him.
Tracie

Reptogal

Original Poster
Drache613":2tdav04y said:
Hello,

That is wonderful to hear he is doing so much better now! So he is scared when he goes into
his bath? Do you keep your hand in the water with him, or putting a towel on the bottom of
the plastic bin for comfort? Be sure not to make the water too deep as well.
I am happy to hear your light is coming soon also, that should help him out quite a bit.
At least he ate his worms today, hopefully his appetite will continue to pick up.

Keep us posted on him.
Tracie

I do put my hand in the water beside him usually, but I should try the towel thing :)

Okay I am really annoyed... the light broke in transit and they didn’t even inform me. I don’t know what to do now what if it gets here too late :( gah

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
That's not good...did you order the T5 UVB tube and a fixture for it? Do you already have the T5-rated tube fixture? What length did you order? I'm asking because you may be able to find an adequate UVB tube at a local pet shop. I just wasn't sure if you ordered a fixture for the T5 tube too, if you did then you'd have to find a T5 strength tube that is the same length as the fixture, and if you got the 36" fixture that would be difficult.

It's 72 degrees right now in central PA (it's the apocalypse, I swear it is), so depending on where you're at you might be able to get him outside for some direct sunlight...other than that just call them and get them to overnight you the tube, they should do it for free at this point...

Reptogal

Original Poster
EllenD":3kf5wugo said:
That's not good...did you order the T5 UVB tube and a fixture for it? Do you already have the T5-rated tube fixture? What length did you order? I'm asking because you may be able to find an adequate UVB tube at a local pet shop. I just wasn't sure if you ordered a fixture for the T5 tube too, if you did then you'd have to find a T5 strength tube that is the same length as the fixture, and if you got the 36" fixture that would be difficult.

It's 72 degrees right now in central PA (it's the apocalypse, I swear it is), so depending on where you're at you might be able to get him outside for some direct sunlight...other than that just call them and get them to overnight you the tube, they should do it for free at this point...

I ordered this https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01BB6334G/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I also ordered a fixture for it, I guess it was the fixture that broke... but now I have just found out that they are sold out so Idk what to do... which hood do I get now..? I feel like such a terrible person what if Juniper (my beardie) gets sick... should I find a vet to take care of him while I sort this out..? And it is 55 degrees out :/ that’s probably too cold huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom