Tiny furry black worm found in my superworms. Help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Hello, I just went to my local pet store to purchase some superworms for my bearded dragons. While I was counting the superworms I found a small, fuzzy looking worm. It is probably about half an inch long and appears to be covered in tiny brownish black hairs. It does not look like anything I have seen before, and I am very concerned about whether it is poisonous or not. So just to be safe, I am not going to feed my dragons the supers that were in the same container as the worm. View media item 60960it is very small.View media item 61077 View media item 60627 this is what the superworms are in.

Any ideas on what this thing is? Or is it safe to feed my beardies the super worms?

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
I believe thats just a cleaner beetle larvae, it should be entirely fine to feed the superworms. However make sure to not feed too many since superworms are quite fatty and should only be fed 4 max a day/every other day. Since they can cause fatty liver disease if given too many, you also risk the possibility of them refusing healthy foods such as crickets or roaches.

Make sure your beardies are over 6 months as well, since it could be a risk for impaction in a younger bearded.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Thank you so much. All my dragons are over a year. (I have three.) I offer each dragon three supers and four to five dubias a day. Along with collard, mustard and kale greens. I also spray the food and dust the supers with a calcium that was made by my herp vet. Thank you so much for your useful information. I really appreciate it.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Yes, bet they do indeed. Supers are what encouraged my rescue beardie Thor, who now eats like a horse. :D thankfully Thor is now happy &healthy despite his handicaps. My other two eats supers and Dubias like candy. Lol

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
HippieLizards":36gqeplc said:
Yes, bet they do indeed. Supers are what encouraged my rescue beardie Thor, who now eats like a horse. :D thankfully Thor is now happy &healthy despite his handicaps. My other two eats supers and Dubias like candy. Lol

i was referring to the fuzzy grubs ....

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
oh. oops. Lol. So what do i do with it? either way I am going to return the supers or get a refund. i bought fifty and there were only 41. :angry5:

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Yeah, they're perfectly fine, you don't need to throw them away, and you can feed the cleaner worm to your beardies, they love them!

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Oh. Ok. I feed mine Dubia roaches and superworms. But unfortunately I'm clear out of my small roaches and only have my massive breeder roaches, so I am currently stuck on feeding supers. But I did read somewhere on here you can cut the huge ones in half and feed them to your beardies. I just don't know if I'm up to cutting insects in half.

Thank you all for such useful beardie information. I am really grateful.

P.S: I was planning on putting the cleaner larvae in with my dubia roach colony. If that is ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
23parkera
Top Bottom