Still not eating greens

Status
Not open for further replies.
95477-3437799788.jpg
So sence I got Chester he has started pooing once a week (from once a month) , but I still can't get him to eat his greens . I offer them to him every day . I've even tried the force feeding him them or sneak them in when he is eating a worm and he will literally stop eating the worm to spit the greens out . Every now and again he will eat the greens that a hornworm has clung onto but that's pretty much it . I give him a mixture of a greens salad collard greens , squash , zucchini , kale , shredded carrot , even tried some fruits mixed in and nothing , I give him 2 hornworms every other day dipped in the repti calcium with D3 with his salads. Is there any thing else I can do to get him to eat his salad ?
95477-4544529854.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He's still looking pretty healthy. How has his weight been holding up? It sounds like he's still being stubborn which can be tough to fix. I would just keep offering the variety you have been and keep offering some by hand. Maybe withhold bugs for a while if his weight is stable and see if you can get him hungry enough to start getting used to the veges. It's kind of a tough balance when they aren't used to it and can take quite a bit of time and patience.

GonzosChester

Original Poster
I don't think he is loosing any weight , if any thing maybe gained a bit , he has been going through a shedding spell the last few weeks. I'll cut the worms from every other day to every third day and see how that goes , I just don't want to starve him ...

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He won't starve. Keeping close eye on his weight helps track that but he will eat the veges before starving (that's the plan anyway). I give bug meals about once per week for my adult. He gets treat worms inbetween as I have them but he mainly eats a wide variety of veges in his salads.

GonzosChester

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1gl2lohw said:
if you work to this viewtopic.php?f=18&t=236074 he'll be fine, simply gut load the insects with the greens you want the dragon to have and keep on offering the greens to the dragon daily even if he doesn't touch them.
I do gut load my super worms with greens and my horn worms get what ever that brown gooey stuff is that comes with them and the coating of vitamins and D3 when I feed them to Chester ... I did read that link once , before I got Chester so that's why I went ahead and started gut loading the supers when I started his super worm farm a few weeks before I got him , which that farm is thriving , I don't have to spend money on those , wish I had the room and money to farm the horn worms . I just figured Chester would be like so many other dragons I see on YouTube videos where they just go all kinds of crazy and eat their veggies right when their human puts the food in the enclosure lol ... I'll continue to offer the greens salad and see what's happens ...
95477-561576635.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I believe silkworms are a much more nutritious worm than either superworms or hornworms,
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=234999&p=1807834#p1807834

and they are dead easy to raise and do not require much space at all to go from eggs to worms to moths to eggs again , I use a 4.5L tub to raise up to 200 silkworms in.

I'm currently feeding silkworms to two adult bluetongues and on adult bearded dragon, was two adult dragons only my boy was taken suddenly by an undetected organ failure (believed a birth defect).
I hatch a couple hundred eggs every 3-4 weeks and am raising my silkworms on fresh mulberry leaves.

Superworms are only suitable to use as treats , never more then 2 - 3 per session , once or twice per week.
My staple insects for my big skinks and dragons have been silkworms and gutloaded crickets for nearly 8 years now.
My water skink's staples are crickets and mealworms (all life stages).

Some lizards are not at all keen on the green stuff or the veg, no harm in handfeeding some of salad stuff to your pet lizard inbetween those yummy worms .... I am doing this with Peppa my big girl beardie who happens to be spoilt rotten (as all my pet skinks and dragons always are - I'm a really well trained lizards' slave and handfeeding helps develop a great bond).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom