Help my male bearded dragon isn't looking good

Status
Not open for further replies.

RufusRage56

So I've had my beardie since April this year. Recently, he has started to abstain from eating food, he doesn't go under the heat lamp as much anymore, has lost weight and is tired all the time. My stepdad says that he might die, but I don't want to believe that. Is there a clear reason why my dragon is acting this way?

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Hes probably burmating, its basically like a reptile hibernation but they dont exactly go and sleep fully. Do you know the age of your beardie? Because around 8-9 months for a juvenile isnt unheard of for burmation though its more commonly around a year or more.

And of course the setup effects this as well. Can you please tell me about his setup, lighting, substrate/bedding if hes housed with anything, what size tank he has, how old he is and what you used to feed him daily (bugs and veggies), and what supplements your using.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The weight loss is concerning. Have you been keeping a log of his weight? Significant weight loss can indicate an underlying issue rather than brumation. While they can lose a bit of weight during brumation, their metabolism is slowed so much that it's usually minimal relative to their body weight.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Hello, welcome to the forum, and I'm so sorry this is happening...we can certainly try to help you, but we need a lot more information about him and his enclosure/lighting and just his set up in general.

Can you please post a current photo of him, and then one also of his entire enclosure/tank and then his lighting? You can do this by taking the photos on your phone, then go up top to the link that says "User Image Uploader" that is in the bar at the top of the website. Once you're there you have to upload each photo you want to post individually to your account, and then once you get them all uploaded, come back to this post and click on "Post A Reply" and the message box will pop up. The you just click on the "XIMG" button that is right above the message box, then you select the photo you want to insert and it will be inserted inside the message box wherever the cursor is.

First of all, how old is he? Did you buy him at a pet shop, like Petco or Petsmart? The reason I'm asking that is usually the babies they sell are around a month or so old, so that can help us figure out how old he is if you got him in April. How many inches long is he from the tip of his snout to the very end of his tail?

99.9% of the time when this happens, when they stop eating, become lethargic and sleep a lot, etc. it is due to the owner using a UVB light that is not strong enough or adequate for a Bearded Dragon, having improper temperature zones inside their tanks, and having their UVB light (which is usually improper to begin with) mounted improperly. What I mean by that is that usually people have very weak UVB lights that are not appropriate for a Bearded Dragon to begin with sitting on top of the mesh lid of the tank, which blocks around 40% of the UVB light emitted. Also, often they have the UVB light too far away from their dragon's basking spot, so basically their dragon has not been getting ANY UVB light at all since they got them. Also, most people who just start out with their first bearded dragon use those round, stick-on thermometers or a stick-on aquarium strip thermometer, instead of using either a Digital Probe Thermometer or an Infrared Temperature Gun. You cannon use a stick-on thermometer for a Bearded Dragon, #1) You cannot measure their Basking Spot Surface Temperature with any type of stick-on thermometer, it's impossible, they only measure the Ambient (air) temperatures, and then #2) All stick-on thermometers are very, very inaccurate, and when tested they are often off by between 10-20 degrees.

Bearded Dragons are not "beginner" reptiles as many people and websites say, they are no where near as easy to care for as some of the tropical reptiles, and this is because they are Desert Reptiles that require very specific lighting and temperature needs. Specifically, they must have at least 13-14 hours every single day of both a strong, adequate UVB tube and a bright-white colored Basking Bulb that puts their 3 temperature zones within the correct ranges. If you bought his equipment from a pet shop and were educated by a pet shop employee, or you bought one of those "Bearded Dragon Starter Kits", then it's very likely that the UVB light you have is totally inadequate, you're using a stick-on thermometer and have incorrect temperature zones, etc. Because of this, it's important that you try to be as specific as you can in telling us what lights you have, what type of thermometer you use, what the 3 temperature zones are inside his tank, etc. So try to answer these following questions as specifically as you can for us:

1.) What UVB light do you have? Try to list the brand name, the model, wattage, and strength, and what shape/type it is, meaning is it a Compact (regular lightbulb looking), a Coil (regular lightbulb looking but a spiral/twisted bulb), or a long flourescent tube that is at least 18" long and is housed inside the same length, long tube fixture?

2.) What type of Basking Bulb do you use, meaning is it just a regular lightbulb or is it a coil/spiral bulb? What color light does it emit (white, red, blue, yellow, etc.)? What is the wattage of your Basking bulb?

3.) How many hours do you leave both of these 2 lights on every day?

4.) Do you have any additional lights?

5.) Is your UVB light sitting on top of a mesh lid? Is it obstructed by anything else, such as a plastic cover on the fixture over the UVB tube itself (this usually only applies to a long tube)? How far away, in inches, is your UVb light from your dragon's Basking Spot/Platform? How old is your UVb light? Did you buy it in April when you got your dragon and not replaced it since?

6.) What do you use as a substrate in the bottom of his tank? Is it a loose substrate such as sand, crushed walnut shells, bark, etc. or is it a solid substrate such as tiles, shelf liners, newspaper, paper towels, reptile carpeting, etc.?

7.) What type of thermometer do you use to measure his temperatures inside his tank (stick-on, Digital Probe, or Gun)? How often do you check his temperatures?

8.) What are the Basking Spot Surface Temperature, the Hot Side Ambient (air) Temperature, and the Cool Side Ambient (air) Temperature?

9.) What type of live insects do you feed him? What size are they? How many do you feed him per day when he is eating normally? How many is he eating now?

10.) Do you give him a fresh salad of greens/veggies every day? If so, what types of greens/veggies do you feed him?

11.) Do you give him a Calcium Supplement? If so, which one and how do you give it to him (dust his live insects, sprinkle on salad, etc.)? How often per week do you give him Calcium?

12.) Do you give him a Multivitamin Supplement? If so, which one and how do you give it to him (dust his live insects, sprinkle on salad, etc.)? How often per week do you give him a Multivitamin?

13.) Do you feed him any "Commercially Sold" foods, such as pellets, freeze-dried insects, freeze-dried greens/veggies, etc.? If so, which ones and how often?

14.) Does he have a glass tank with a mesh lid, or does he have a wooden enclosure? What size is his tank/enclosure, either in gallons or the dimensions (length, width, height)?

Try to answer all of these questions as specifically and adequately as you can, and post the photos of him and his enclosure/lighting. ****YOU CAN USUALLY FIND ALL OF THE INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR UVB LIGHT AND YOUR BASKING BULB WRITTEN RIGHT ON THE BULBS THEMSELVES, IF YOU YOU DON'T STILL HAVE THE BOXES.****

Don't give up all hope yet, if his issues are in fact related to an improper UVB light, temperatures, etc., which they probably are, usually immediately getting him the correct lighting, temperatures, etc. will cause a positive result within 24 hours, that's how crucial proper UVB lighting and temperatures are to Bearded Dragons and all other Desert Reptiles.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
By the way, if you got him in April as a baby, he's probably only between 6-8 months old as of right now, and he's not brumating (hibernating), as babies and juveniles that young do not typically go into brumation. Plus, they don't lose weight while they are brumating, and this doesn't sound to me at all like brumation, but rather a lighting/temperature or other husbandry issue that needs to be corrected ASAP in order to save him.

If you got him in April as a baby, and now he's between 6-8 months old, and he's never had a proper UVb light or proper temperatures, etc., then this is right about the time that the improper lighting/temperatures/etc. all start catching up with them and they start to display outward signs of the nutritional deficiencies caused by these husbandry issues.

RufusRage56

Original Poster
I will find out the information about their vivarium soon.
My male, Bowie, was probably about 5 when we got him earlier this year. He shares the viv with a female dragon which I don't think is right. Their previous owner was very careless and would leave them without lighting for long periods of time.
I really do hope it's bruminating, and thus will leave it at that for now. I also spoke to my parents and my stepdad said that brumination is the most possible at the moment. They will be taking care of my dragons for the next week anyways, so I will see how it goes.
Thanks for all the advice.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Oh, 5 years old...can't tell you much without their husbandry/lighting info, which is crucial, but if you have 2 adults housed together you absolutely must separate them immediately!!! Usually what happens is one dragon will thrive, while the other dragon is completely dominated by the other, is completely stressed out, stops eating, etc. and eventually dies, or one day one of them attacks the other one out of nowhere and either kills them or severely injures them...and if it's a male and female, the female is typically dominated literally to death. They have no quality of life this way, and the female in with a male can be bred over and over and over again until they die. So yes, either separate them immediately and get 2 setups with 2 tanks, 2 UVB lights, 2 Basking Bulbs, 2 Digital Probe Thermometers, etc. and keep them either stacked on top of each other on a shelving unit so they can't see each other, or keep them in totally different rooms.

Dragons are solitary animals in the wild, only males and females ever come together only to mate, and then they separate immediately. Females lay their eggs and leave them, babies hatch and separate, they do not live together at all. So it's very, very stressful for them to be trapped inside a tank together. The dominant dragon will eat all the good bugs or all of the bugs and salad period, they hog all the best basking spots with the strongest UVb light and the best temperatures, and are constantly exerting their dominance over the submissive dragon, causing them to literally be stressed to death. So you either need to buy a second complete setup ASAP (you can use a large plastic tub until you can buy a second proper tank, but you'll still need a second set of lights, etc.) or rehome one of them. And always move the dragon that is the healthy, dominant dragon out of the current tank, typically if you move the submissive, sick dragon the relocation stress of moving them out of the tank they know will make them much, much worse.

You could still have serious lighting/husbandry issues causing her problems, or both of them problems, especially if your UVB lighting is inadequate or mounted incorrectly, but separating them immediately is not optional.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Can you post any pictures of him at all?
I am most concerned about his weight loss, that usually indicates infection or some other type
of illness. At the very least, I think you really should consider getting a fecal exam done, to be
sure he doesn't have worms or parasites.
Are his eyes sunken in, or his fat pads sunken?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom