Sperm plug? HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caesar52

My beardie Caesar pooped about three weeks ago. And out with it came what looked to be just remaining poop. After doing some research I’m fairly confident it is a sperm plug. He’s had one like this before but after I let him sit in some water it came off on its own the next day. For this, what I think is a sperm plug, I’ve given him multiple baths and for some reason it hasn’t budged. Any advice on how to get this out of him? He doesn’t seem irritated by it and he’s been pooping and acting normally. The only time he gets a little anxious has been when I’ve tried to use tweezers to gently nudge what I think is the sperm plug out of him. Any help is welcomed!

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
It's not a great photo, but I'm really concerned that this isn't a sperm plug but rather one of his hemipenes that prolapsed and has been sticking out, which would explain why it bothered him when you tried to pull it out and why it won't come off. It looks bigger than a sperm plug, and also looks like it has a black tip to it? That's what is alarming, because if it is one of his hemipenes and it has been sticking out for a while, it will dry up and become necrotic.

I'm not trying to scare you, but sperm plugs usually come right out/off, and that looks suspect to me...Can you post a better photo of it that is right-side-up and that shows his entire vent area so we can see it better? I hope I'm wrong, it may just be the photo...

Edit: I just reread that it's been like this for 3 weeks? Oh my, I'm almost confident now that I looked at the photo that it's one of his hemipenes, as you can see that it's come down from in his tail and popped out...I really hope I'm wrong, but if you could post a few photos of it, with his tail arched far over his back, one straight on like like and then one from above?

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Go to "User image uploader" up top and upload the photos to your account, then when posting your reply hit the "XIMG" button and select the photo...

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Wow, that really does look like one of his Hemipenes has prolapsed out...It looks too large and the wrong color to be a sperm plug, plus I've never once heard of a sperm plug hanging on for 3 weeks, they usually just pull out or wipe away in warm water.

Is it just the light in the photo, or is the end of it darker/black than the rest of it? Is it at all shriveling up/drying out? The only reason I'm not 100% sure it's a hemipenes is that after being out for 3 weeks I'd think it would have dried out by now and died. So if it's a sperm plug it's really stuck...My boy gets them all the time, and they are usually a dark brown/red color, not that large/thick, and pull right out. Have you tried just using a washcloth while he's in warm water to just wipe it away? If he acts like it hurts him when you try to wipe it off or pull it gently out then it's got to be one of his hemipenes.

Try this...mix 2 tablespoons of sugar into a container of cool water and soak the area in it for 10-15 minutes. You'll have to hold him in it to keep it submerged I'm sure, because the water needs to be cool to the touch, not at all warm or luke warm, but cool. This is the usual treatment for shrinking a prolapsed Hemipenes back up into their body, it usually starts shrinking up pretty directly after you take them out of the Cool Sugar Water soak. If this works then it's a prolapsed Hemipenes, if not then he's got one hell of a stuck sperm plug, but I can't imagine that's a sperm plug.

Second Opinions?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think you may be right. I've never seen this happen before though. Giving the sugar water soak a try is probably worthwhile.

Caesar52

Original Poster
Went to the vet today. Luckily ended up just being a sperm plug. Thanks for all the advice and concern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom