Ordered "used-like new" habitat decor-- health risk?

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

Ordered "used-like new" habitat decor-- health risk?

Postby karlys » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:43 pm

Hello,

I ordered a magnetic ledge off of Amazon and went for the used- like new one because of the discounted price, without too much thought. It's set to arrive today but I was suddenly thinking about the fact that it could harbor something like yellow fungus or a parasite. You just never know. I believe it's made out of foam so putting it in the oven isn't a good idea but I do have a steamer and pure ammonia. What would you do? Should I just return it?
karlys
Newbie Poster

Re: Ordered "used-like new" habitat decor-- health risk?

Postby karlys » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:15 pm

So, yeah, it's definitely foam. Polyurethane foam resin.
karlys
Newbie Poster

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:01 pm

Bin it , you'll never be able to properly sterilize it and you do not know what deseases or parasites the previous reptile who had it in it's viv had or even if it died from it.

I wouldn't trust it even after a thorough drenching with 1:125 F10.

I'd say that's money down the drain.
CBDs: Puff (RIP 10Dec2015 @ 3.2 yrs old (aneurism)),Rex (RIP 16Mar2017 @ 4.6 yrs old,Toothless(sudden unexplained death RIP 26Nov2017) @ 2.1 yrs old.Peppa (born 15Nov2015).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born 9/2010).
EWSs : Lucky (wild juvenile), cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.Wriggles (rescued injured),thought she was a big lizard, 7-8 yrs old, died in her sleep, RIP 2Feb2016). Fluffy rescued 14Nov2017 about 4 yrs old .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Addict

Postby CooperDragon » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:35 am

Yeah I agree. I have one of those and the foam is fairly porous and starts falling apart a bit after a while. I sanitize it with F10 but I wouldn't trust that getting into all of the crevices enough to risk it if it's one that has been used by another dragon. The upside is that the magnets are coated in plastic and really strong. They work great on the fridge.
CooperDragon
BD.org Sicko

Return to Health