Possible URI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve had a thread on here before and had some mixed answers. Some said it is a possible ri and one person assured me it was normal as their beardie has done it too. I believe the person who told me but I’m just a worried new beardie owner. The previous owners told me it was normal but he had a really small uv light that was mounted above the tank “5.0 t8 18 inch” and I recently upgraded him to a reprisun 10.0 and mounted it inside. I would like to advoid a vet visit since it can be pretty costly and I don’t want to stress the lizard out anymore than it is being in a new environment but if it’s necessary I will. Anyway here are the videos.
https://youtu.be/UYZBUruY_2g https://youtu.be/svsoPNlgOWE
He does tend to do it quite often throughout the day. He is almost 3 years old, I haven’t noticed any mucus or leakage out of his eyes or nose. His temps are normal and his eating is fine. Thank you. Ps. Video is quiet so turn up volume

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
That's a weird one if he's doing it all the time. Any other signs or symptoms of illness, like him being lethargic and not moving or sleeping a lot? Lack of appetite? Black Beard?

If you hear him at all cough, wheeze when he breaths, or if you see a lot of excess mucous like thick strings of mucous when he opens his mouth or any mucous dripping from his mouth or nostrils, these are the classic signs of an URI and then you must take him to an experienced reptile vet because the only thing that will help is having a culture taken to diagnose the bacteria, fungus, or both causing the infection and determining the proper antibiotic, antifungal, or both that will treat it. Dragons often get URI's that are caused by both a bacteria and a fungi, and a lot of vets refuse to do cultures and just put them on a broad-spectrum antibiotic and that's it, and they don't get better, because they also need an antifungal med. So if you see/hear him start coughing or wheezing please take him ASAP.

FYI, a lot of dragons do adjust their beards from time to time, which usually looks like the second video, but it's not a constant thing. The first video almost looked like he was "head bobbing", which is a dominant behavior they exhibit around other dragons. I'd say if both of those behaviors continue or are constant for more than a week or two with the absence of any of the other symptoms then I'd take him anyway.

Heroicchip

Original Poster
Thanks for the info I’ll keep an eye out for those symptoms but have not noticed them yet. He doesn’t do it all the time I have noticed it in his sleep the other night which kinda scared me. He only seems to do it if I open the cage or going to pick him up or when he’s scratching on his cage etc, so could it possibly be a stress thing ? Im a new beardie owner “ pretty obvious” and I’m just really worried

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom