breeding questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

monny1369

so I have a question for breeding, I noticed my female was digging, so I got her a male, dont worry i did tons of research and stuff everything went smooth she has healthy weigh diet etc. but here are the things I would like some help with.
1. Can the eggs be fertilized after they have been formed? because I am pretty sure she already had small eggs when he did it
2. How long do you have to wait to breed her again after she lays her eggs? thanks

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I can't help you with much on breeding, but no, eggs can absolutely not be fertilized after they have been laid. So if you're sure that the eggs she has laid are not fertile then they will not every be fertile.

Just an FYI to you, you do not need to "get your female a male" and breed her just because she is laying infertile eggs and is "digging in her tank", she doesn't want to be bred, she just wants to have a laybox with damp sand to lay her eggs comfortably. Do not breed dragons unless you know what you are doing and you want to breed them yourself. And I'm sure you know that the market is absolutely flooded with baby bearded dragons everywhere, in pet shops, online, everywhere, and unless you're breeding some very expensive morphs or colors you're not going to make any money breeding normal bearded dragons, nor do we need more babies. I suggest that you check Craigslist to see how many bearded dragons need homes across the country, there are literally thousands of them that people are trying to rehome, and thousands of people who bred babies to try to make money and they can't unload them. And bearded dragons are solitary animals and should not ever be housed together, only multiple females can be housed together successfully and even this usually ends in domination and violent aggression. You cannot house 2 males or a male and a female together (I certainly hope you are keeping your male and female separate in 2 separate enclosures, otherwise the male will breed her literally to death, or they will kill each other, guaranteed, they should only come together for short periods of time to mate and must be supervised the entire time). So if you breed them you could potentially end up with literally dozens and dozens of babies that you cannot sell...can you afford or for that matter do you have space to buy each one a complete setup?

I'm not trying to lecture you at all or be harsh, but you said "don't worry, I did lots of research first", yet I'm sorry, not to be rude, but simply asking the questions you just asked proves that you don't know nearly enough to breed dragons. Again I'm sorry I don't mean to offend you or criticize you, but if you take a look at Craigslist and go to "Community, Services, Pets" and then type "bearded dragon" into the search bar, you'll see why no one should be breeding normal baby bearded dragons at all...and that's only Craigslist, that doesn't account for the thousands of normal babies across the country in all the Petco's and PetSmart's, which sell normal babies for $40! You'll never make a profit if you're buying adequate amounts of live insects to feed multiple babies every day, not to mention the multiple lights, supplements, etc...so be smart about this please....

monny1369

Original Poster
I did not mean when the eggs are out of the female, i meant after they started developing, I already have a spot to sell them to, the place is willing to buy them. I dont have craiglist Im canadian, for us it is kijiji, and I do have a really expensive morph, I have citrus flames, they high yellow with a deep red beard. Trust me, I spent a lot of time on research but some questions can only be answered by somebody with experience

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's good that you have somewhere to sell them in Canada. As Ellen said the U'S market is flooded. If the eggs are developed so much that she's ready to lay them, they have very little chance of being fertilized, probably zero. If it's at a stage much sooner than that when they are follicles then they should become fertile if the male does his part. Some people believe that a dragon that is bred is less likely to become eggbound than one that is not bred . None of mine ever became eggbound + they laid their eggs with ease compared to some of the ones on the forums that have trouble laying infertile eggs.

You can put him with her about a week after she lays her eggs, that gives her time to recupe + gain weight + calcium levels. She will be developing another batch of eggs at that time. If he already mated with her she can retain the sperm and produce fertile clutches even if this first one is infertile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom