UVB Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bmac60

Original Poster
My light is a 10.0 t5. There is a bar that goes on top of the screen so I couldn't put one long on on top. There are two 12' inch ones side by side separated by the bar.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Basically all T8's have to be mounted inside, along with T5 5.0's. While T5 10.0's can safely be mounted on top. The reason this is, is because the other lights, t8 10.0, t5 5.0 are not strong enough to go through the mesh while the t5 10.0's can.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't usually see 12'' T5s. It's fine to use them side by side. Are you using it in a fixture that has a reflector? If you are, then it can sit on top but if it's shining through the mesh I'd bring the basking area to within about 10'' of it. Those tops have a pretty fine mesh that intercepts lots of UVB. If it's not going through a mesh top then 12'' above the basking area is about right with a reflector. Without a reflector, the effective distance is much closer. Probably more like 8''. It's usually best to use a reflector to direct as much UVB downward as possible and make the most out of your bulbs.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's a shiny curved piece of metal that sits behind the bulb (included in some fixtures) and redirects the light downward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom