Does having a screen block uvb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay first off here is my setup for a baby beardie.
Tank: 20 gallon long
Heat source: Haven't bought it yet (dragon will be here next week), but more than likely will be a 75 watt
UVB bulb: Repti sun T5 10.0 24 inches

The breeder said that we shouldn't use a screen because it doesn't allow the dragon to receive all of the uvb. But, on different websites and on my vets manual it says a screen is fine. I'm just curious as to which is the right answer. I would hate to do it wrong.

Also, they said all you need in the tank is a basking spot (they said to use large water bowl turned over)?
Is this true?

Akire

From what I've read the Reptisun T5 10.0 can be on top of the screen as long as the basking spot is within 6 to 10 inches of the screen and you are using a reflector. I use the Reptisun T5 HO hood for my bulb because it has a reflector. It sits on a screen and I've had no issues.

You will want more than just a basking spot in his enclosure. You need a hide on the cool end. I personally use a big branch for a basking spot because I like that they can move up and down the branch. My boy will be higher on the branch when he wants to be warmer and lower when he's content.

You will want a good digital thermometer with probe (or use a temperature gun) and hygrometer to make sure it's not too humid or dry (30%- 40% is good). I have a hammock on the warm end that my boy likes to sit on sometimes. Don't use Zoo Med (green mesh one) though, they have reportedly caused injuries from beardies getting their toenails stuck.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Actually, a T5 (high output) bulb is strong enough to go through the screen if the fixture has a reflector. The distance of the T5 should be at least 10" from your basking beardie. So you will need a basking branch or log to get your beardie to that distance from the bulb.

If you had a T8 bulb, that one is weaker and would need to be mounted inside of the tank at a distance of about 6 to 8" from your beardie.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
diamc":14g7ipue said:
Actually, a T5 (high output) bulb is strong enough to go through the screen if the fixture has a reflector. The distance of the T5 should be at least 10" from your basking beardie. So you will need a basking branch or log to get your beardie to that distance from the bulb.

<<< I would not put even a t5ho 12%uvb tube in a reflector hood on top of a mesh lid unless the mesh is something like 5mm chicken mesh. Even 5mm mesh will block 30% of the UV.

See for why : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611

If you had a T8 bulb, that one is weaker and would need to be mounted inside of the tank at a distance of about 6 to 8" from your beardie.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
kingofnobbys":2va3laf4 said:
diamc":2va3laf4 said:

<<< I would not put even a t5ho 12%uvb tube in a reflector hood on top of a mesh lid unless the mesh is something like 5mm chicken mesh. Even 5mm mesh will block 30% of the UV.

See for why : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611

With my T5 HO 12% Arcadia bulbs, I get a VERY good UVI reading using my Solar Meter through the screen and it is not chicken mesh. Also get a good UVI reading with the T5 HO Repti-Sun so that is why I recommend it going through the screen as long as there is a built in reflector.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree, and it also makes a difference if the screen is flyscreen like a chameleon cage is made of [ blocks more ] or a screen with larger holes that some of the tanks have which blocks much less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom