Zilla 50 uvb t8 strip light

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris101

Hellooo
I just recently bought a Zilla 24 inch desert fixture and i was wondering about the bulb. The 50 UVB T8 fluorescent strip comes with the fixture and I was wondering if the bulb is any good. I've already ordered a Reptisun 10.0 UVB bulb, but just wondered if the zilla bulb could still be used and not go to waste. I've heard mixed reviews about it, both good and bad and heard that most bulbs that had caused eye problems and bone deficiency had been recalled in September 2017 and replaced with "better ones". If it is still bad, what a shame i still have the Reptisun. Also, the Reptisun i bought is the standard 10.0, 24" 17 Watt T8. I was concerned about the wattage not being enough. I will be moving my juvenile beardie to a 40 gallon soon (probably going to divide it so he doesnt get too scared) but will the wattage be enough for a tank that big? Should i get the Reptisun 10.0 T5 High output 54 watt next time? Any replies are helpful thank you

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've used the Zilla Desert 50 bulbs without a problem but I've heard mixed things as you have. Just be sure to remove the clear plastic from in front of the bulb if it's there (I know the 18'' version does) because it will intercept the UVB. The T8 will still have an optimal distance between about 6-8''. I would move to the more powerful T5 when you get a bigger tank. The 22'' bulb (24'' fixture) will work well and has an optimal output at around 12-14'' (a little closer if it's shining through a screen top).

chris101

Original Poster
Alright, good to hear ill try it and see if my beardie has any eye issues, i will upgrade to the T5 after the bulbs run out, thanks for the reply :) very helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom