Bearded dragon eye problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwayne8

So my bearded dragon has had a eye problem ever since I got him about 3 or 4 months ago! He either scratched it or got bit in it by my other dragon! His inner eye lid is swollen with a little bump! I took him to the vet and she stained his eye and said that it wasn’t scratched or infected and it was just swelling! Well she prescribed Neomycin and polymyxin B sulfates and dexamethasone Ophthalmic ointment USP which is a antibiotic/anti-inflammatory/steroid oitment! Well it seemed to be working but now it’s back to being swollen more!? I just had a wedding and don’t have the money to take him back for it not to fix the problem again which I payed 125 the first time! Any one know what else I can do or what else I can use!??? Hellllppp please! He is growing fine and she said there was nothing wrong with him internally! He still eats fine and does everything a normal bearded dragon does!
I’m gonna post some pics of when it started and tell me if it looks like there’s shed stuck in there!
93957-776044126.jpg
93957-8830052553.jpg
93957-9368674201.jpg
93957-9802445014.jpg
Beardies eye as of now
93957-2237671428.jpg
93957-6339828689.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor little one, so it's been swollen since you initially got him?
How long did he receive the eye drop treatment for? I would continue them for awhile longer.
It is possible there could be some type of growth on the inner eye lid.
You could try getting some raw, unpasteurized honey or manuka honey, diluted & warmed up
& while using a swab gently get some onto the eye lid. It is an antimicrobial agent so perhaps
it might help out a little bit, no sure.
If the swelling doesn't go down, eventually, I would recommend going back to the vet or to a
new vet that knows a little more about reptiles for another check on the eye lid.
Is he eating well?
What is your UVB lighting consist of, what type/brand are you using?

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
polymyxin B sulfates:
This medication is used to treat bacterial infections (such as blepharitis, conjunctivitis) of the eye. It contains 2 antibiotics.
Polymyxin B works by killing the bacteria.
Trimethoprim works by stopping the growth of the bacteria.

Neomycin is an aminoglycoside antibiotic.

Dexamethasone is a type of corticosteroid medication.

All up very broad spectrum ANTIBIOTICS , worthless in treating viral conjunctivitis and fungal conjunctivitis. I think it's most like viral, but may be fungal which means the antibiotics which are wet will not be helping. Especially if this has obviously been going on for several weeks.

A swab should have been taken and tested rather than taking a shot in the dark and grabbing a fist full of antibiotics which have obviously NOT WORKED.

I'd find a new vet , perhaps one who is experienced with reptiles and is competent.

Jwayne8

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1o4a87e8 said:
polymyxin B sulfates:
This medication is used to treat bacterial infections (such as blepharitis, conjunctivitis) of the eye. It contains 2 antibiotics.
Polymyxin B works by killing the bacteria.
Trimethoprim works by stopping the growth of the bacteria.

Neomycin is an aminoglycoside antibiotic.

Dexamethasone is a type of corticosteroid medication.

All up very broad spectrum ANTIBIOTICS , worthless in treating viral conjunctivitis and fungal conjunctivitis. I think it's most like viral, but may be fungal which means the antibiotics which are wet will not be helping. Especially if this has obviously been going on for several weeks.

A swab should have been taken and tested rather than taking a shot in the dark and grabbing a fist full of antibiotics which have obviously NOT WORKED.

I'd find a new vet , perhaps one who is experienced with reptiles and is competent.

When I was starting to use this medicine the swelling went down a lot then I missed a day cause I was out of town for a day and then the swelling came back!

Jwayne8

Original Poster
Drache613":25zp1kgz said:
Hello,

Poor little one, so it's been swollen since you initially got him?
How long did he receive the eye drop treatment for? I would continue them for awhile longer.
It is possible there could be some type of growth on the inner eye lid.
You could try getting some raw, unpasteurized honey or manuka honey, diluted & warmed up
& while using a swab gently get some onto the eye lid. It is an antimicrobial agent so perhaps
it might help out a little bit, no sure.
If the swelling doesn't go down, eventually, I would recommend going back to the vet or to a
new vet that knows a little more about reptiles for another check on the eye lid.
Is he eating well?
What is your UVB lighting consist of, what type/brand are you using?

Tracie

He eats about 3 big dubia roaches a day!
I don’t have the money to take him back right now so idk what to do!
And I’m using a zoo med 10.0 t5 bulb tube

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It does look like something more serious may be going on with the eye which will require further testing/treatment from a vet. If your budget doesn't allow another vet visit at the moment, I would at least try the manuka honey (or raw/unpasteurized honey) over the eye for a while and see if it helps. It won't fix every situation but is an economical and worthwhile thing to try.

Jwayne8

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1oxhri2k said:
It does look like something more serious may be going on with the eye which will require further testing/treatment from a vet. If your budget doesn't allow another vet visit at the moment, I would at least try the manuka honey (or raw/unpasteurized honey) over the eye for a while and see if it helps. It won't fix every situation but is an economical and worthwhile thing to try.

Will this work?
93957-9326712200.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah that should do the trick. It says it's raw so it should be unpasteurized which will keep the good stuff with it.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Jwayne8":103bxina said:
kingofnobbys":103bxina said:

And did it work on something similar to this?

I used it on Lucky's injured eye and lower jaw , on advice from the vet .... these were penetrating cat fang / claw injuries. He lost the eye , but the vet thought it was gone when I rescued him and he saw him the very next day.

I used it on George's head bite injury with betadine.

I used it on Wriggles' lacerated (by a whipper snipper cord) back when I rescued her after she curiousity got her into trouble and hurt accidentially by the kid I was paying to mow my lawn at the time.

I used it on Puff's swollen eye and swollen lips.

In all cases it helped.

Jwayne8

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":xnhj4aog said:
Jwayne8":xnhj4aog said:
kingofnobbys":xnhj4aog said:

And did it work on something similar to this?

I used it on Lucky's injured eye and lower jaw , on advice from the vet .... these were penetrating cat fang / claw injuries. He lost the eye , but the vet thought it was gone when I rescued him and he saw him the very next day.

I used it on George's head bite injury with betadine.

I used it on Wriggles' lacerated (by a whipper snipper cord) back when I rescued her after she curiousity got her into trouble and hurt accidentially by the kid I was paying to mow my lawn at the time.

I used it on Puff's swollen eye and swollen lips.

In all cases it helped.

Do you think it could be a abscess?
I have the advicon manuka honey tom that I’m going to start putting on there!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

If it doesn't clear up pretty soon, it may be an abscess which would need to be looked at by a
vet. Has it gotten any better thus far?
Maybe the honey will help out, but you will need to use it on a daily basis right now.
How is he eating?
Let us know how the treatment goes for him.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom