Baby dragon possible MBD please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my little baby girl about a week ago and until recently she hadn't ate too much. I gave her semi regular baths to keep her hydrated because I hadn't seen her drinking from the bowl. The problem is just today I started feeding her crickets but I hadn't dusted them cause I knew she would be hungry so I rushed to get her food. After a while I decided to take her out to clean the tank and not too long ago while holding her, her head started to vibrate and shake, then it was her whole body. I sat her under her light and it seemed to have stopped. She's sleeping now but I'm afraid of this getting worse.

Not sure if any of this information is useful but she's in a 10 gallon tank with a 13w uvb, she has a tree stump like decoration that she sits on to bask in the light. She also only managed to eat about 4 crickets.

I do have the calcium and vitamins witch I plan on giving her in the morning when she wakes but some advice would be very appreciated.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. The uvb is not efficient. You want a 10.0 t5. Also a ten gallon is way to small. You can't get the proper temp gradient. He needs calcium 5x a week. Also make sure the crickets are no bigger than the space between the eyes.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
In addition to buying an adequate UVB tube and fixture, do you have a basking light for him? You only mentioned the inadequate UVB light, but you no basking light. He needs a bright white basking bulb that gets his tank to the appropriate basking spot and ambient temps as well as a 10.0 T8 or T5 UVB tube...The UVB lights don't put off heat and UVA light, unless you have a mercury vapor bulb, which is an all-in-one bulb, but I doubt that because the 13 watt UVB bulb is not an all-in-one bulb...

Itslikeart

Original Poster
I just got a basking light for her and dusted her crickets but she hasn't seem to have eaten anything, I removed them so they don't bother her. The crickets are adequate size as they are fairly small but no I've found her trying to sleep during the day.

Thank you for the tips on lights, I'll try to get her a Uvb as soon as possible.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
The lack of adequate UVB light is a problem, the UVB light is the most important item you will ever buy for your beardie. Their appetite, absorbtion of nutrition and Calcium, and her being able to manufacture vitamin D3 is dependent on it. Without it she will not be absorbing any of the Calcium you're giving her, none of the Multivitamins you're giving her, etc. Right now is the most important time she needs the correct UVB light because she is growing rapidly, and without it she will not grow properly and be stunted, and develop a Calcium deficiency and MBD. So yes, she needs a Reptisun 10.0 (not 5.0) T8 or T5 High-Output UVB tube, 28" or 24" and matching fixture, and depending on which one you buy it could need to be mounted under the mesh lid. They also need replaced every 6 months to once a year depending on which one you buy. Please buy it and get it mounted correctly, which we can help you with, ASAP.

Itslikeart

Original Poster
Will definitely look into a new tank and sufficient uvb, hopefully today if not worst case it will have to be tomorrow.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great, I hope you are able to get a new UVB light, soon so it will help out her health more
with UVB exposure. She is likely starting to have some calcium issues.
Be sure that the crickets are smaller than the space between her eyes too, for avoiding
impaction trouble.
Post some pictures of her also, so we can see her overall condition. Also, they do go through
relocation stress when they come into a new home & that can affect their overall appetite,
too. It can take a week or longer for them to become accustomed to a new home.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
These will help you choose a better UVB and set up the UV and thermal gradients :
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611 .... aim for about 190 microW UVB / sq.cm @ the basking spot.
and
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=234738&p=1806050#p1806050 shows an excellent guide on how to set up the viv's lights , and you'll see a list of brands of UV lighting TO AVOID, and a lot of handy tips (gleened from experience and very common problems many noobs discover they have as a consequence of the incompetency of petshop staff and bad advise given by sellers and even some incompetent (but money hungry) breeders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom