Eye closed and wont open?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neonprint

My beardie has been fine all day, both eyes were working all day, I went to give him his dinner and his one eye is shut and he will not open it? I have no clue why, I don't see any gunk, check his nose, all clear, check in his ears. Check to see his vent. Idk what to do since his eye was fine earlier today, did he maybe accidently scratch it or get something in it? what should I do I wont be able to bring him to the vet for two weeks and thats way to long. I'm hoping this is a simple fix
Thankyou

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What type & brand of UVB lighting are you using? Is it a compact/coil light, or a long, fluorescent
tube bulb? Are you using a bright white light, for basking also?
Please post pictures of your tank setup for us also, that can really help us see if anything isn't set
up correctly.
This just started today?
What type of substrate are you using?

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I'm betting he's somehow got some dirt in his eye and it's very irritated , if there is no crust or puss present he'll likely be fine tomorrow .

If not , this a job for a vet with a jeweler's loop and headlamp and a eyewash bottle and a very steady hand. Don't go trying to poke about his eyeball , eyeballs are very delicate and easy to seriously injure.

Mysty

Juvie Member
If he's otherwise well its ok to wait to see if the problem resolves itself. Don't touch the area.

Neonprint

Original Poster
I have a compact reptisun 10.0 not the tube because I was waiting to get the big long one for his tank upgrade, once I find and a get a stand that fits the 44 gallon tank. which I was going to do in the next two week, have to wait for paycheck, I have read that the reptisun can damage eyes because its so bright. He is on paper towels, I have his uvb light off, I was told they could a week or two without uvb, but I regularly bring him outside to have access to natural sunlight, so I'll just try and do that everyday Until I can get everything fixed. and there still is no pus or wateryness coming from his eye today, he just has it closed.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Is it the 13W or the 26W version ?

How is it mounted ?

See viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611 for a comparison of the amount of UVA at different distances from compacts and T8 and T5HO tubes with and without reflectors.
And see viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235210&p=1809330#p1809330 for the effect mesh lids of different mesh sizes.
And see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=234738&p=1806050#p1806050 for a guide for setting up the thermal gradient, lighting and UV gradient in a beardie's viv and FOR BRANDS TO AVOID BUYING (as they will harm your beardie's eyes !).

The compact you are using is a very good quality brand , so it is not likely the cause of the problem unless the beardie is literally wearing the dome and globe for a hat !

Neonprint

Original Poster
its 13 inch away from his basking log, but update, he opened his eye for a breif moment and there was a little crusty in the the corner and then he closed it again, He ate a little this morning, but has not pooped yet, he has never not pooped regularly, is it because he didnt eat anything yesterday?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Neonprint":3vlxalvp said:
its 13 inch away from his basking log, but update, he opened his eye for a breif moment and there was a little crusty in the the corner and then he closed it again, He ate a little this morning, but has not pooped yet, he has never not pooped regularly, is it because he didnt eat anything yesterday?

Well , if it's a compact UVB globe , even if it were a very good compact UVB like a 26W UVB200 in a reflector (nano) hood mounted under the lid , at 13 inches from the basking spot, IT"S TOO FAR AWAY to be any benefit to her and she's only getting about 70 microW UVB / sq.cm , which is about 1/3 the amount she needs to be healthy, and similar for the UVA.
See : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611 for more information.
and if the compact is on top the mesh lid, the intensity of UVA & UVB will be reduced by up 40% (ie she's seeing very little UVB at the basking spot , about 40 microW UVB / sq.cm so will be struggling to produce vitD3 and to metabolize her dietary calcium and she risks developing MBD and serious neurological problems due to lack of UVA.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
kingofnobbys":mpkwrcvc said:
Neonprint":mpkwrcvc said:

Well , if it's a compact UVB globe , even if it were a very good compact UVB like a 26W UVB200 in a reflector (nano) hood mounted under the lid , at 13 inches from the basking spot, IT"S TOO FAR AWAY to be any benefit to her and she's only getting about 70 microW UVB / sq.cm , which is about 1/3 the amount she needs to be healthy, and similar for the UVA.
See : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611 for more information.
and if the compact is on top the mesh lid, the intensity of UVA & UVB will be reduced by up 40% (ie she's seeing very little UVB at the basking spot , about 40 microW UVB / sq.cm so will be struggling to produce vitD3 and to metabolize her dietary calcium and she risks developing MBD and serious neurological problems due to lack of UVA.

This is true. I had a baby chameleon that i lost a few months ago because of this. First, UVB i had compact reptisun 10.0 then later got the linear bulb by i think it was by zilla? who knows the owner of the reptile store just wanted to sell his chameleon + getting rid of his supplies and i had a ton of questions he says dont worry you will be fine. Right well it wasnt because all the advice he has given me , one month later poor baby chameleon past away. I know chameleons and beardies are slightly different but still they are reptiles and i personally believe getting the right type of light is CRUCIAL to their well being. Had the reptisun 10.0 compact flash, then he closed his eye then after he started to have these panic attacks in his screen cage, climbing up and then to make matters worse he almost fell from his 36" height branch. He didnt have MBD but he did have neurological problems, a compact flash with a 36" inch height enclosure really bad.

Its superiorly important to make sure to get right type of lighting, just wanted to share my experience as i never want to see that or experience that ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom