Baby beardie not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.
About one month ago, I purchased a baby bearded dragon I think he is around 8-9 weeks. My adult male has passed away so I have some experience with bearded dragons. During the past couple of weeks, he has not really ate that well. At first he was eating a few crickets a day but now he may eat only one or two. I am also providing him with a bowl of spinach, turnip greens, and shredded carrots. I am also misting the food down. He just has no interest in his crickets. I am providing him 2 - 3 wax worms a day just to help put some weight on. For the most part he will eat those. He has a double some with 75 wt UVA light and UVB light. I use a temp gun to measure his basking area (staying around 105°) & his cool spot (staying around 80°) but he never relaxes in his cool side. I also have a zilla thermometer and humidity gage (showing 40%). Rex is on carpet substrate. I am currently soaking him for 10-15 mins everyday to help with shedding. His head was the first to shed and now his back legs are shedding. I will try to provide a pic of Rex's setup. Can anyone give me some ideas on why my baby isn't eating? I've raised 2 children and am having more trouble with a beardie!! Lol

Beardielovingfamily

Original Poster
Here is a pic of Rex. I am sure he has grown some but very little. The white in his driftwood is the calcium from the crickets. Also, he was eating some of his greens but he is now not eating much of them.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. I would replace the uvb with a t5 Reptisun 10.0. Those coil/_compacts don't put of the proper amount of uvb. They have also been known to cause appetite, lethargy and eye issues.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I concur with the need for a better UV source .

It's unlikely even if you are using a 26W UVB200 that in a full sized viv (4ft L x 2ft W x 2ft T) that he's getting enough UVA exposure to promote a strong appetite , or enough UVB exposure to properly metabolise any dietary calcium it's getting with it's food.
In the meantime til you can buy a T5HO reflector hood + a T5HO 10-12%UVB tube , I suggest providing a UV basking spot closer to the existing UVB globe , if the globe is a 13W replace with a 26W UVB200 (these are very good compacts).

I use 26W UVB200 globes in Nanohoods , positioned so they are within 8 inches of my beardies' basking spots , this works well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom