Help my bearded dragon!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyBearded

Hi this is the first question here.

I got my bearded dragon about 3 weeks ago.

He used to eat a lot of crickets(about crickets per day)

But recently he just eats 6 crickets(or some silky worms) he is about 3~4 month old

I have the Powersun and Exo-terra Sand mat and set the temperature properly based on the guide line.
I also dust Repcal calcium and multi vitamin.

He poops regularly and his looks healthy.

Actually he does not eat veggies a lot... but does eat a little.

could u please help me

PrettyinPurple

Hatchling Member
It's actually normal for younger bearded dragons to not eat veggies, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. Keep offering them and they'll eventually get used to them and eat them as they get older.
What UVB are you using? Lack of or incorrect UVB can easily affect a beardie's eating patterns and digestion.
Are they getting ready to shed? This can irritate them sometimes and not make them as hungry for a little.
Maybe their thirsty? Also, I know you said the heat was set up properly but what are the temperature zones? If they're not warm enough sometimes they don't digest things as quickly.

MyBearded

Original Poster
As I mentioned, I have the Power sun, which emits UVB, UVA, and heat, and I know the Power sun is a proper UVB source.

The temperature is 27C(cool zone) 38C(Basking zone)

I can pretty be sure that his basking zone is hot enough

because when he is in the hot zone, he often opens his mounth, which means his body temperature is a bit high.

And he is not nsheeding :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What are you using to measure the temperatures, a digital probe type of thermometer or a temp gun?
The temperatures sound fine, as long as they are being measured correctly. What sized tank are
you keeping him in?
The Powersun is an ok bulb, it does emit UVB along with UVA & heat. How close is it to him & what
wattage is it?
Is he possibly getting ready to shed?
Sometimes they do vary the amounts that they eat, especially if they are getting ready to shed.

Tracie

MyBearded

Original Poster
Hi

His terrarium is 40 gallon (90 45 45) and the power sun is 100 wattage.

His basking zone is 9 inches away from the bulb.

I'm using the Exo terra digital thermometer

And I think he is not getting ready to shed beause he shedded about 1week ago.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
you mentioned silkworms .... how big are they ?

A medium sized silkworm will be about 2in long and is a lot of protein cf a medium sized cricket
A 30mm long silkworm is 0.5g = 2-3 medium crickets (12x MED = 3g)
A 40mm long silkworm is 1.3g = 5-6 medium crickets
a 2 inch long silkworm is 1.8g
a large silkworm about 3in is 2.3g = 8 - 10 medium crickets

Wthout undermining anything posted above, I would just like to mention that as long as he is still getting some food in and supplements, then as long as his weight continues to go up and does not stall out for a long period or start to decline then he is fine. From my experience their appetite can fluctuate due to numerous factors, ranging from relocation, new viv furniture, change in food, temps, mood. These are very finnicky creatures who enjoy their routine and seem to enjoy causing worry amongst new owners (myself included). For reference, my beardie has had the exact same fluctuations many times, yet he is now 19 inches long and 405 grams and counting, at 8 months old. Fit as a fiddle.

MyBearded

Original Poster
Thank everyone.

He finally ate about 20 crickets and some worms today.

I think he was just full or for somereasons just didn't eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom