WaxWorms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hi Everyone,

I gave my beardie some waxworms the other day for being so good and also trying to vary up his diet. I am curious what is a good reasonable amount to give him since these are more classified as "treats". When i first gave them to him, he just waited for more :lol:

I got the 50ct from Petco so im wondering how many days i should give him? Thanks :D

LewisBD

Hatchling Member
Reptilelady":1fhw2o3b said:
Hi Everyone,

I gave my beardie some waxworms the other day for being so good and also trying to vary up his diet. I am curious what is a good reasonable amount to give him since these are more classified as "treats". When i first gave them to him, he just waited for more :lol:

I got the 50ct from Petco so im wondering how many days i should give him? Thanks :D

Hi! SInce they're fattening, I only recommend 2 once a week, maybe even less. They're not the healthiest things and you don't want to use them as a staple feeder for your beardie.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
OMG really? The petstore said every other day should be alright. LOL :lol: You really have to double check everything. Well he has had idk like 15 or so. Is he done for the week now? Also, since i gave him those worms he's not really excited to eat crickets. Is it because he is full or just spoiled now?

LewisBD

Hatchling Member
Reptilelady":3pdxcnxw said:
OMG really? The petstore said every other day should be alright. LOL :lol: You really have to double check everything. Well he has had idk like 15 or so. Is he done for the week now? Also, since i gave him those worms he's not really excited to eat crickets. Is it because he is full or just spoiled now?

Oh my, lol that's a lot. More like finished for a month and a half. Too many waxworms and they don't want anything else

neilkd21

Hatchling Member
Yeah they should be used only occasionally as a treat if at all. We once gave 3 to our cheeky one day and he refused to eat anything else for 4 days so we didn't use them again. They are pretty much like candy for beardies.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yikes :shock: Well i wont feed him anymore of the waxworms. So pretty much the 50ct is a waste really. Is that a side effect that eating too much waxworms can cause laziness? :lol:

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Here's some photos of him, it seems like his belly is really bloated and maybe swollen from eating too much waxworms?

neilkd21

Hatchling Member
He looks good, healthy and happy. The belly looks well fed but isn't a problem, doesnt look swollen, when they young they grow so fast so don't worry about it, especially if you cut way down on the wax worms. I have heard silk worms are really good if you can get them where you live, haven't used them myself as can't get them in England but they are meant to be great as a staple. Calci worms are also really good, high in calcium and protein but low in fat.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ok thank you, good to know. I know they are used for a treat but wasn't sure exactly how many waxworms is ideal :lol: I'll definitely keep in mind waxworms are fed sparingly. I usually like to buy samples from the store to see how he reacts although he usually eats about everything in sight lol. Just wondering where i can get Calci-worms and silkworms at a good price.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Reptilelady":yz0lz7l5 said:
Ok thank you, good to know. I know they are used for a treat but wasn't sure exactly how many waxworms is ideal :lol: I'll definitely keep in mind waxworms are fed sparingly. I usually like to buy samples from the store to see how he reacts although he usually eats about everything in sight lol. Just wondering where i can get Calci-worms and silkworms at a good price.

Google reptile foods / feeder insects .'

If you want super cheap silkworms, buy them as eggs ( 200 - 300 is a good number ) and hatch your own , they do very well as tiny newly hatched worms on fresh tender mulberry leaves , chow is OK if you are unable to find a mulberry tree or source a supply of fresh mulberry leaves.
in about a month the little silkworms will look like silkworms and be about 1 cm long.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the info.

Been observing him because he seems to not have an appetite since i have given him so many waxworms that day. Been giving him fresh veggies/salad each day in hopes that hopefully those waxworms will finally pass through and get it out of his system. Do you know how long it will take until he starts having an appetite again? Very unusual for him since he will eat a lot of crickets and now he seems to look at them uninterested :lol:

Curious... how long is it okay for a beardie to not eat? Week?

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I also found out from a vet saying waxworms causes constipation so i gave my little guy a bath. He definitely went in the bath. I also used reptisafe water conditioner. This is helping his sheds as well.

I dont think i will be giving him anymore waxworms. They are literally a glob of fat wiggling around. I feel so bad for him too :cry:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
silkworms1.gif

about the %fat in waxworms as in superworms .

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Great chart, very helpful!
Is it called Morio Worm because i do not see superworms on the chart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom