Still not eating and loosing weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordecai

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks Cooper I have been giving him water by dropper. I hope the blood work shows something also but nothing to bad.

Mordecai

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So the vet git back to me on the blood work and she said it all looks normal excep slight elevation in serum proteins and packed cell volumes (red blood cells) indicate he was slightly dehydrated at time of exam. She did says that they didn't do any smears so she was going to request those and get back to me. So really still no answer to his weight lose :(

Mordecai

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So just thought I would post an update on Mordecai. He has finally started eating on his own both bugs and salad. Not gaining weight yet but not loosing any either. I am so excited. Not sure what was wrong. Will still have him tested for adv and having another fecal done tomorrow just to make sure he is still parasite free.
86288-6110458956.jpg
86288-6549184196.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's great news ! I'd leave well enough alone and let him get in to a good eating routine before testing + treating for parasites.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I'm so glad to hear this, it has been a long and stressful road for the two of you. I'm sure he'll start gaining weight soon as he eats more and more, but the fecal is an excellent idea, just to make sure he doesn't have a high parasite count that could be preventing him from gaining.

If he does end up having parasites or worms and needs to take an antiparasitic or antibiotic for coccidia, I'd make sure that he gets probiotics as well, just to make sure he doesn't stop eating again because the meds are upsetting his tummy.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I don't think he should....some vets give meds. even if the count is low or moderate. Mordecai had no parasites but was not eating for quite a while and is now eating so I think it's probably best to let him get some good eating done to feel like a normal lizard. Probiotics help some dragon's appetites during parasite treatment but other dragons lose their appetite regardless of being on probiotics. I say let the beardie feast !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom