Possible MBD and my experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
I adopted our beardie from my ex, setup and all. There was a uva light for a basking and some infrared light on the other side of tank. About a week ago he seemed to be really lethargic and not himself. Two days ago his limbs started trembling. Different ones at different times. I went on a few sites and found it may be MBD, and what may cause it. He wasn't​ getting the right light source since August. Went to pet shop bought a UVB tube light, fed him his calcium coated crickets and veggies, and waited. When we woke up he barely shaking, and moving along better. Today, he's almost himself. Chasing crickets and jumping around. From what I heard, that MBD can be hard to shake. Not sure exactly what was going on with him, just wanted to share my story.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, glad he seems to be doing better already. :) I've seen that happen before, and getting them in the sun can help , too. It's not actually MBD initially but is very low calcium.....the calcium can't be absorbed + utilized without proper uvb. So if you catch it quickly the twitching symptoms that can be a precursor to MBD can be halted. So it's not MBD at that stage, but low calcium.

cdemers111

Original Poster
Thank you for the quick reply! I appreciate the info. That's very good to know. I haven't had him here long, but he grew on me.. It was very hard watching him go through all that. I think i said in my initial post, that we adopted him from my ex. She bought him for my son, and decided she couldn't afford the time or money. It's all new to me. There's alot to learn about beardies. Before him, I was only a proud owner of a few tetras and goldfish, lol. "Henry" (or Henrietta) is a little more work than sprinkling some flakes! So glad we nipped it early. Thanks​ again!

Corey

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome ! Keep up the calcium dusting + always have good uvb exposure and he/she should be fine. If you want me to help determine the gender you can post a pic with his tail arched in the air while he is flat on a table. Think of a dog with it's tail high in the air when it's alert. Then take a few pics of the rear end [ cloaca ] while the tail is in that position.

cdemers111

Original Poster
Hmm. I haven't really seen em do that outside his tank. If I get the opportunity, I'll definitely post a photo. Ty!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom